Does this make sense????

So….cutting hours significantly across our building. But then they announce the option to flex back up if you sign up in my time. Why cut hours then? Just schedule us to begin with, rather than taking the hours away and then making us sign back up for them. Makes absolutely no sense at all. I seriously hope no one signs up, and they end up with half the people they need for their plans. Dumbasses.

But then they announce the option to flex back up if you sign up in my time.

Explain this please.

Does it mean cut a shift and basically repost it to see if someone takes it?

But then they announce the option to flex back up if you sign up in my time.

Explain this please.

Does it mean cut a shift and basically repost it to see if someone takes it?

Signing up for “flex up” in MyTime is signing up for a shift that they may or may not approve the day before. It’s usually for voluntary OT.
So they’re taking away a shift and saying “well, we might need more people that day, so you can sign up to be ‘on call’”

Signing up for “flex up” in MyTime is signing up for a shift that they may or may not approve the day before. It’s usually for voluntary OT.
So they’re taking away a shift and saying “well, we might need more people that day, so you can sign up to be ‘on call’”
Sounds like a pretty 🐓💩 plan even for Spot.

So….cutting hours significantly across our building. But then they announce the option to flex back up if you sign up in my time. Why cut hours then? Just schedule us to begin with, rather than taking the hours away and then making us sign back up for them. Makes absolutely no sense at all. I seriously hope no one signs up, and they end up with half the people they need for their plans. Dumbasses.
They are flexing down because the forecast is showing they are in excess of a large number of hours. If the drops/arrivals come in above forecasts they may need additional support. In order to process the excess that wasn’t planned for, you can sign up for flex up (for your original shift) and possibly work a full weeks hours that week. They are hedging their bets that people will be more willing to sign up for hours as opposed to going home.

To be fair, what other options do they have?
Staff for slow periods and have scheduled 60s for 6mos/yr?
Not schedule down and have to force people home 4hrs into shift?
Make scheduled down decisions the day prior, so nobody can plan?
There is no ideal scenario, as it’s not really feasible to level plans throughout the year, so the way it’s done is probably the best option available.
I suppose they could bring back the part-time option, so those TMs would take the brunt of hour cuts, but I don’t see that happening.

To be fair, what other options do they have?
Staff for slow periods and have scheduled 60s for 6mos/yr?
Not schedule down and have to force people home 4hrs into shift?
Make scheduled down decisions the day prior, so nobody can plan?
There is no ideal scenario, as it’s not really feasible to level plans throughout the year, so the way it’s done is probably the best option available.
I suppose they could bring back the part-time option, so those TMs would take the brunt of hour cuts, but I don’t see that happening.

I get what you're saying BUT, in my whole time at target if there's one hiring constant IMO it's that they're ALWAYS overhiring, anywhere from a lot to an extra lot.

They are only thinking of themselves, and they would rather eliminate a 1 in 1000 chance of being a little shortstaffed on one day, and dont care that they may screw 1000 employees over the other 364 days as this doesnt affect them. It's frankly a little annoying how conservative they are in constant overstaffing.

i'm frankly shocked how long it's been at my building since we've had new hires. it's been since fall season, over 6 months?. i did not expect them to hold out this long.

When hours are literally being cut and new hires being onboarded at the same time, which I have seen before, thats CRAZY and should not happen IMO. It's not like they cant hold off the new hires until they are more needed.

Wish my DC would do this because driving to work just to get NWA and put to work sweeping for 4 hours is dumb as fuck.

In all fairness, the DCs could not have predicted the hit Target is taking from the pride situation.

Please remember you are able to file unemployment on days you are given a mandatory down due to lost wages. Mandatory down is actually better than heavy VLE because of that.

it was the same before pride and i havent seen much change if any in our plans since the pride thing.

this week our plans actually went way up, biggest in months.

i do feel as a southern dc that mostly serves red states with booming economies though, we suffer less/rebound faster etc. i am expecting us to turn the corner into hiring again anytime now tbh.

it was the same before pride and i havent seen much change if any in our plans since the pride thing.

this week our plans actually went way up, biggest in months.

i do feel as a southern dc that mostly serves red states with booming economies though, we suffer less/rebound faster etc. i am expecting us to turn the corner into hiring again anytime now tbh.
Rows of pride merch on recall at my dc…also we are hiring full time

In all fairness, the DCs could not have predicted the hit Target is taking from the pride situation.

Please remember you are able to file unemployment on days you are given a mandatory down due to lost wages. Mandatory down is actually better than heavy VLE because of that.
One. Majority states you have to lose at least 50% of expected wages due to reduced hours in order to file unemployment

Two. Pride has literally nothing to do with the situation which has been going on since January. That's just an ignorant statement.

One. Majority states you have to lose at least 50% of expected wages due to reduced hours in order to file unemployment

Two. Pride has literally nothing to do with the situation which has been going on since January. That's just an ignorant statement.
Sure, budget cuts all over have nothing to do with our stock and sales being down.
DCs always VLE like crazy during the spring. This is the time of year its supposed to pick up again.
But our massive sales losses habe zero to do with that.

Sure, budget cuts all over have nothing to do with our stock and sales being down.
DCs always VLE like crazy during the spring. This is the time of year its supposed to pick up again.
But our massive sales losses habe zero to do with that.
They were cutting since January when they said they would save something like 1 billion this year from dcs.

But sure, push a false narrative.

update:

overtime approved all keys
Were your new hires between 50-60 2X a week the last 2 years? I’m sure our random handing out jobs to anyone with a pulse is why we are hovering between 20-30 hrs scheduled here.

Stocks are down a whole $19 from last year. It happens. Targets stock is still massively higher than it was pre COVID but let them push this goofy narrative of spiraling failure
There is no spiraling failure, simply a very tight budget.
We are litteraly having meetings talking about all the cancelled projects etc. due to stock/profit loss.

I picked up a 'script at CVS yesterday and Target was crowded, people buying all sorts of shit. 3pm.
Sales are up on low profit categories. The things that actually bring Target money like home decor are way down.

They were cutting since January when they said they would save something like 1 billion this year from dcs.

But sure, push a false narrative.
Again, DCs always cut at the beggining of the year. The pressure continuing now is what is abnormal. You all know this not sure why I am trying to explain. I am pushing a narrative, stating the facts. Our high margin sales are way down, only low margin sales are strong. Discretional spending is even lower due to the "boycott" that is going on, and there is pressure on the stock due to investor fear.
Target will rebound from this zero problem, but the FACTS are that it is influencing the budget.

Back