Archived Development

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I just started at my new store after my transfer and I'll be there two weeks now. I had a great chat with my SrTL about my development and he has all these big plans.

I've been waiting to start developing for two years and I know I can be a TL but I guess now that it's actually happening I'm a bit nervous. I had great support from my TLs from my old store. I guess what I'm getting at is I would love some advice about starting development.

development at my store is basically having you "act" like you're a TL without the actual pay or anything. You'll start getting the walkie and starting huddles. If you're a backroom/flow tm, you'll get you "own team"(the normal BR team, you're just the go to person) when in reality you're just a babysitter. ETLs/TL will start asking you to do walks or asking if anything is done. Eventually you'll find out that you're not going to git promoted, or realize that you're just he whipping boy and eventually quit.

This happened to the last 7 people in LOG who wanted to develop more.

I don't have great advice but what I can say is make sure there is actually going to be an open TL position before you start. Otherwise, you just the errand boy who people people see as a kiss up. Yeah, you'll get an O on your review but do you really care about that 25 cent raise?

Sorry if I sound rude, but I've some good co-wokers quit because if false promises, it's just a little peeve of mine

Sadly, "Development" at Target is not what it used to be. I imagine if you asked most Leaders in the target organization to give you a general overview of how to develop an individual, what you would get is a response filled with task, process, and responsibility.

I had the great pleasure of being under some excellent leaders when I started with spot over a decade ago. Leaders who developed by showing me the fundamentals of business, and showing me the impact of my hard work in a way that meant something to me. Target tends to promise a position or dangle a proverbial carrot in front of team members and then teach them process as a means of development. This is in fact a very poor way to build strong candidates, not only because they are doing work outside of their scope, which tends to leave people bitter, but also you tend to identify the wrong types of individuals for leadership when you look at it in this manner. Target will help you with process knowledge, and I encourage you to learn everything you can. But I'd also caution you that being a successful leader takes a lot more than what Target is going to teach you, and you would do well to do some research of your own.

Regardless of how your new store decides to proceed with you, hopefully some of what I have learned can help you in the future.

- Each individual is unique, with a unique story, likes, dislikes, and way of doing things. A very large part of being a successful leader is tied directly in how strong your tie is with your team, or more importantly, how far they are willing to go for you. Take the time to get to know every individual on your team. Know their names, their kids, birthday, what they like, when is their birthday? Go out of your way to stop and say hi, push an aisle with them for a few minutes. In turn, you get a strong sense of each individual, and how to motivate and recognize them.

- Above all, good leaders listen. Your ideas are more than likely not the best ideas. And in my experience, the people who do the work tend to come up with the most creative solutions on how to do it better.

- Make sure you communicate with your teams directly, and often. Explain how you feel, explain why changes are being made, and ask for their input. Then actually do something to show them you listened to it.

- There will be times when you will need to make a choice between what is best for your team, and what is best for you. You can't do all of the work by yourself, protect your team members. Make every effort to get them hours, work with their schedules within reason, and offer them solutions when they have problems. Don't sacrifice the work, but don't sacrifice your team either.

- Move poor performers quickly. Target has a 90 day probationary period for a reason. Most leaders don't use it the way it should be. If a new team member has poor attendance, or performance issues, coach and cca them out quickly. When they reach 90 days, if you have documentation, you can let them go clean. Both you, and your team, will be better in the long run when you don't let people slide.

- Learn as much as you can. Use every resource you can. Go to your backroom team and ask them to explain to you how the backroom works. Tell your price change team members you want to understand what they do so you can support them if it's ever needed.

Finally, take the type to understand the different types of power in the workplace. There are 5 in total (or 7, depending on who you ask). 3 of which are called Formal Power, things like reward and authority, which are granted with you with your position. But the real power, are the other two. Expert and Referent power. Having extensive knowledge of process and garnering a reputation for being someone who solves problems will give you expert power. Doing all of the things I listed above, will get you Referent power. Having a strong base of knowledge and having the firm respect of your peers is going to take you miles at the end of the day.

The most important thing I can offer you is to never forget where you came from, and that you can't do everything alone. When it comes time for that DTL walk or your STL status, any recognition should be firmly placed on your team members, and you should encourage your leaders to recognize them as well. At the end of the day, your success is tied directly to them.

Best of luck, and don't be nervous!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back