Archived Cutting hours

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you get the folks who insist on needing pre sharpened pencils, and if you don't have them in stock the non sharpened ones just aren't good enough? I love them.

In a way yes, people shop the list and it has to be exact. I understand at least here some schools take the supplies on day one and redistribute them back to the class. So they need exact things.

So many fucking glue sticks so many damn glue sticks..

Damn.
I'd better start stocking Starbucks for the influx of helicopter moms & the herds of 'tweens.
Ugh.

I went up for backup cashiering today, when I looked up to get off the lane it turned out I was the only person up there. These low hours are crazy. The guests are not responding well to being forced into self check out. Target promotes "ease" as their goal for guest experience then says "nah bag your own groceries people"

Do you get the folks who insist on needing pre sharpened pencils, and if you don't have them in stock the non sharpened ones just aren't good enough? I love them.
In large part, this is the fault of the administrators that write the school supply lists. A smaller part of it is parents who fail to use critical thinking skills.

In my experience, a lot of classrooms no longer have sharpeners - the schools aren't willing to replace them once they break or are stolen. So they demand pre-sharpened to remove the delay/distraction of needing to sharpen a pencil. If you look at the lists, there's usually also a sharpener on there so the kids can take care of that business elsewhere. As if.

In a way yes, people shop the list and it has to be exact. I understand at least here some schools take the supplies on day one and redistribute them back to the class. So they need exact things.

I've been through this as well, and as a parent it pissed me the hell off, because premium items that were specially requested by my child were co-opted to the classroom supply. I get that there are families that can't afford supplies. I've been there myself. But at least tell me that's what's going on in advance. Hell, for all you know, that might just trigger parents buying extra specifically for distribution in addition to the supplies for their own spawn.

Last edited:
Ohhh gotcha LOL ik where everything in my store is... Im excited first time gonna do back to school! OHHH gosh I think thats the worst products to put in the seasonal area and zoning is gonna be hell for that!
Back to school.. Have you ever done a back to school season? If not buckle up buttercup its going to be a bumpy ride..

Know where your pink pearl erasers are and your graph paper notebooks.. Your store may vary but those are the two questions I could go the rest of my life without ever hearing again.

I'm wondering about the parents who shop:
1)@target.com.....SFS
2) drive-up /pick-up
3) shipt

I don't even want to imagine it.........

So who does GS the last couple of hours each day? Or Drive Up, or sorts reshop?

That would be me... the GSA. Most nights it’s no biggie. But a holiday week. It was horrible.

My kids' school did pre-orders last year for school supplies, but the company that did them didn't have them ready for the start of school, so apparently they didn't reup this year. I really liked that, and am not looking forward to shopping from the lists again this year.

Just checked the school supply list for my kid's school. Pre-sharpened pencils are on there. Underlined, even.

We have an ancient powered one that my kids will love to use to go to town on a couple packages of pencils.

That would be me the GSA. Most nights it’s no biggie. But a holiday week. It was horrible.

:eek:
How is that even possible? If you are outside how do you know if a cashier needs help or there is a guest with a return?

I've been through this as well, and as a parent it pissed me the hell off, because premium items that were specially requested by my child were co-opted to the classroom supply. I get that there are families that can't afford supplies. I've been there myself. But at least tell me that's what's going on in advance. Hell, for all you know, that might just trigger parents buying extra specifically for distribution in addition to the supplies for their own spawn.

This has been going on forever. 15 years ago I knew to send only a small portion of what was on the list the first day because the sheer quantity was being used to support families who couldn't afford supplies, and I was one of those families.

However the lists are ridiculous beyond belief. Maybe if they scaled back the "needed" list a LOT, there would be far fewer families that can't afford the stuff on the list. Like, why does it have to be Crayola instead of the cheaper Rose Art? Why Clorox (name brand specified) wipes? Why aren't the janitors providing Clorox wipes? Why boxes of Ziplock bags? Seriously, why do kids need Ziplock bags for learning academics? Why do elementary students need to bring baby wipes in addition to the Clorox wipes? Crayons, colored pencils and color markers??? Why are all three a requirement?

9 year old me in 1997: Hey mom can you bake some cookies for the school bake sale fundraiser thingy
Mom: REEEEEEEE WHY does a public school need fundraisers?!?? Isn't the state supposed to pay for that???
Me: Uh...

They made our parents buy us our own supplies and the only thing they gave us were borrowed textbooks from the 80s with taped spines.

They made our parents buy us our own supplies and the only thing they gave us were borrowed textbooks from the 80s with taped spines.

They made my generation's parents buy supplies too. But it was a super short list, barely more than paper, pencils, pens, crayons, scissors and a ruler. And there was no mandatory quantity, you were simply expected to have enough to get you through the day every day. Your parents wanted to buy a single pack of paper or could afford only a single pack, that was cool until the next paycheck. Even in high school a calculator of any kind was optional and not mandatory. Trapper Keepers were the cool thing, but the cheapest plastic binder was perfectly fine, as long as it held your papers and you found a way to keep your classes separated. You didn't even need separators if you found another method. And no, my generation did not ride dinosaurs to school, I'm pretty young.

I was told by someone older than me that the original modern laws for schools had the schools providing all supplies, and the only reason it's being ignored is partially because of under-funding and partially because taking money from that requirement paid for optional stuff like higher salaries and sports.

Edit: I just tracked down the local supply lists. Barely more than pens, pencils, a binder (yes, one), dividers, spiral notebooks, scissors, glue, a calculator and colored pencils/markers. Heck, pencils didn't even give a quantity, just "enough to last all year". If the local schools can bare bones it and thrive, then why do other areas (like the city I came from that lists Clorox and baby wipes) need so very much more?

Last edited:
This has been going on forever. 15 years ago I knew to send only a small portion of what was on the list the first day because the sheer quantity was being used to support families who couldn't afford supplies, and I was one of those families.

However the lists are ridiculous beyond belief. Maybe if they scaled back the "needed" list a LOT, there would be far fewer families that can't afford the stuff on the list. Like, why does it have to be Crayola instead of the cheaper Rose Art? Why Clorox (name brand specified) wipes? Why aren't the janitors providing Clorox wipes? Why boxes of Ziplock bags? Seriously, why do kids need Ziplock bags for learning academics? Why do elementary students need to bring baby wipes in addition to the Clorox wipes? Crayons, colored pencils and color markers??? Why are all three a requirement?

Ziplock bags to hold supplies and stuff from projects, Crayola - cause they actually work, Clorox wipes cause they can actually clean down their desks(janitorial doesn't clean desks). I agree any antibacterial wipe would work but I think they use Clorox as an example of what kind they want. Baby wipes to clean themselves. And add the glue sticks, those damn lids on them suck so always, one or two pop off killing the glue stick.

Because the portion of property taxes that's allocated to the schools isn't enough to cover expenses or the districts are doing a crap job of managing resources. Why does a gym teacher get to make 6 figures? And no, I'm not exaggerating, that was exactly the situation at my old high school a few years ago.

Back to the original topic, working only 2 five hour shifts and 1 four and a half hour shift so far this week really makes it hard for me to care and want to go in for my 7.5 hour shift tomorrow.

:eek:
How is that even possible? If you are outside how do you know if a cashier needs help or there is a guest with a return?
You just hope there’s someone close that can help or the lod has to stay close to the front to handle it. We wear about 7 hats as GSAs here. And we rely on a lot of help.

You just hope there’s someone close that can help or the lod has to stay close to the front to handle it. We wear about 7 hats as GSAs here. And we rely on a lot of help.

Dang, hope your store's leadership kept the .50 shift differential for you guys because the expectations are off the charts!

We cut about 200 hours today. Barely had anybody on a busy Saturday. 5 flow to push residual truck until 11 am. Drive Up TM had to run Guest Service. The first HL-TM was scheduled at 11 am. No HL-ETL or TL. 1 TM to backstock as much of the Backroom until 1130 am end time. 2 TMs for the backroom were told to not come in. OPU TM was slashed from 8.5 to 5 hours. SFS had three, 2 of whom scheduled to 12 pm, leaving the last to 4pm. 3 cashiers and a GSTL. That's just what I can remember. This slash-back occurred yesterday afternoon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back