Archived Do You Feel Bad For The Now Ex-Seasonals?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Havok

Finally A Guest Again
I liked 2 out of like, the 30 or so we had for logistics and truck. The rest really REALLY blew. The 2 I liked wanted to stay and I thought they were decent workers. I liked them because they tried while the others just went on their phones and played with their snapchats and twitters. Most of them were cunts and I laughed when I heard some of them went to our STL and asked for them to be kept. Some were fired earlier this week. The rest are scheduled until next week and then are poof. I look forward to getting the hours that they will be giving up, although there won't be all that much hours since it's 4th quarter. I'm guessing it will be better than a 10 hour week. I took a couple of shifts so, I was able to turn 10 into 25. Thank god for lazy coworkers. I do feel bad for the 2 that wanted to stay and tried hard to keep the job. They were told to reapply during the next seasonal but, the 2 have already told me that they will be hunting for jobs ASAP and if hired elsewhere, will not be reapplying for the next seasonal. Best of luck to them!

No. They applied as seasonal. I’ll never understand why anyone who applies as seasonal is trying to get a long term job, there’s tons of places hiring people for regular jobs, why apply at a place who only needs seasonal... however, with that being said, I did make a few good friends, and I will miss them.

No. They applied as seasonal. I’ll never understand why anyone who applies as seasonal is trying to get a long term job, there’s tons of places hiring people for regular jobs, why apply at a place who only needs seasonal... however, with that being said, I did make a few good friends, and I will miss them.
I think that is the intention when people apply but, you always hear the rumors of, "If you impress the ETL's, they'll hire you long term", and I think that gets people's hopes up. Then they end up liking the job, work hard and hope for the best. Then, of course, cut.

Nope. Most of them weren't that great and the ones that were were asked to stay on.

Because people (myself included) couldn't get an interview at Target until they started hiring for seasonal workers. I never got a single callback until I applied for a seasonal position and I was kept since because they liked me and was reliable.

During my interview the ETL specifically told me that they were interested in keeping on some of the seasonals. During the holidays I made it known I'd like to stay on, and here I am (no longer seasonal).

I’m not bashing people who stay on as seasonals at all, they’re some of our best team members. I just think it’s silly to feel bad for them as it was a ‘seasonal’ position. And to all the ETL’s who promise to keep a lot of seasonals during the interview and then end up not keeping you, fuck off.

And the store always drops that carrot "Oh we always keep a few of the really stand out seasonal people" so they are right to expect to be kept when you are told that for the entire season.

And the store always drops that carrot "Oh we always keep a few of the really stand out seasonal people" so they are right to expect to be kept when you are told that for the entire season.
So the stores do keep some seasonals. The exceptional ones. We have an ETL who joined spot as seasonal. Not everyone is cut out for target or retail for that matter. Most seasonals don't put in the work because they know and want the gig to be temporary.

So the stores do keep some seasonals. The exceptional ones. We have an ETL who joined spot as seasonal. Not everyone is cut out for target or retail for that matter. Most seasonals don't put in the work because they know and want the gig to be temporary.

Exceptional ones? Yeah no.. HR kept people that three different TL's wanted termed.. I want to know who this idiot is connected to cause he should have been gone in the first week. But nope hired permanent. So please don't try and hand me that exceptional employee bullshit..

Kind of an unfair comment. One of my ETLs started as a seasonal, as well as all 3 of our seniors.

Some people applied as regular and had to settle for seasonal because we weren't hiring regular team members at the time.

For me the only ones I don't feel bad for are the ones who were lazy, called out a bunch, refused to come in when called -- then they wanted to act surprised we didn't keep them.

A lot of the permanent people at my store were hired seasonally. I think that is how Spot likes to get employees in, at least at my store. For the most part the seasonal TMs I liked are all staying. Interestingly they didn't keep any of our seasonal cafe TMs so we're down to only three people that can work the area. (Not that they should have kept them...we got our first yellow over there in over a year since I was helping out another work center more often than not and unable to check on things there). Right off the bat once a lot of them were hired they were hopeful about staying on so I also think they mentioned it in interviews.

That would make sense, actually. Seasonal offers a built-in trial period with (I assume) even less paperwork if you want to let someone go than the normal 90 day probation. Plus, you see how they act under the highest-stress part of the year.

Not really, the ones I liked usually never stayed anyways because for them they already had excellent work ethics so they were due soon enough to jump ship the moment a better job came up.

The best 1 or 2 seasonals in SL are always kept at my store, but this year it was different from the last two 4th quarters because we didn't have a single bad seasonal and I know at least 2 more that wanted to stay in addition to the two that were picked. All I can say is I'm really glad that I wasn't hired during this time of year because it's very stressful and seems competitive.

I’m not bashing people who stay on as seasonals at all, they’re some of our best team members. I just think it’s silly to feel bad for them as it was a ‘seasonal’ position. And to all the ETL’s who promise to keep a lot of seasonals during the interview and then end up not keeping you, fuck off.

I know someone who is a manager at a non Target retail store. He told me he tries to hire people as seasonal instead of permanent because it's tons easier to get rid of someone who isn't working out. However his intent for most of his seasonal hires is to keep them on permanently, he just wants a trial period that is weighted more favorably to the employer. I would guess that is why in general people apply for seasonal work when they actually want a permanent position.

Exceptional ones? Yeah no.. HR kept people that three different TL's wanted termed.. I want to know who this idiot is connected to cause he should have been gone in the first week. But nope hired permanent. So please don't try and hand me that exceptional employee bullshit..
Exceptional employee BS? Dont you take pride in your work? Dont you strive to be exceptional in what you do?
I have seen terrible tms ,that have been at spot for years and probably will be there for many more , but they are stuck doing the same shi* every day. With no prospect of moving up or making more money, they complain about everyone and everything thing. People just nod their heads at them to make the conversation short.
So yeah their are a few who slip through the cracks but for them its a sorry existence. A pity.

No, I don't become friends with them for this exact reason.

A cringey kind of bad for some of them, like the cashier who called out a bunch due to illness and kept asking me if that would "count against" them, despite me repeatedly explaining that I have no idea and am not part of that process. (But like, yeah, dropping the f-bomb in front of guests doesn't help, and casually dropping the n-word into conversation with me after telling me what a pleasure it was to work with me... that might do it.)

A different sort of bad for the people who were good workers but called out a few too many times. After one of them got their letter, they called in an hour before their shift the next day to say they weren't coming back. I thought they were good people. I'm not surprised when the teenagers stop showing but some people seemed like such good workers. Ah well.

Most of them treat their job as a social gathering. For them I have no sympathy. For the ones that showed up every shift on time and worked hard, I do feel bad. Some stores just can’t keep good TMs because they’d be over on staffing.

Most of them treat their job as a social gathering. For them I have no sympathy. For the ones that showed up every shift on time and worked hard, I do feel bad. Some stores just can’t keep good TMs because they’d be over on staffing.

Now my store has most of the remaining seasonals finishing up this week. Good thing to free up their hours as we had severals new (regular) TMs that had orientation last week. o_O

Then, on the other hand, I was told specifically in my interview that "we aren't looking for any permanent FFTMs right now so you'll be seasonal for sure", then I was kept. Go figure!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back