Archived Do you accept tips?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's funny how tips are not even an issue in some places at all, like where I live, because everyone is broke. When I did carts I never once was offered a tip. But when I did carts a little further up north in a city 2 or 3 times bigger than my hometown, it happened a lot.

I found a brand spankin new iPhone 3 lol. I was so broke trying to do the college thing on my own, that I seriously thought about keeping it. Though I had never stolen before, so it was really taking me a long time to try to convince myself to keep it. But as I was bringing in a row of carts a worried couple approached me asking if I had found a phone. I gave them the phone, and they demanded to speak to my manager. I was so damn scared. I tried to convince them not to talk to the manager, but they went in and found one. About 5 minutes later they were leaving the store and I ran into them again. They wanted to thank me and shake my hand. When the woman shook my hand she slipped me a 20 very discreetly. I felt it so I held on to her hand, and awkwardly said, "Noooo I can't take this." She said something like, "I know, but just do it. Thank you." It was such a bittersweet tip :/

Jill I don't understand why this issue always ruffles your feathers. Did you used to work at a restaurant and always get shorted on tips?

Jill I don't understand why this issue always ruffles your feathers. Did you used to work at a restaurant and always get shorted on tips?
Yes and no. I've worked at jobs where I was paid $2.13/hr because tips were supposed to make up for the rest of my pay. I made decent money, but relying on tipping culture for your livelihood really sucks. "seeping" of tipping culture into jobs where the workers are not paid tipped wages (starbucks workers, cart attendants) hurts workers who are tipped by definition. Customers don't realize that target cart attendants are paid more than twice what waiters earn.

My answer is Yes. I work inside the store so it hardly ever happens but I've never seen/heard it mentioned since I was hired in the mid 00's.

Ugh, I am so glad I don't work with you.
Because I realize I'm a easily replaceable peon? I see no need to make my job seem more important than it is nor that my pay is more than it is.

The reality is, that if I leave target, the fast food places has similar payrates. Hell, walmart pays more. Nothing I can do about that

Because I realize I'm a easily replaceable peon? I see no need to make my job em more important than it is nor that my pay is more than it is.

The reality is, that if I leave target, the fast food places has similar payrates. Hell, walmart pays more. Nothing I can do about that

Lmfao! You're not enlightened to some big secret. I just think you have a shitty attitude, and you must be a pain in the ass to have to be around. This is your logic: "Omg, this job is so unimportant! Even Walmart pays better! Eh, but I'm going to keep working here anyway."

Good luck escaping retail. You'll need it.

And yet no one at the store level is irreplaceable.

Dude, even the president is replacable. That doesn't mean anything. But the impression left behind is what people notice. You're replacable in a way that probably makes people happy.

Why can't we just do a good job because that's what we get paid for and be a good person because that's what we strive to be?
I'd personally feel like I was stealing from a "guest" (they really are invited. We invited them) if I took something for doing my job.
But getting a "reward" on Christmas Eve for saving someone's tablet and phone is a different story.

The main reason there's a policy against it is because they don't want guests to feel obligated to give tips. Otherwise they open the window for employees to even ask for tips. Basically, it's just their way of controlling the process. Personally, I don't feel strongly against it either. Sometimes people get offended if you don't take their tip. But I get why the policy is there.

It's not about obligation. It's more a matter of fear of bribes.

ie. Guest leaves me a tip in exchange for doing something shady like authorizing large discounts for them.

It's not about obligation. It's more a matter of fear of bribes.

ie. Guest leaves me a tip in exchange for doing something shady like authorizing large discounts for them.

I'm sure that's definitely a part of it. It's a matter of eliminating grey areas.

Yes and no. I've worked at jobs where I was paid $2.13/hr because tips were supposed to make up for the rest of my pay. I made decent money, but relying on tipping culture for your livelihood really sucks. "seeping" of tipping culture into jobs where the workers are not paid tipped wages (starbucks workers, cart attendants) hurts workers who are tipped by definition. Customers don't realize that target cart attendants are paid more than twice what waiters earn.

This seems silly to me. Even a cart attendant that accepted every tip offered to them would make far less money than an average waiter. They may get higher hourly wages, but it's not unheard of for waiters and waitresses to make upwards of $20 a hour from tips. I've known bartenders that made more like $70 a hour.

A tip is "stealing from a guest"? ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Waiters and waitresses must love that one.

Being a good person doesn't get you shit in America. It's all about greed and being number one at any costs. If someone gives you a tip, it's yours. Case closed. No one forced that person to give you money. They did it because they thought you did a good job and should be rewarded for good service. There's nothing wrong or unethical about it. If you feel bad or guilty about it, that means Target has won.

A tip is "stealing from a guest"? ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Waiters and waitresses must love that one.

Being a good person doesn't get you shit in America. It's all about greed and being number one at any costs. If someone gives you a tip, it's yours. Case closed. No one forced that person to give you money. They did it because they thought you did a good job and should be rewarded for good service. There's nothing wrong or unethical about it. If you feel bad or guilty about it, that means Target has won.

Yes yes, that's all very inspiring and shit. But your moral opinion doesn't change policy. Take all the tips you want! Just be aware of the risk. I don't know what there's even an argument left for.

Being a good person doesn't get you shit in America. It's all about greed and being number one at any costs.
I understand what you're saying, but I'm still a good person. Being a good person isn't about what you get in return. It's more about being able to live with yourself. I like knowing I'm a source of joy in peoples' lives and not misery.

I never once asked for a tip or tried using guilt on a Guest to get a tip. If I helped them get their stuff to their car and they tried giving me a tip I always made it clear with them that they are not expected to tip us and management does not want us accepting tips. In 10yrs I got tipped 3 times and the guests just would not take "no thank you" for an answer.

Retail girl, I'm going to put you on my postcard list. You're gonna love the one I send to you. I am going to send postcards to anyone that had ever doubted,trashed, hated, or bashed me. The list is long but haters and doubters need to be put in this place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back