dont know what to do in this serious matter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a new team member. Started on July 6th. I haven't called out not once. Last night around 2am I went to the hospital because I fainted twice so they admitted me & ran a bunch of test. I got discharged around 7:30am... My shift today was 7am-3pm... as I could not go because I was in the hospital. I called out 2 hours before my shift, no questions were asked to why I'm calling out but I had told them what happened & I wouldn't be able to make it today. Before leaving the hospital I got a doc note stating I can't go back to work until Friday per doctors orders (My store doesn't accept doc notes) I have a shift tomorrow from 8am-4pm. What do I do?! Call out again?! I'm so nervous I will get introuble or fired.

I'm rather surprised they wouldn't accept a note. But don't worry about Target. If your health isn't 100%, you need to take care of yourself. There will be another job for you.

Before leaving the hospital I got a doc note stating I can't go back to work until Friday per doctors orders (My store doesn't accept doc notes) I have a shift tomorrow from 8am-4pm. What do I do?! Call out again?! I'm so nervous I will get introuble or fired.
Set your alarm 2 hrs before each shift & call out each day if necessary.
Make a note of which leader you spoke to EACH TIME.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP Who said your store does not accept doctors notes. That's false

I was told the day of my interview they do not accept doctors notes. This was way out of my control as I didn't know this would happen to me. So now what do I do?

I was told the day of my interview they do not accept doctors notes. This was way out of my control as I didn't know this would happen to me. So now what do I do?

Bring a doctor's note and give it to the etl hr. Sounds like your interviewer was trying to scare you from calling out.

While they don't have to keep you past 90 anyways as someone who works in hr doctors notes are a game changer because from a legal standpoint a medical professional is excusing you from work.

Bring a doctor's note and give it to the etl hr. Sounds like your interviewer was trying to scare you from calling out.

While they don't have to keep you past 90 anyways as someone who works in hr doctors notes are a game changer because from a legal standpoint a medical professional is excusing you from work.

Thank you so much!
I will call two hours before my shift in the morning & tell them I will return per doctors orders on Friday & of course I will bring my note from the hospital with me when I return to work! Hopefully they understand!

If you are in an ER or are admitted into the hospital, they damn well better take that doctor's note. Take it in to work and give it to your ETL-HR (make a copy for yourself) if they refuse to take it, politely request it be put into your file anyway. Whether they take it or not, document who you talked to, what was said, and the outcome. Also, don't forget to write down the place, date, and time the conversation took place. If you suffer any ramifications from your absence, call the Hotline and explain what happened.

I don't accept doctor's notes. If you're not at work, you're negatively impacting the business. If you have a good attendance record and something happens that causes you to miss some time from work, big deal. If you have a terrible attendance record and you bring in a doctor's note, well, you should have made a better effort to be at work the other times you called out. With that being said, every scenario is unique and each one it looked at on a case-by-case basis.

Being a new TM makes it difficult. There is no one-size-fits-all solution to this problem. The best thing you can do is call your store and explain the situation. I doubt you'll get fired, but if you have any more attendance issues within your first 90-days, that could pose a problem.

Well coming from a store where stl,etls and even srtls have no problem calling out sick themselves,I would have no problem giving them a sick note and telling them I would be back on friday.doubt if you will have any problem with that particular issue.

I don't accept doctor's notes.

With all due respect you are not an etl hr. No one owes you a doctor's note

Etl Hrs are supposed to keep a folder of doctors notes, Ada accommodations etc.

If you're not at work, you're negatively impacting the business.

And this is why some people leave Target. We aren't dealing with robots we are dealing with people. If someone goes through the trouble to get a doctor note they clearly care about their job

Last edited:
I'd call the Department of Labor, read any and all company policy you can find, and follow all the advice given here.

If you're in the hospital and prohibited from working due to illness, they HAVE to honor that. Yes, it's a business, no, we're not robots, we get sick.

When HR and ETL's say "I don't accept doctor's notes" I secretly wish they'd get severe dysentery for a week and have to call in sick. Doctor's notes chronicle REAL ILLNESS and are an important part of a worker's file.

This is why so many TM's gripe about Target being heartless or a bunch of assholes - they are stuck in a store that has bad management that refuses to respect it's workers health needs.

If you have a terrible attendance record and you bring in a doctor's note, well, you should have made a better effort to be at work the other times you called out.

THIS. A tm was recently discharged from the hospital and showed up later that night for a closing shift because said tm was afraid to call out. Said tm has been late quite a number of times and has called just prior to the beginning of a shift to say they'd be late. Do I feel bad for this tm? Of course I think its unfortunate that they were sick and in the hospital. But. Be on time for your shifts unless there are extenuating circumstances and you don't have to be scared to call out for a legitimate reason.

To the Op like others have said your health comes first. Take the doctor note with you when you return to work. Let them make a copy and you keep the original. Always, remember ( write it down if your memory is like mine) who you talked to, date ( even time ) and what was said . I truly hope you get better soon .

I don't accept doctor's notes. If you're not at work, you're negatively impacting the business. If you have a good attendance record and something happens that causes you to miss some time from work, big deal. If you have a terrible attendance record and you bring in a doctor's note, well, you should have made a better effort to be at work the other times you called out. With that being said, every scenario is unique and each one it looked at on a case-by-case basis.

Being a new TM makes it difficult. There is no one-size-fits-all solution to this problem. The best thing you can do is call your store and explain the situation. I doubt you'll get fired, but if you have any more attendance issues within your first 90-days, that could pose a problem.
I don't think its your call as to whether accept doctors notes or not. Whether the OP has been with the company 9 days, 9 weeks, or 9 years isn't the issue. The issue is they were in the hospital...so there has to be something wrong with them. They shouldn't have to worry about losing their job etc...or for that matter getting shit for calling out . THIS is one of Spots issues...they will let some tms be late all the time ncns and do nothing ...someone else has a legitimate issue and they are all up their butt.

Last edited:
How heartless can you be for someone to literally be admitted to the hospital and you're like "lol should have tried to get to work harder" like ???????? It is just a minimum wage retail job like yes it is important and a responsibility but you should not be sacrificing your health to get in for a shift it's not like the place will shut down without you. Your life and health > target

What I would do in addition to calling out every day is to call your ETL-HR and let them know what happened and that the doctor excused you for a certain amount of time. Just so they can try to cover any shift you might've had. When you call out, just say you had talked to your ETL-HR but wanted to make sure they knew.

If that's really how you think, no offense but God, I would hate working with you. I understand that you have a responsibility showing up to work and to do your job but calm down it's just retail. We're not saving lives here.

IGNORANT PEOPLE ON HERE. IF YOU READ CORRECTLY I HAVE NOT CALLED OUT ONCE & ALWYAS SHOW UP TO EVERY SHIFT. I WORK PART TIME BUT THEY HAVE BEEN WORKING ME AS IF IM FULLTIME I GET 35/4o HOURS A WEEK. MY HEALTH COMES FIRST & I DAMN SURE DIDNT ASK ANYONE IF THEY ACCEPT DOCTORS NOTES OR NOT... IM IF NEGATIVITY IMPACTING THE BUSINESS BECAUSE OF A MEDICAL PROBLEM SHAME ON THEM. BUT I HAVE CALLED OUT THESE PAST DAYS & SPOKE WITH THE SAME MANAGER & THEY SAID JUST BRING THE NOTE WITH ME WHEN I RETURN TO WORK. THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO UNDERSTOOD ME. HOPEFULLY I GET THROUGH MY SHIFT TOMORROW!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back