dont know what to do in this serious matter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd call the Department of Labor, read any and all company policy you can find, and follow all the advice given here.

If you're in the hospital and prohibited from working due to illness, they HAVE to honor that. Yes, it's a business, no, we're not robots, we get sick.

When HR and ETL's say "I don't accept doctor's notes" I secretly wish they'd get severe dysentery for a week and have to call in sick. Doctor's notes chronicle REAL ILLNESS and are an important part of a worker's file.

This is why so many TM's gripe about Target being heartless or a bunch of assholes - they are stuck in a store that has bad management that refuses to respect it's workers health needs.
I think some are jumping to conclusions to much in here. We didn't accept doctors notes either. If someone showed me one or simply told me, I would remove them from the system and put in a blank shift and work on replacing it.

IGNORANT PEOPLE ON HERE. IF YOU READ CORRECTLY I HAVE NOT CALLED OUT ONCE & ALWYAS SHOW UP TO EVERY SHIFT. I WORK PART TIME BUT THEY HAVE BEEN WORKING ME AS IF IM FULLTIME I GET 35/4o HOURS A WEEK. MY HEALTH COMES FIRST & I DAMN SURE DIDNT ASK ANYONE IF THEY ACCEPT DOCTORS NOTES OR NOT... IM IF NEGATIVITY IMPACTING THE BUSINESS BECAUSE OF A MEDICAL PROBLEM SHAME ON THEM. BUT I HAVE CALLED OUT THESE PAST DAYS & SPOKE WITH THE SAME MANAGER & THEY SAID JUST BRING THE NOTE WITH ME WHEN I RETURN TO WORK. THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO UNDERSTOOD ME. HOPEFULLY I GET THROUGH MY SHIFT TOMORROW!
Good luck and I hope you return to your regular heathy self and return to your original schedule.

And, for those who say you don't accept a doctor's note, consider the following:

Suppose someone like the OP fainted twice while away from work, went to the hospital, was discharged with written instructions and a physician's note not to go to work for 3 days. However, due to what was told him, he felt that not reporting to work would result in his termination. He clocks in, goes on the sales floor and a little time later, faints again, and in the process suffers a concussion.

At the very least, you have probably lost that TM for more than those three days, and, in addition, have cost the company workman's compensation for being injured on the job.

So, was not accepting that doctor's note and having that TM think he would be terminated if he didn't work worth it?

Whoever said they don't accept doctor's notes is very heartless, condescending, and ridiculous. Sorry but I doubt you'll find an ETL-HR that doesn't accept doctor's notes.

Whoever said they don't accept doctor's notes is very heartless, condescending, and ridiculous. Sorry but I doubt you'll find an ETL-HR that doesn't accept doctor's notes.
Mine does not.

Calling out is supposed to be reserved for exactly things like this. If you're sick, in the hospital, etc, then call out.

At my store, nobody will care if you are sick and call out for a few days in a row. However they will care if you make it a pattern by calling out multiple times per month, and if those call outs are due to illness, you can submit a doctors note to Hewitt for intermittent LOA.

Saying you slipped in a freezer from fainting would hold up a lot better than just passing out on the floor

Problem with freezer is that it is enclosed so there wouldn't be any witnesses to back up and even worse not everyone checks up on the freezer so it could be awhile before help arrives

I don't accept doctor's notes. If you're not at work, you're negatively impacting the business. If you have a good attendance record and something happens that causes you to miss some time from work, big deal. If you have a terrible attendance record and you bring in a doctor's note, well, you should have made a better effort to be at work the other times you called out. With that being said, every scenario is unique and each one it looked at on a case-by-case basis.

Being a new TM makes it difficult. There is no one-size-fits-all solution to this problem. The best thing you can do is call your store and explain the situation. I doubt you'll get fired, but if you have any more attendance issues within your first 90-days, that could pose a problem.

I would hate to work for your dumbass.

Pre-Target I had a thankfully acute (originally misdiagnosed as chronic) medical condition. I had worked there nearly a decade, and my problem coincided with some massive reorganizing and two people quitting. I pushed myself beyond all reason, including turning down a doctor's note at one point, and was getting in trouble for not doing things a doctor had specifically told work I couldn't do.

If I could relive that part of my life, I'd have told them kiss my ass and taken FMLA as a straight three months off instead of just for PT and when the pain was too great. No job is worth your health.

A doctor's note doesn't erase the fact that you missed work, it simply proves you weren't just calling off for the heck of it and most leaders take that into consideration when doing attendance coaching and wouldn't put someone on a cca if that's why someone was out. However, if you already have attendance issues and then something happens and you're sick or in the hospital, it might be different. You've basically already used up any "goodwill" so to speak, with attendance.

In your position, I would've called until I could've talked to either your ETL or the ETL-HR and frankly explained the situation.

"Hey I was in the hospital with doctor's orders not to come back until friday, I can go ahead and call out every shift the day of until then, but if you can pull me off the schedule and offer up my shifts I think that'd be more convenient for everyone."

We've not taken dr notes for years because it's expected you only call or with legitimate excuses. If yoy insist they will put it in your file. If they don't believe you it is required for yoy to come back to work or not get corrective action. Depending on the quarter ppd (think that's the right acronym) is filed for every shift missed, no matter the reason.

That being said taking my mom to cancer treatment, my dad to pt, and giving myself pink eye from dog hair along with a wicked cold and snowstorms has been no big deal. Because 99%of the time I come in. And I often make it up that same week. But I'm not salesfloor or a cashier so I only effect backup and break coverage.

IGNORANT PEOPLE ON HERE. IF YOU READ CORRECTLY I HAVE NOT CALLED OUT ONCE & ALWYAS SHOW UP TO EVERY SHIFT. I WORK PART TIME BUT THEY HAVE BEEN WORKING ME AS IF IM FULLTIME I GET 35/4o HOURS A WEEK. MY HEALTH COMES FIRST & I DAMN SURE DIDNT ASK ANYONE IF THEY ACCEPT DOCTORS NOTES OR NOT... IM IF NEGATIVITY IMPACTING THE BUSINESS BECAUSE OF A MEDICAL PROBLEM SHAME ON THEM. BUT I HAVE CALLED OUT THESE PAST DAYS & SPOKE WITH THE SAME MANAGER & THEY SAID JUST BRING THE NOTE WITH ME WHEN I RETURN TO WORK. THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO UNDERSTOOD ME. HOPEFULLY I GET THROUGH MY SHIFT TOMORROW!

I'm sorry that this is causing you stress.
When you ask for advice here folks tend to jump in with both feet and don't always take people's feelings into account.
Please understand that most of it is well meaning and from a place of wanting to be supportive.
I hope you get better soon and that the management treat you decently.

AS TO THE REST OF YOU...

CAN WE BE A LITTLE NICER TO EACH OTHER, PLEASE?

DISAGREE ALL YOU WANT BUT DON'T INSULT EACH OTHER AND FOR FUCKS SAKE THINK BEFORE YOU POST.

I wonder if your hrbp is aware. I ran it by ours today and he said the store could get into legal trouble for terming someone with the appropriate doctors notes.
Nobody is talking about terming someone. If you are missing work often enough for that to be a possibility, you should go for an intermittent LOA.

At least two of our ETL-HRs have had this policy, including one that transferred from another store in the district, so I just assumed it was a Target policy.

Doctors notes can be faked, and as I said, calling out is supposed to be used for when you legitimately cannot work (even though many people seem to use it when working would just be inconvenient).

My other job will excuse absences with a note, but it has to be faxed to the store directly from the doctor, and the only reason they take it at all is because it's in the union contract.

Looks like this thread needs the good old:

jump-to-conclusions-mat.jpg

This happened twice where I work. TMs missing work due to emergency doctors visits. They accepted the doctors note and just kept an eye on them calling out. Pretty sure if it became a pattern to miss work they'd give them less hours and ruin them under the covers. No blatant firing or punishment. Not even a coaching. Just shady, underhanded demoralization.

People honestly have to read correctly... lol. I returned back to work today & gave them my note from the hospital. As I was still not feeling good they told me go home & that it was okay. If I still feel the way I do tomorrow they said I can call out... everything will be fine. My health comes first & I'm not gonna keep repeating myself. So thank you to everyone who understood! Have a blessed day now!

I don't accept doctor's notes. If you're not at work, you're negatively impacting the business. If you have a good attendance record and something happens that causes you to miss some time from work, big deal. If you have a terrible attendance record and you bring in a doctor's note, well, you should have made a better effort to be at work the other times you called out. With that being said, every scenario is unique and each one it looked at on a case-by-case basis.

Being a new TM makes it difficult. There is no one-size-fits-all solution to this problem. The best thing you can do is call your store and explain the situation. I doubt you'll get fired, but if you have any more attendance issues within your first 90-days, that could pose a problem.
I don't want to sound like an ass hat because I am sure you have a valid reason for doing that. However, refusing to take a doctors note that is legitimate is also negatively impacting the business far worse that a missing TM whos green. You are opening the whole company to liability issues. My store does.

As having been a mgr in two other large chains and a director of hospitality at a hotel (150 room) attendance issues are obvious before 90 days. So while I agree with how you would handle the issues if you worked for me, you would have got coached for that very statement because no one wanted to get sued for liability especially a legitimate illness.

This is target so we are who we are. And I apologize because I fell you have a valid reason. I indeed have one for mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back