Archived Do you accept tips?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes it could be. A manager can't ask you to do something that goes against policy. If you didn't report him/him you could be fired to. If it doesn't feel right it's always best to ask HR.
Lol you really think hes gonna tell HR that someone let him keep a tip?

Sure, it might be against policy but no one is going to turn down free money someone slipped them in a parking lot block by cars so no one could see

Lol you really think hes gonna tell HR that someone let him keep a tip?

Sure, it might be against policy but no one is going to turn down free money someone slipped them in a parking lot block by cars so no one could see

Bullshit. My first job ever was collecting shopping carts and bagging groceries. Old people would try to tip me all the time, and I always had to deny the tips. People would get fired for taking money. It was against their policy, much like how it's against Target's. I don't know what your argument here is. The facts are this. If you take tips, you're at risk for losing your job. Plain and simple. If you think it's worth the risk, then by all means, take all the tips you want. But I don't be surprised if you get fired.

Mmm, right. Yeah no one cares. The policy just poofed into existence on it's own.
No, I mean no one cares about enforcemening it to that degree. Most people just take the tip and hot say anything and nothing happens. If you're fired, it'll be more because you're a shit worker thaj anything by else

My HR said that accepting tips is against policy and its on you if you wanna take the risk....but nobody's asking questions when you pull out a wad of ones.

No, I mean no one cares about enforcemening it to that degree. Most people just take the tip and hot say anything and nothing happens. If you're fired, it'll be more because you're a shit worker thaj anything by else

Maybe! Like I said, there IS a policy there, so if you choose to take tips, you are taking a risk. Target wouldn't be in the wrong if they needed to get rid of you.

If this is where we draw the line as far as abiding by corporate policy, that's comical. There's more unethical things going on by nearly everyone.

This is one of those occurrences that leadership doesn't want to address until they need a reason to term you.

Target has a policy against accepting tips, period.

However, TMs will continue to accept and even solicit tips regardless. They do this because they are idiots. Threads like this give these idiots a space to try and justify their idiocy.

Many times, these justifications amuse me.

Please, continue.

Be mindful that pretty much everything is being video recorded at Target.

Personally I've never seen a TM get termed for accepting tips. Most people I know would look the other way. But it's still against policy and if they want you gone it will happen.

I've never understood the beef against tips. If a customer(yes they are customers, not fucking guests because no one invited them and this isn't Beauty and the Beast), wants to reward you for doing a good job for giving them good service then why the fuck not?

Tips should be allowed everywhere and they should never be taxed either. Case closed.

A tip is a gift. If someone gives you something as a reward, you shouldn't be at fault.

I've never understood the beef against tips. If a customer(yes they are customers, not fucking guests because no one invited them and this isn't Beauty and the Beast), wants to reward you for doing a good job for giving them good service then why the fuck not?

Tips should be allowed everywhere and they should never be taxed either. Case closed.

A tip is a gift. If someone gives you something as a reward, you shouldn't be at fault.

The main reason there's a policy against it is because they don't want guests to feel obligated to give tips. Otherwise they open the window for employees to even ask for tips. Basically, it's just their way of controlling the process. Personally, I don't feel strongly against it either. Sometimes people get offended if you don't take their tip. But I get why the policy is there.

One day I decided to be a wise-guy and say to my GSTL "Wow that guest gave me a great tip!" and my GSTL said "You cannot accept tips!" and I said to her "wait so I have to ignore a guest who says "lift with your knees"? or even if they have a great idea to make the process better I have to ignore them?" :D My GSTL let out an annoyed exhale and "yelled" Get out of here!!!! " LOL

Last edited:
One of the CAs found a pair of very expensive sunglasses in a cart and turned it into guest service, the guest called asking for them and asked for the name of the TM who found them well when the guest came in they handed the GStm a sealed envelop with the CA's name on it. He ended up getting a very nice thank you tip.

I have twice, the first time. It was my first week, and I had no clue we weren't supposed to, until I mentioned it to my TL

The second time, the guest was literally getting angry and forced the issue, even though I told him repeatably I could not take it.

Every other time I say "thanks, but I can't, if you want you can fill out a survey and mention me, that could possibly help increase my paycheck"

I go to a grocery store where the baggers can't accept tips. I've bought them a candy bar or something before to show my appreciation. I think it's stupid at Target. We don't normally do carryouts, so I think if someone wants to tip for that, it's their choice.

I go to a grocery store where the baggers can't accept tips. I've bought them a candy bar or something before to show my appreciation. I think it's stupid at Target. We don't normally do carryouts, so I think if someone wants to tip for that, it's their choice.
my whole thought on it is if a guest tips you and you choose to accept it that is your choice. If you want to just tell a very insistent guest they can fill out a Guest comment card that is also your choice.

Target has a policy against accepting tips, period.

However, TMs will continue to accept and even solicit tips regardless. They do this because they are idiots. Threads like this give these idiots a space to try and justify their idiocy.

Many times, these justifications amuse me.

Please, continue.
Honestly, people who don't accept free money are the real idiots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back