Archived Future TL? “Developmental TL”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inboundbeast

ETL SE
My story:

So, about a year and a half ago, i started working at target as a seasonal hardlines and i had intentions of just making some revenue while i was ending my senior year. I worked 20-30 hours a week during Q4 and anywhere from 20>... sometimes 0-5 even.... as soon as graduation came around, my ETL approached me about working flow and backroom, (at this time i had mastered hardlines, the front end, and electronics) and i was was hesitant but i said yes anyways.

Right off the bat i was unloading every single truck digging my hands into every area on the floor and the backroom and i exceled in the team and was working tons of backroom shifts on top of it as well as “running my business” (i had gone into end to end early since i was a developmental tm).. my life came to 40 hours every week with no weekends off for months! I had mastered all of the store operations.

I approached my ETL and said what does it take to be a TL.. and basically i was told she was all for it but i would have to voice it to my STL.. so my STL was all for it but still wanted me to prove my leadership skills. (keep in mind this was right before Q4...) She had me team up with a mentor of my choice that was to develop me and voiced to the entire leadership team about my upcomings. I had the opportunities to lead a team in setting christmas sets and got the opportunity to run the backroom as well.

So after Q4 i was kind of wondering why my STL hadn’t said much to me since this time and i approached her in her office and asked her what she thought about how I handled all these different things and she was amazed and said i had all the necessary skills and the next step is finding me a spot whether wait for one currently at my store or transfer..

we had a visit from a business partner in the district soon after that wanted to meet with me (my STL talked me up to the district) and just wanted to show me the ropes of a certain TL position and asked if i was interested in shadowing in another store with the intentions of transferring later... i wasn’t sure about a transfer and needed time to think (now i am all for it but at the time i didn’t know) so she thanked me for my time and said to call at any time for info or anything else on whatever else i choose.

Time goes on and we transition into end to end, and as i stated up there i was already doing it but the thing is i am pressured to watch over certain TM’s and areas because nobody knows what the hell is going on and this has become stressful basically running most of the store because the current LOD simply doesn’t know.. and this is expected of me at this time...

More time went on and we got a few DTL visits and our DTL loved my area and wanted to know who was responsible for it so my STL talked me up to him and now he thinks highly of me and knows of my interests.. a few more weeks go by and we get a GVP visit..... I came in and ran my area and i had exposure with him and he said awesome you’re doing all the right things here!

Present day i am very stressed and am a developmental TM who is a go to for many and can do whatever is necessary for the store to run tip top, and i love it very much but i feel kind of used in a sense... i’ve read a lot of forums about “carrot dangling” and i feel like that applies to me.. I just wonder if i should keep waiting for something to happen or if i should move on with my life..? It’s been almost 6 months since my STL gave me opportunities.....Currently on vacation and getting called and texted everyday about something to do with the store whether its asking me to come in or metrics. It’s a huge part of my life now and i need advice..
i would be willing to transfer but not right at this time due to college but maybe by the end of this year...

thanks for reading my story that’s all over the place😂

Last edited:
Sorry haha i added paragraph breaks.. and it’s not that i’m working off the clock i am just extremely close with many TL’s and TM’s i work with and we’ve established many friendships. I was just adding to the fact of how involved i am as well as being the go to for help or info

You are headed for the tl bench. Stay off your phone, you as not getting paid for that.
Thanks. i’ve been told i was going to do prep interviews at some point but idk i’m just trying to patiently wait but it gets annoying

Sounds exactly like my situation. No phone calls here but I’ve done many projects through the store. Huge resets, over night reset, carried my BR team through q4 and inv prep. Givin 37-40 hours every week but the 2 weeks out schedule shows I only have 20. They really need to chill on the carrot dangling because getting people this are up over their job isn’t very healthy. Trying to motivate an already highly ambitious person only creates mental issues lol

At my store all of the TLs failed their job to keep tms even after Q1 especially Inbound tms so currently at my store we're trying to hire all across the store departments. Front End, A&A, Inbound, Sales Floor Hardlines, Salesfloor Electronics, Salesfloor Beauty and TPS but we now have one fully trained.

Sounds exactly like my situation. No phone calls here but I’ve done many projects through the store. Huge resets, over night reset, carried my BR team through q4 and inv prep. Givin 37-40 hours every week but the 2 weeks out schedule shows I only have 20. They really need to chill on the carrot dangling because getting people this are up over their job isn’t very healthy. Trying to motivate an already highly ambitious person only creates mental issues lol
Spot is well known to do the carrot dangling. Ck your headcount at your store, for sure. Some vets tl are quitting or being performanced out.

Every TL on the log etl’s Side of the store needs to go. 7 flats of un stoed merch were pulled out of market, 4 out of chem and 3 or 4 out of toys when prepping for inv. 👀

I'm gonna call bs on the OP- No STL, ETL is gonna call up a tm to ask them to come in or let them know what BRLA is while they are on vacation. If they did, I call the hotline because it's not healthy to be involved in work when your supposed to be on vacation otherwise what's the point. As a TL, I get occasional texts from TMS or TLs asking me questions but that's it.

Thank you everyone for your input... i’ve been told that 2019 should bring me great things and i’ve heard april over and over from my leadership so i’m keeping my fingers crossed that something good comes out of next month.. I will update this forum if anything good happens as well. Thinking of reaching out to the district and saying to hell with my store also if things don’t change in the next couple months..

Thanks

My advice would be to just transfer to another store and do there what you did at your previous store. Tell your etl you want to go to the store within your district that needs the most help. That would open some eyes. They probably wouldn’t transfer you if you’re a big piece of their plan, but it would show you’re willing to do whatever the hell it takes to make big moves.

Thanks I agree and although i can’t transfer tomorrow i feel like i need to let them know now that i am willing so when i am ready i’m not waiting for months on end.

I mean, April 1st a lot of TL positions will move around, and most stores will be gaining an extra GSTL or two so they might want you for that since it's a good starter TL position, or maybe just a different area of the store, but they probably didn't want to do anything big before this huge operations change. I'd definitely wait until the whole move before thinking about what you'd like to do next.

I mean, April 1st a lot of TL positions will move around, and most stores will be gaining an extra GSTL or two so they might want you for that since it's a good starter TL position, or maybe just a different area of the store, but they probably didn't want to do anything big before this huge operations change. I'd definitely wait until the whole move before thinking about what you'd like to do next.
Thank you so much! Gives me more hope

And see that’s what i’ve been told that the E2E would give the leadership team a restructure but i’m at a low volume store and from the looks of things most of our current leaders are being moved around and it seems like maybe one new position is possible but i’m not sure. I will have to see and i will update the forum.

Carrot dangling is Targets favorite way to “inspire the future generations”. From what I experienced in my time at Target promotions come by necessity. You don’t earn a promotion, you simply are the best filler for a role that needs to get filled. Most stores don’t put much effort into developing or reassuring potential team leaders.

So today, i was called and told by my store director to apply for the new service and engagement lead opening at my store and that it will be a good start and that they want me on the leadership team as soon as possible. Mixed feelings but i am going to go for it! Any advice thus far?

So today, i was called and told by my store director to apply for the new service and engagement lead opening at my store and that it will be a good start and that they want me on the leadership team as soon as possible. Mixed feelings but i am going to go for it! Any advice thus far?

Front End is allll about the guest. Make sure you are comfortable giving feedback to Advocates about their interactions with guests. Supposedly the SELs will have nothing to do with pushing freight or setting endcaps, so it’s strictly focused on developing the team to provide that elevated guest experience that will set Target apart from other retailers. Know your NPS, observe your team and see that they know Cartwheel offers, Weekly Ad offers, can speak to Wallet/Redcard and their benefits. Make sure they know how to deliver a frictionless guest experience at the checklanes, SCO, and Guest Service. Target ain’t gonna pay someone $15 an hour just to scan and bag.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back