Archived Defective merchandise

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see a fair amount of stuff being thrown out at my store for minor damage. What is Target's policy on me cherry-picking items that are otherwise going to be thrown into the trash compactor?

If it were allowed, people would quickly begin taking advantage of it: say there's a microwave you like, you could "accidentally" give it some scratches & defect it out & take it home.

Big no-no. Same level as stealing undamaged product or hiding product off the sales floor to purchase. Just don't.

Aren't we allowed to hold product at guest service just like a guest hold? I was told we could at my store. I know that's not the point of this thread but just wondering if the ETL that said we could was just talking out his... well ... you know lol.

If it were allowed, people would quickly begin taking advantage of it: say there's a microwave you like, you could "accidentally" give it some scratches & defect it out & take it home.
I definitely see how that would be a concern. It's a shame. Seems such a waste. I've seen everything from loose silverware to furniture with non-essential pieces missing end up in the compactor. Things that I would gladly take home myself.

Big no-no. Same level as stealing undamaged product or hiding product off the sales floor to purchase. Just don't.

Aren't we allowed to hold product at guest service just like a guest hold? I was told we could at my store. I know that's not the point of this thread but just wondering if the ETL that said we could was just talking out his... well ... you know lol.

You are, so long as that product was on the floor for at least 15 minutes. What I was referring to was say, taking the last sale item/hot new game console/whatever and either buying it straight outta the back room or a go-back cart, or stashing it somewhere off the floor until later (i.e. not a 24 hour hold at guest services, since there are some items we don't hold like clearance or new game consoles). If it's just regular merch off the floor you want to buy after your shift or whatever you're good.

my store had an ETL get fired for taking that stuff home with her. don't do it!

I was always trained to follow the POS for defecting merchandise. The only time I was allowed to override the POS was to change only a few items to Destroy, mainly glass items and perishables.

It really varies a lot depending on your store culture what 'benefits' you can and can't have. I work service desk and its completely normal for anyone behind that counter to reserve an item that is online-only or is on clearance or a new console or whatever. TMs do it, leadership does it, everyone just has a mutual agreement for those kinds of things at my store. If we get perfect unopened candy returned that POS auto-destroys we'll keep it as a treat in our drawers sometimes or give it to the GSTL to give to the cashiers.

We use a common sense approach when defecting things out at my store; so I regularly end up overriding to red because the POS isn't the smartest. Somehow I don't think they'll be able to salvage this plastic ball that's cut in half.

Years ago our store was bad about that kind of stuff. We only did it for food but it was amazing how much beef jerky and fruit role ups came back as defective every night because of the flow process. Food we let the team eat until we finally got an AP who said you will get fired for doing so.

I worked at 3 stores during my tenure and they were all different.

Some went just by the POS and strictly by the book and another gave the guest an inch then a mile.

At one store, we were never to hold anything for guests. Another store we could hold only regular priced items. Another store we could hold anything but clearance.

One store Electronics wouldn't even pull a large flat screen unless the guest was in the store and ready to buy it. The other stores they could be coming next day and we were told to pull it and put it on hold on the line.

Cel is correct, a big no-no.

The store I'm at allows/disallows:

Open bags of candy and busted open packages of water for example are not to be defected out and taken to the break room. They are to either be donated or tossed. If an ETL does that it's their business, I, however, don't wish to be fired over something like that.

If an item has been defected out as Salvage and someone wants to purchase it, I will ask an LOD if it's ok to sell it. Most of the time they say it's ok because they will look at it as a sale instead of losing money (we don't receive full price from the salvager, only a small percentage). If they say yes, I will delete the defective sticker, 'return the item to salefloor' and then mark it down.

I was always trained to follow the POS for defecting merchandise. The only time I was allowed to override the POS was to change only a few items to Destroy, mainly glass items and perishables.
I was taught exactly the same way. Glass, broken plastic items, food and leaking chemicals/HBA that would prompt as salvage were to be overridden to destroy.

We aren't allowed to hold clearance items at the service desk or anywhere else.

Most lightly damaged items can and should be processed through SIM (a box of light bulbs missing one or two, a scratched piece of furniture, hair ties that are missing a few, etc). That way the store can still make some money off an item instead of very little to nothing.

It really varies a lot depending on your store culture what 'benefits' you can and can't have. I work service desk and its completely normal for anyone behind that counter to reserve an item that is online-only or is on clearance or a new console or whatever. TMs do it, leadership does it, everyone just has a mutual agreement for those kinds of things at my store. If we get perfect unopened candy returned that POS auto-destroys we'll keep it as a treat in our drawers sometimes or give it to the GSTL to give to the cashiers.

We use a common sense approach when defecting things out at my store; so I regularly end up overriding to red because the POS isn't the smartest. Somehow I don't think they'll be able to salvage this plastic ball that's cut in half.

That's another "no, no." Something that is defected out (like candy) should be tossed or donated - not kept in the store to be eaten by team members. The candy should be requisitioned, instead. Also, online-only items should be placed on the sales floor so that guests may have an equal chance of purchasing the item. ie. The item shouldn't be kept at guest service so a team member can have an "unfair advantage" and purchase the item.

For awhile one of the old e h r we had , would put the qmosd food in break room.....if it was barely out of date or only about to go out of date etc. Candy, chips, things like that...nothing that would make anyone sick...then one day it stopped. The DTL had came in and saw it and told them that was a big no no.

For awhile one of the old e h r we had , would put the qmosd food in break room.....if it was barely out of date or only about to go out of date etc. Candy, chips, things like that...nothing that would make anyone sick...then one day it stopped. The DTL had came in and saw it and told them that was a big no no.

It is a big no-no. As jenna said, such items should be requisitioned. If an item is defected out (since when can you QMOS dry food?) and isn't Red Toss or overridden to Red Toss, it's supposed to leave the store via the reverse logistics process. To do otherwise would result in shortage.

Once, I almost got in massive trouble for a buying an "online only" sweater. I had processed the return, softlines came to get their reshop and 45 minutes later I went on break. The sweater had been put on the sales floor and was staring at, crying "buy me! Buy me! I'm only $6!" So I did. Except, the sweater had only been on the rack for 5 minutes, which I was unaware of. A guest, who had been debating the sweater but didn't put it in her cart complained to the lod who tried to make me return the sweater but I refused, as I had every reason to assume it had been on the floor long enough.
The stl, who had been at gs sided with me at least. And then asked sl why it took 45 minutes to get piece of shop on the floor.

Nice. Although that's hilarious, our STL would only ask why if it took a week days. Reshop gets done about 3x a week at my store, although fitting room usually grabs theirs a couple times a day (not necessarily puts it out but takes it), except on wednesdays when they just do 4x4s and let the reshop pile up.

It is a big no-no. As jenna said, such items should be requisitioned. If an item is defected out (since when can you QMOS dry food?) and isn't Red Toss or overridden to Red Toss, it's supposed to leave the store via the reverse logistics process. To do otherwise would result in shortage.
Right which is why I said the candy I spoke of is auto-destroyed by the POS already. (Red toss) ._. As is all food. Our store will essentially place on hold any item for any guest including clearance. As far as team members reserving things for themselves, there is what "should be" done in corp's eyes and what your own particular store's culture actually approves of.

Nice. Although that's hilarious, our STL would only ask why if it took a week days. Reshop gets done about 3x a week at my store, although fitting room usually grabs theirs a couple times a day (not necessarily puts it out but takes it), except on wednesdays when they just do 4x4s and let the reshop pile up.

Wait ? What's this ?? That's allowed ?

That's actually how leadership wants it done. They basically ignore guest service unless they need something until reshop piles up to the ceiling, then have the FDC truck push team do it if they finish early or something. Softlines, electronics, and p-fresh excluded. +

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back