Archived Different Areas to Train in?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, this is my last post before I go to bed so I need to get it out before I forget.

In order to maximize effectiveness and etc etc... I think most cashiers should be trained in other areas. When it's dead (I mean like for the past 3 weeks dead/tumblewheat dead/ghost town dead) I think a cashier should be able to turn of their light, pick a pda, and start helping other areas. Or am I just too new to understand the process? If I am right, what are the easiest areas to train in?

Okay, this is my last post before I go to bed so I need to get it out before I forget.

In order to maximize effectiveness and etc etc... I think most cashiers should be trained in other areas. When it's dead (I mean like for the past 3 weeks dead/tumblewheat dead/ghost town dead) I think a cashier should be able to turn of their light, pick a pda, and start helping other areas. Or am I just too new to understand the process? If I am right, what are the easiest areas to train in?

If your store is super dead. Then yes. If not. No. Most times we need one or two cashiers to keep 1+1 in check.

When I was still up front & it was dead I'd make sure the strays were picked up (cashier could run them to GS & learn to sort), lanes were stocked with bags/wrap paper/receipt tape/coupon paper/etc (cashier kept a lane light on wherever they were working), send cashier around with a cartload of handbaskets to fill the basket holders around the store.
Softlines was next to the front so I sent cashiers to help with their zone & strays. If they helped enough times & learned their way around the various depts., they eventually could pick up shifts on the floor.

At my store, if it's quiet at the front end, the GSTL/GSA will make sure the front end is looking brand before sending anyone out to the floor. Unless the LOD intervenes, which has worked in my favor more than once on Saturdays nights for ad takedown.

Since I'm a GSA at a ULV store I have a bit of knowledge on this subject. When we get dead (usually the last hour and a half before close) and we have a cashier to spare we do a few things with them:

- Fill bags, receipt tape and other miscellaneous items at the registers.
- Zone/Pick up the checklanes and trading card wall.
- Zone/Pick up/Reshop The One Spot.
- Zone the closest area to the registers (most stores in my area this is Girls)
- Work hardlines reshop in a nearby section.

The list above is generally the priority in which these tasks are given out and the order in which I make the cashier do things unless the LOD has a different plan in mind for them.

Our cashiers will frequently zone girls (which is immediately across from the lanes) or go push hardlines reshop. Only when it's slow though.

Last edited:
Store was the most dead I've ever seen/half the flow team called out due to weather issues so the front end was pushing merchandise as well as learning the instocks process after that.

Sometimes (very rarely) the cashiers at my store will help pick up in RTW which is right across from the lanes. Some of the cashiers are taught how to reshop, and when backup is needed, the cashiers doing reshop are first to go up. And for us on hardlines closing shifts, anybody helping do reshop is a gift.

I zone and fix everything up until there is nothing left to fix. I even walk to the hanger bin with one hanger. I walk around every register and take everything out and fix stuff up. I get so bored after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back