COVID-19 Demand that Target Protect and Compensate the Team As Covid Surges On!

Are you willing to organize at your store or with team members from other stores?

• Yes, I’m in!

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • Maybe, but I need more information!

Votes: 4 10.0%
  • I’m nervous to speak up, but am interested.

Votes: 8 20.0%
  • No, I can’t afford to risk it.

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • No, I don’t agree with this type of organizing.

Votes: 23 57.5%

• Total voters
Hi friends!

My name is Jon and my pronouns are they, them, their.

I’m here to ask you all as fellow team members how you’re feeling about the pandemic as an essential worker, whether you feel like your needs are being met?

Are you feeling stressed, stuck, frustrated, scared about safety, about pay, about hours and the work environment itself? Are you feeling like it’s Groundhog Day, like you’re zoning out, but also working super hard to get all your tasks done? Do you feel nervous about the amount of guests allowed in the store? Or how some guests are being verbally abusive to team members? Are you frustrated about guests refusing to wear masks or not wearing them properly? Are you receiving support from team leads or does the environment feel stressful or hostile? Are you struggling against any type of discriminatory treatment based on your identity or specific status?

My intention is to inspire us to self-reflect, find pride in our worth, and organize to create a safer, healthier work environment during and after the pandemic.

The pandemic has been traumatic and exhausting. 340,000 Americans have lost their lives to COVID-19. That is more than 1 out of every 1,000 Americans. Those who survive often develop health problems brought on by the virus. Working out in public has been incredibly stressful and essential workers like us are at a risk of contracting Covid-19 and potentially spreading it to our families.

Our work—our wages—are the means by which we pay to take care of our bodies. Yet the health and safety of our bodies are at risk. We’re not able to rest, to have recreation or vacation. We risk not getting paid if we don’t go to work or if we contract Covid-19 multiple times or if we’re exposed multiple times. Team members’ hours are being cut, thus their funds are getting cut without aid or help.

The reality is that large companies like Target have made huge profits while millions of Americans-the working class, people with disabilities, women, Black, Latinx and Indigenous communities, poor and working-class LGBTQ+ are dying, unemployed, suffering financially, and exposed to the virus. As essential workers, WE are creating massive profits for Target while exposed to the public and a deadly virus, yet earning less then livable wages.

In other words, we work for a corporation that uses our bodies to make profits that we do not have fair access to.

The reality is the company fabricates profit goals. And our body is the labor that manifests those goals. Without us, there is no profit, there is no company, there is no building, there is no business, there are no products, there are no customers. We ARE the profit. We ARE the corporation. Yet, structurally, as median income workers, we are not invited into the boardrooms, we do not have top stock in the company, we do not actually have a say. We are layers and layers removed from the decision-making process. And the wages set for median income workers barely finance our most basic physiological needs and neglect our needs for healthcare, rest, recreation, and vacation.

Even before the pandemic, capitalism has been brutally unjust and inequitable. Let me paint a picture of what it looks like at Target.

Our CEO, Brian Cornell, earned $21.6 million ending February 1, 2020. His base salary was $1.4 million. That is approximately $729 per hour. The median salary for executive leaders is $240,000 a year. That is approximately $115 per hour. In 2019, the median employee pay was $23,000 per year, with a current base pay of $15 per hour. The CEO to median worker ratio is 821 to 1. How is it morally or ethically acceptable to pay yourself over 800 times more than your employees?

Expecting more—a number like $20 per hour while executives make $100— is not unreasonable. It’s not even asking much in comparison. The system is stacked against us. And we must know that we deserve more. And we deserve to fight for more, to protect and defend our bodies, our lives.

The history of capitalism and labor rights is one of oppression and exploitation. Unionizing efforts are often squashed by large corporations using intimidation and termination tactics. Workers have historically been discouraged from practicing their federal rights to organize and bargain for better conditions and wages.

I want to stress that it IS OUR RIGHT to organize and advocate for better working conditions! I understand it takes a lot of effort to build trust and support in order to successfully organize and get things accomplished. In doing so, we could face backlash. There is a real risk of retaliation, a hostile work environment, or even getting fired. But if we know our rights, build confidence and support amongst ourselves as workers, we have immense power in numbers, and we could decide our own fate.

Imagine team members banning together, offering financial, emotional and social support through the struggles of advocating for our rights, and finally getting to a place where we organize and collectively demand the conditions we deserve. We can collaborate and openly discuss what are our most pressing needs, who is the most vulnerable, who is struggling. We could spark the revolution we need in rebuilding a more fair society, economy and world.

America has sold us a very brutal story, that we have to suffer to be worthy. And my firm belief is that in a highly industrialized, functioning, organized society, we all deserve to win, to live well and healthy. There is no excuse for the brutality of our current economic structures or the lack of support we have received as working-class Americans during a vicious pandemic. Let’s organize and work for change!

I have a petition that I started at my store! Check it out and get an idea of what I was asking for in my store.

Log in or sign up · Change.org - https://www.change.org/p/target-demand-that-target-protect-team-members-and-community-as-covid-19-surges-on-uncontrolled/dashboard

Also check out the petition for Target Workers Unite and sign up so your contact information can be available to TWU for further organizing efforts!!

Target, treat us like the essential workers we are! - https://form.jotform.com/203515403748150?fbclid=IwAR2dxFyO_1hg7WIwiONxbRcouyAv90ZjKRnPPBD30gaAU9wewXm3WecvdAo

If you’ve read this far, thanks for your time!! Message me on here if you want to chat and throw ideas around with me!! Stay safe 💚💚

Last edited:
I'm going to leave this up for now.
I also know that it could turn into a dumpster fire so just don't.
Be thoughtful, be reasonable, and if you can't, don't post.
Otherwise,

425.gif

I'm also going to stay out of this even though I have pretty strong feelings on it.

I'm going to leave this up for now.
I also know that it could turn into a dumpster fire so just don't.
Be thoughtful, be reasonable, and if you can't, don't post.
Otherwise,

425.gif

I'm also going to stay out of this even though I have pretty strong feelings on it.
Thank you! I know this could get intense. I’m definitely looking to engage folks respectfully. I am also ok with working through disagreements and having touch dialogue. Please keep it up if you can or maybe delete folks posts who are being rude or overtly disrespectful?

To me, I’m not thinking about of how we are in comparison to other stores because I’m trying to get folks to realize that our standards for safety and pay in retail industry are low to start with. The fact that hundreds are still allowed into our stores and they were already going to raise us to $15 before the pandemic shows that they are not actually paying hazard pay and the conditions are still dangerous. These are a just a few examples to show that corporations will give the least amount they can while trying to still turn profits. Safety is still secondary to the numbers and profit and traditional functioning of the store. To combat Covid, as thousands are still dying, we need to be taking even more measures such as temp checks and health screenings of employees, no guests in store, to limit exposure as much as possible. We will reach 500,000 or half a million deaths very soon and we have to stop the spread every way we can.

As long as Target is doing as well or better than comparables they aren't going to change or at least no much unless it gets them something like more business. I think you have a better shot at lawmakers and perhaps even shoppers than using Target employees to change the hearts and minds of the corporate bean counters. Many of the seasonals that are being let go early next month would have no problem jumping into any vacancy. That being said Target does have a responsibility to enforce their own policies and local mandates.

How would this work, realistically? Even if you got 25% of all team members to agree which would be a very, very difficult thing to manage, there's nothing stopping Target from getting rid of everyone organizing, as they have done with other attempts at this kind of thing, and just hiring other people. Especially right now when seasonal people all over are looking for jobs, they'd likely have no problem filling the positions.

Those are good points! The thing is, realistically it WOULD be hard to organize without them getting rid of folks. However, I feel like by organizing openly and taking about our legal rights to do so, it may provide a buffer. And if Target does take retaliatory actions, making sure to file complaints and charges against them. I think the process has to just happen for the American people to see the tactics that companies use. It would require emotional labor, sharing stories with communities openly, transparency, even mutual aid among organized workers to deal with potential repercussions of retaliation. It takes a fight and one that we have to start realizing is one worth fighting.

Oh yes, I’m pretty aware of that. We don’t have to join a union to organize or collaborate together!

I really don’t know what more they can do. Maybe put lower limits on guest capacity, I can get behind that. But they’re doing a lot.
Literally tell people they canNOT shop in Target regardless of the reason they are not wearing a mask. Let TSS announce a maskless guest is in the store. Those who won't cover their nose should be told that they must leave. Enough of the "educate the guest" mentality. After this long, only a moron doesn't know that THIS IS TARGET'S POLICY. Let us enforce it immediately!!!

Literally tell people they canNOT shop in Target regardless of the reason they are not wearing a mask. Let TSS announce a maskless guest is in the store. Those who won't cover their nose should be told that they must leave. Enough of the "educate the guest" mentality. After this long, only a moron doesn't know that THIS IS TARGET'S POLICY. Let us enforce it immediately!!!
They should also be more strict across the board with TMs who slack. I know they are watching and I've heard that people have gotten written up - yet those TMs are still here and still pulling their damn masks down. Enforcement is necessary.

Target will never be organized. It has worked for other corporations, but they have something target doesn't have. That is a large percentage of retention with their employees. Most target TMs don't last a whole year. Target TMs are too replaceable to ask them to put their income on the line for your ideals.

I really don’t know what more they can do. Maybe put lower limits on guest capacity, I can get behind that. But they’re doing a lot.
  • People are saying that Target policies mean far too tight grouping of TMs, such as around GS or in the backroom. Things could be altered to keep clumps from forming, whether it be moving things or whether it be different timings.
  • The guest count being considerably lower with a hard limit, and masks could also be enforced as a no-opt out policy, wear it or stay out/get out. More AP or even outside security for the purpose of handling guests pissed off about masks.
  • Allowing TMs without retribution - actually encouraging them - to tell guests to recover their face or to step 6 feet away and refuse assistance until one or the other is done.
  • Less hoops and contradictory information when it comes to COVID-19 leave, a more streamlined process of who to talk to, informing that contact person from corporate on down how they are to handle it, and define what qualifies as paid leave when it comes to mandatory quarantine.
  • Fixing the hotline so that COVID-19 complaints, such as being made to work with a fever, can be made without retaliation and will actually result in a thorough investigation.
  • When there appears to be a cluster (several TMs in a short time) shut the store down for a few days - not for purposes of a deep clean, but to break the cycle of transmission by getting everyone away from each other.
  • Moving the bulk of things overnight so the number of TMs in the store during open hours is minimal because there's nothing else to do than zone and reshop. Yes, that means taking the modernization bible and peeing on it, but lives rate just a little above that.
  • Aggressive and frequent policing by districts and corporate to ensure stores are following safety procedures to the letter, including inserting fake hires so there's "in your face" proof not swept under the rug for visits, and following up swiftly for any leadership fails.
  • Alter pricing so there is a "sin tax" and a "virtue tax", discouraging purchase of items designed for large gatherings (anyone buying that stuff clearly doesn't care about social distancing and likely doesn't care about pulling a mask down) and encouraging purchases of things that keep you home. Prices should offset each other so no financial loss to stores, but it will draw in a different, more cautious clientele.
This is what I can think of right after reading this thread. I'm sure there's more. So no, they aren't doing a lot. There's so much more they can do.

• People are saying that Target policies mean far too tight grouping of TMs, such as around GS or in the backroom. Things could be altered to keep clumps from forming, whether it be moving things or whether it be different timings.
  • The guest count being considerably lower with a hard limit, and masks could also be enforced as a no-opt out policy, wear it or stay out/get out. More AP or even outside security for the purpose of handling guests pissed off about masks.
  • Allowing TMs without retribution - actually encouraging them - to tell guests to recover their face or to step 6 feet away and refuse assistance until one or the other is done.
  • Less hoops and contradictory information when it comes to COVID-19 leave, a more streamlined process of who to talk to, informing that contact person from corporate on down how they are to handle it, and define what qualifies as paid leave when it comes to mandatory quarantine.
  • Fixing the hotline so that COVID-19 complaints, such as being made to work with a fever, can be made without retaliation and will actually result in a thorough investigation.
  • When there appears to be a cluster (several TMs in a short time) shut the store down for a few days - not for purposes of a deep clean, but to break the cycle of transmission by getting everyone away from each other.
  • Moving the bulk of things overnight so the number of TMs in the store during open hours is minimal because there's nothing else to do than zone and reshop. Yes, that means taking the modernization bible and peeing on it, but lives rate just a little above that.
  • Aggressive and frequent policing by districts and corporate to ensure stores are following safety procedures to the letter, including inserting fake hires so there's "in your face" proof not swept under the rug for visits, and following up swiftly for any leadership fails.
  • Alter pricing so there is a "sin tax" and a "virtue tax", discouraging purchase of items designed for large gatherings (anyone buying that stuff clearly doesn't care about social distancing and likely doesn't care about pulling a mask down) and encouraging purchases of things that keep you home. Prices should offset each other so no financial loss to stores, but it will draw in a different, more cautious clientele.
This is what I can think of right after reading this thread. I'm sure there's more. So no, they aren't doing a lot. There's so much more they can do.

I'd like to see that TMs get written up for not wearing their mask properly. Our managers are fine, but there are a few TMs who they just ignore.

As far as GS and the backroom, has there been any spread in those areas in stores where TMs are wearing their masks correctly? There has not been spread in my store, in those areas. We did have spread in one other area, but it was because TMs were not wearing masks when no one was watching them.

Costco tried that and still in Yakima WA has an outbreak of I think it was 150 positive employees. On that side of the mountain it's not a shock that they had a superspreader but shocking it happened at a Costco. I literally will not help people without their mask. I walk away. "respect the situation and I will be happy to help you." until then "nope".

Back