Archived Delivering a termination

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a question, if a TM is on the verge of being performanced out by their TL, who usually delivers the termination, is it the TL, ETL, or both? I can't seem to find a best practice on this issue.

I have a question, if a TM is on the verge of being performanced out by their TL, who usually delivers the termination, is it the TL, ETL, or both? I can't seem to find a best practice on this issue.
I would guess that the ETL would be the one to do it, but I am not sure.

Team Leader. Sometimes ETL. Depends on the situation, but usually the TL. Basically, if there isn't a TL working when the TM comes to work, that's when an ETL will do it.

The vast majority of terminations at my store are done by either the STL or an ETL, although I did deliver one once. Actually, I've never heard of another TL delivering one.

At my store. Your team leader will deliver the termination with either another TL or someone from hr or ap. Once you are terminated you are walked out by ap or hr.

It sounds like a ASANTS type of thing I guess. My store doesn't seem to have a set practice. I think it's done according to what each ETL says. My Sr Merch had me issue a compliance CCA to one of my TMs and I always thought that ETLs had to do that.

It sounds like a ASANTS type of thing I guess. My store doesn't seem to have a set practice. I think it's done according to what each ETL says. My Sr Merch had me issue a compliance CCA to one of my TMs and I always thought that ETLs had to do that.
as a tl i've done cca's

terms at my store are etl.

that said, its the same format and i don't have a problem doing it if needed. hey you were on a corrective and did it again.

as a tl i've done cca's

terms at my store are etl.

that said, its the same format and i don't have a problem doing it if needed. hey you were on a corrective and did it again.
I've delivered CCAs but I was referring to issuing compliance for hitting their 5th hour.

The vast majority of terminations at my store are done by either the STL or an ETL, although I did deliver one once. Actually, I've never heard of another TL delivering one.

What is the difference between STL and ETL I've never heard of STL

What is the difference between STL and ETL I've never heard of STL
STL is the "Store Team Leader" or general manager in charge of the entire store and ETL is an Executive Team Leader in charge of several departments aka the assistant manager.

At my store, either my STL or an ETL will deliver a term.

Coincidentally, I just explained all the different leadership levels at Target to my team during huddle tonight (because I told them I was stepping down from SrTL and most TMs have no idea what that is). So don't feel bad. Years ago I had a fellow GSA ask what the difference between the STL and the ETL-HR was, and he had worked at that store with me for at least 3 years at that point (and we were both GSAs together for about 2 of those years).

Coincidentally, I just explained all the different leadership levels at Target to my team during huddle tonight (because I told them I was stepping down from SrTL and most TMs have no idea what that is). So don't feel bad. Years ago I had a fellow GSA ask what the difference between the STL and the ETL-HR was, and he had worked at that store with me for at least 3 years at that point (and we were both GSAs together for about 2 of those years).

What is an SrTL? I worked at target for a year and i never knew what that was.

Top to bottom...
STL - Store Team Leader - highest position at the store level.
ETL - Executive Team Leader - second highest. Head of a large area of the store. I've heard of Sr ETLs, but haven't had any in my store, but they'd be between ETL and STL.
SrTL - Senior Team Leader - below ETL, but has some LOD (Leader On Duty) shifts. TL for a small area of the store.
TL - Team Leader - head of a small area of the store.
Then you have the rest of the TMs, though you could say that GSA/FSA/PA are slightly above them.

So as a SrTL, I am the team leader for my areas and still have all of those responsibilities that I have always had, but I also have about two LOD shifts per week where I am in charge of the entire store. My workload in my areas didn't really decrease, but I suddenly had two fewer days in which to get that workload done. Add in some increasing expectations from a new STL (which is good for the store) and a mean ETL (which is really bad for the store...) and you have a recipe for stress. $1.75/hour is not worth it to me. Plus I have to answer to my Starbucks District Manager (who is really nice, but I can tell he isn't going to keep letting me get away with stuff just because I have other responsibilities), Steritech (and I can hardly spend time in Starbucks/Food Ave to catch the things that Steritech would ding us on), and EcoSure (annual unannounced visit to make sure we are following Pizza Hut standards).

Edit: hehe I sound a bit whiny, but I feel like I've earned it

My Sr Merch had me issue a compliance CCA to one of my TMs
Is that a lunch compliance? We print a sheet every day of anyone who missed a punch or punched out late for a meal (here it's 6 hours). LOD is responsible to see that it is all done, but any ETL/TL can do it. Usually it's just a coaching for that unless the tm does it tons. I think it is a good idea for you to coach/cca your team. So many other ETL/TLs have no real idea what goes on in Starbucks. I also like to get my tms perspective straight from them.

though you could say that GSA/FSA/PA are slightly above them.

Keep in mind only for their departments. We had a gsa that was always trying to bug the backroom like asking how until we finish out workload or if we are keeping the br flex area neat. Like stfu

Is that a lunch compliance? We print a sheet every day of anyone who missed a punch or punched out late for a meal (here it's 6 hours). LOD is responsible to see that it is all done, but any ETL/TL can do it. Usually it's just a coaching for that unless the tm does it tons. I think it is a good idea for you to coach/cca your team. So many other ETL/TLs have no real idea what goes on in Starbucks. I also like to get my tms perspective straight from them.
Yes lunch compliance. It's a big deal in Cali so if you hit your fifth hour it's an automatic CCA. I am the only one that coaches/CCAs my team because I know what's going on, and they give me their perspective and on the other hand if they try to make an excuse or pull the wool over my eyes, I won't fall for it. I had one TM that always made excuses and I knew it was all BS. Any other ETL/TL may have fallen for it because of their lack of knowledge of how Starbucks operates.

if they try to make an excuse or pull the wool over my eyes, I won't fall for it.
Exactly! When I first took over sbux, a tm told the closing LOD that she didn't have to empty the espresso machine, and other required tasks. She just wanted to leave early, and the LOD figured it was OK. AAARRRGGGHHH. On the other hand, I have had LODs try to tell me to coach my team on somethings that they shouldn't be coached on. Definitely feels like I work in a completely different business sometimes.

Exactly! When I first took over sbux, a tm told the closing LOD that she didn't have to empty the espresso machine, and other required tasks. She just wanted to leave early, and the LOD figured it was OK. AAARRRGGGHHH. On the other hand, I have had LODs try to tell me to coach my team on somethings that they shouldn't be coached on. Definitely feels like I work in a completely different business sometimes.
My ETLs always default to me when it comes to Starbucks specific questions. They wouldn't coach them or have me coach them if they were uncertain. They would tell me and I would give them an answer and if my TM was in the wrong and they knew they were wrong, I would talk to them and determine if it was going to be a coaching conversation based on their answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back