Archived Do You Feel Bad For The Now Ex-Seasonals?

Status
Not open for further replies.
But what if you were meant to do something better in life and fulfill your full potential? Are you really doing that at Target?

But what if you were meant to do something better in life and fulfill your full potential? Are you really doing that at Target?
No. But that describes 90% of jobs out there. Not all of us can be artists or writers who can actually support themselves. Even astronauts on board the ISS aren't fulfilling their potential as they will never step foot on the heart of Pluto.

A job is what you do to get the money to eat, live, and if you are lucky to have a little cash so you can strive to reach your potential in your personal hobbies. I might never get the PhD I need to walk in an active volcano as part of my job, but I can save up wages from my job to explore volcanos during vacations. I'll never be one of those people who are on a waiting list to colonize Mars, but I can buy a telescope and join a local astronomy club and take some astronomy and physics classes at the local college and my job will pay for that telescope and those classes.

My last job, it was not a retail job and I went home every day feeling like I sold my soul to the devil. It was a nice respectable real estate job, and I was office support and not sales. At least now I have the satisfaction of knowing that when I lie and say that some guys have come back and talked about how much they enjoyed that Goodfellow jacket to someone browsing in the men's section, it's a lie about a $30 item they can return for a full refund if they don't like it. It's not typing up the legal documents that will sign someone up for a high interest loan for thousands of dollars, knowing full well that the salesman lied about everything just to get them to agree to purchase the property and to accept the loan to finance it, and knowing there's a clause hidden deep within the 50 pages of legal documentation that says any verbal promises are not binding and not part of the legal agreement.

If it brings you a sense of satisfaction, meaning, and purpose then I guess it's okay. I just think about the dollar signs when it comes to jobs and careers. If you can survive the cutthroat environment of retail and be okay with the shitty wages then you're a pretty thick skinned person with grit. I just wasn't tough enough to handle it any longer so I had to quit.

Go give tree surgery a shot.

It's easy...

I think that is the intention when people apply but, you always hear the rumors of, "If you impress the ETL's, they'll hire you long term", and I think that gets people's hopes up. Then they end up liking the job, work hard and hope for the best. Then, of course, cut.

To be fair, our store tends to keep a handful of seasonals every season who do work hard and do a good job. Problem is we scored very few who fit that description during Q4. ><

Exceptional ones? Yeah no.. HR kept people that three different TL's wanted termed.. I want to know who this idiot is connected to cause he should have been gone in the first week. But nope hired permanent. So please don't try and hand me that exceptional employee bullshit..
I am beginning to think your store is cursed. Perhaps you would like to work in the Richmond tx store as I am been hearing rumors that CEO is visiting it covertly again.

Now my store has most of the remaining seasonals finishing up this week. Good thing to free up their hours as we had severals new (regular) TMs that had orientation last week. o_O
Ours were gone last week.
To the seasonals! Dilly Dilly!

I am beginning to think your store is cursed. Perhaps you would like to work in the Richmond tx store as I am been hearing rumors that CEO is visiting it covertly again.

No I don't think cursed is correct, just a perfect storm of what target has done to itself coming to bite it in the ass.

And Texas? Pass..

There's a couple I feel bad for. Generally pretty good workers that wanted to stay on, but we just didnt have the payroll to support. Most of them I'm happy are gone though.

This year, no. Most added no value to the process.

I dont necessarily feel bad for them but I feel bad for the timing. Our store had just started end to end so they joined during a complete shit show. Granted most like everyone else were terrible but a couple had real promise.

I DID feel bad for some of them who I thought were good workers and nice people. Until they all stopped showing up for their remaining shifts this week and last... guess we dodged the bullet on those.
Can’t say I mind though as I’ve been able to more than double my assigned hours by coming in early or staying late to cover for NCNS! One day I even just showed up (wasn’t scheduled) and asked if there were any call-outs. Sure enough they practically begged me to cover for as long as I could stay. Soo thanks seasonals!

I discovered that I was seasonal just after Christmas because I wasn’t in the next schedule. I was never told I was seasonal when I was hired, nothing in the paperwork I filled out said seasonal and the Online application didn’t say seasonal. The seasonal application was closed.
Anyways. Is there exit paperwork I have to do? Or I just don’t set on the schedule anymore? On my last work day (I took someone’s shift). The ETL in the cuddle said that they are having a meeting the next day with the TL on what is happening with the seasonals and the TL is going to talk with us after that. I tried asking her what was going on because I wasn’t scheduled. She just repeated that they was having the meeting with the TLs.
So now what?

I discovered that I was seasonal just after Christmas because I wasn’t in the next schedule. I was never told I was seasonal when I was hired, nothing in the paperwork I filled out said seasonal and the Online application didn’t say seasonal. The seasonal application was closed.
Anyways. Is there exit paperwork I have to do? Or I just don’t set on the schedule anymore? On my last work day (I took someone’s shift). The ETL in the cuddle said that they are having a meeting the next day with the TL on what is happening with the seasonals and the TL is going to talk with us after that. I tried asking her what was going on because I wasn’t scheduled. She just repeated that they was having the meeting with the TLs.
So now what?

Don't assume. If it was your ETL that was vague, talk to HR. There was one week that I was not on the schedule, it didn't even show my name. I was still employed, they said they just didn't have the hours (though I suspect otherwise) and I was told to pick up shifts on the swap shift board.

I haven’t been scheduled since 12/26. My weekday availablity was 5:30p to close. (Any time during the weekend). I had the worst schedule. 1st week 11/20. Worked 2 Days. Week 2. Not scheduled. Week 3 not scheduled Days. Week 4 worked 3 Days. Week 5 not scheduled. Week 6 1 day. Hasn’t been scheduled since. I’ll just go in Monday on my lunch hour and talk to them.

I haven’t been scheduled since 12/26. My weekday availablity was 5:30p to close. (Any time during the weekend). I had the worst schedule. 1st week 11/20. Worked 2 Days. Week 2. Not scheduled. Week 3 not scheduled Days. Week 4 worked 3 Days. Week 5 not scheduled. Week 6 1 day. Hasn’t been scheduled since. I’ll just go in Monday on my lunch hour and talk to them.

That might be the reason, your availability.

Eh, that's pretty much the same as my availability, and I have been scheduled to max hours just fine. Granted, my max hours were 20 during the holiday season and now I don't want to go much over 15, so it's not like I was looking for full time hours, but we have a ton of HL people with 5 or 6pm availability + all day weekends and have no problems getting hours.

That's my availability too and I get more hours than I want.

What was your work center?

Your availability is not very good. You can't help that you probably have school or another job but that's probably why you got few days. It's not fair to give a bunch of days to people who don't have good availability. When some people are available 24/7.

That's my availability too and I get more hours than I want.

Eh, that's pretty much the same as my availability,

If I remember correctly one of you is not seasonal and some stores will schedule into your availability based on staffing and how productive you are (although they aren't supposed to)

My store is slightly overstaffed so people with poor availability only get 1 or 2 shifts a week.

Last edited:
So now what?

What a dysfunctional crappy store. They were supposed to have you sign seasonal paperwork although they may have not hired you as seasonal and are just letting you go under your 90 days.

As far as not scheduling you they should have had a conversation with you. I would call the Hotline on your store although that probably wouldn't get your job back.

The fact you haven't been scheduled in so long is definitely concerning we have written 3 or 4 schedules since then. Are you sure you haven't been terminated? If you look at the paper schedule, at the way back is your name on the last page?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back