Pricing and Presentation Demerchandising Seasonal

Since the management team at my Target seems to only care about processes that get counted into metrics, no one bothered to demerchandise any of seasonal. We just today finished setting as we, 2 of us, had to demerch, repush, and backstock. Anyone else have this issue every time we have these sets in seasonal?

Weeks before, our tl started telling the etls that seasonal needs to be empty for us to be able to set and stock the area based on the hours given. Not demerch. Not repush. Now we won't get the push done or the backstock which makes it look like our fault.

Same boat here, but worse. We're only half set and barely filled back with that. And if mini salvages tomorrow, we have to set the remaining pogs for over there and fill back so seasonal will have to get pushed back to next week. Except there are basically no Plano hours next week so no one to set them. We're not even done setting sports from last week, lol. And all the stuff left in seasonal is essentials. The TL has tried to help pull stuff out but she's swamped with truck unload.

I know the blame will somehow fall on us for "not working fast enough" or finding some other "excuse" for not completing the work. Never mind I've been doing this a LONG time and know how much time this work ACTUALLY takes and I have some pretty damn good ideas on what would have made this whole set a hell of a lot smoother!

Same boat here, but worse. We're only half set and barely filled back with that. And if mini salvages tomorrow, we have to set the remaining pogs for over there and fill back so seasonal will have to get pushed back to next week. Except there are basically no Plano hours next week so no one to set them. We're not even done setting sports from last week, lol. And all the stuff left in seasonal is essentials. The TL has tried to help pull stuff out but she's swamped with truck unload.

I know the blame will somehow fall on us for "not working fast enough" or finding some other "excuse" for not completing the work. Never mind I've been doing this a LONG time and know how much time this work ACTUALLY takes and I have some pretty damn good ideas on what would have made this whole set a hell of a lot smoother!

Sorry for that. It sounds like hell. And I know what you mean by getting blamed, except that my tl is a beast when it comes to knowing all his numbers/hours/timelines. I never have to hear from any ETL any of their bullcrap because of that. I'm eternally grateful for that firewall.

We'll start the push tomorrow. If Valentine's salvages tomorrow then that's the other tl's issue. We set all of mini except for the consumables and other back wall. Still not much pushed in it though.

We are in the middle of a remodel so I have no idea when seasonal will set, we have market aisles there currently. But Mini had been condensed to the back wall and they had the remodel price change peep going through and pulling all the Bullseye salvage today. Then a few members of the remodel team and myself set almost all of the fixtures, cleaned, and put up most of the label strips. Tomorrow Plano will just have to reset the table, put up some strips and the pegs, and then fill. If the remodel workload is light in a day myself and my coworker have been setting pogs and sales planners to help out.

I took my stuff out of seasonal a few days before the area was set.

: preens :

Not the same can be said for the other fill groups.

Sometimes product is de-merched. Most times it's not.

Last edited:

Mini was sold hard before the weekend. So that was set and pushed Sun-Mon. But seasonal was still merched and with 2 setters and 1 grunt, it was slow going.

I was stuck in Essentials, since apparently the DC decided to send my DBOs twice their normal freight load. It's been a mess. And of course my SD is upset with progress, assuming I'm not pushing my POG team hard enough. 🙄

It's getting annoying trying to explain what is obviously a lack of hours and support when there aren't any. We have one ETL in our store. So getting that "free" labor isn't there either. It's all bullshit to be honest. Revenue is up, but nothing is going back into the store. 😑

I wish we would just go straight the lawn and garden right after Christmas. We can still have some part of seasonal for build up to Super bowl and plastic for getting organized. We don't need counter after counter after counter of chemicals and hba. Just have one valley for that. I really think the seasonal floor space for my store in just way too large. Mini seasonal isn't so bad.

I wish we would just go straight the lawn and garden right after Christmas. We can still have some part of seasonal for build up to Super bowl and plastic for getting organized. We don't need counter after counter after counter of chemicals and hba. Just have one valley for that. I really think the seasonal floor space for my store in just way too large. Mini seasonal isn't so bad.

Really? We don't need 50 bottles of mouthwash back there? I wonder if anyone who makes the decisions about what to set has ever worked in a store.

Our ETL untied all items in seasonal 2 weeks before the set date and then had us keep working to home location everyday and readjust the numbers so as not to get more unless absolutely needed. Seasonal was practically empty except for the market items.

Earn? Or do you mean is it included in the set time?
Yeah sorry is it included. I tried convincing my SD today that they don’t include that in the set. This is probably the only seasonal set where is really matters since non of it goes clearance. Luckily I could swad some of it back

Sorry for that. It sounds like hell. And I know what you mean by getting blamed, except that my tl is a beast when it comes to knowing all his numbers/hours/timelines. I never have to hear from any ETL any of their bullcrap because of that. I'm eternally grateful for that firewall.

We'll start the push tomorrow. If Valentine's salvages tomorrow then that's the other tl's issue. We set all of mini except for the consumables and other back wall. Still not much pushed in it though.

My firewall is quitting. And I abhor retail politics which is one reason I never became a TL. God help if I have to deal with them directly now! 😭

So the hour and half corporate thinks to set the style flat everybody feels is a tad off? lol

They countered nicely with the almost 19 hours to set cushions/rugs! 🤣

I came here to ask the same question. So plano doesn’t earn the time to demerch?

No, there's no way any demerch time was factored in. Which is true for most big resets but when it's stuff that isn't PLU, it kills your productivity quickly if not planned right.

Did anybody read what the transition notes said about how to execute this set? I haven't but am curious to know how they think all this was supposed to happen.

You guys still have mini? Mine sold out before valentines to the point that I had to go to a different store and take 7 pallets of candies from them . We started setting Easter before Valentines and the freight went straight to floor front the truck

So jealous!!!!! Ours did not sell that well. I've got maybe 16 feet left if I condensed it down more but we'd rather just finish it in one shot now.

So jealous!!!!! Ours did not sell that well. I've got maybe 16 feet left if I condensed it down more but we'd rather just finish it in one shot now.
I guess ppl in my area go crazy for that shit . They need a day like that to tell their loved ones that they love them lol

You guys still have mini? Mine sold out before valentines to the point that I had to go to a different store and take 7 pallets of candies from them . We started setting Easter before Valentines and the freight went straight to floor front the truck

Did the store end up getting their candies back? Shit I'll be piss if another store takes all the candy then dont have enough to stock their own store

Our store is very fortunate that on the 14th we had one amplified gifting fixture of valentines and mini was 100% set.
The good ends there.
I untied rear seasonal weeks ago but somehow the DBO was still filling ! OMG to capacity !

i blame myself for not having the forethought to change capacities. After all, this is not my first rodeo - I wish I wasn’t so buried in DBO training and undone pricing to not have realized how full rear was !
I say I’ll be more cautious going forward but.....there is always something.
we have NO personal care displays up from last week.
Every week something is left undone- - the displays or the signs or something else.
There are unfinished pogs from last year That we are ‘waiting to be caught up to finish.’

Yeah sorry is it included. I tried convincing my SD today that they don’t include that in the set. This is probably the only seasonal set where is really matters since non of it goes clearance. Luckily I could swad some of it back

Unless you can provide something to the contrary, it doesn't include the demerching.

Let's be clear. You're saying the seasonal set hours include demerching the set (no matter how full), pushing to the home, backstocking, cleaning, setting, pushing new product, and backstocking?

I say it only includes cleaning, setting, pushing the new product, and backstocking.

It took my tl hours just to do cleaning supplies. That isn't even including food, hba, diapers, etc. We had 2 full pallets of diaper backstock. Almost 50 boxes. That's how our set went.

Where did your sd get that info?

How can you sweep any of it back? Mdse has to be in original cases. Did you get so much that not only your stuck with open stock you also have unopen full cases in the backroom?

Back