Dresses at work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol and yet you seem to have just as much time to comment eh?
the world is insane but it it always insane. The only real major difference right now is having to wear a mask at work. Outside of that, life’s gone on.
Time to comment is not the issue. I spend way too much time on here lol.

Having said that, I will also say that Spot should update the dress code policy to address the issue of dresses, as well as clarify the acceptable colors for bottoms. Even a line that says "check with individual store leadership" for policy would be helpful.
Not really an issue. It specifies 2 articles of clothing. A dress is a single item. It’s not a top or a bottom and both are necessary to follow the dress code.

You guys really think OP is the first person to question the dress code? Target is a Fortune 500 company, pretty sure they have the necessary wording as your handbook is a legal document.

I'd recommend a red bikini top and a denim looking bottom. Beyond that, don't think it's a no no, per text.
It actually does forbid revealing clothing. So no bikini top unfortunately. Though I’m sure it would’ve looked great.

US Army veteran, back in the 90s. I think I have some idea as to what it means to wear a uniform, and how to follow orders.
Yeah I do too. Which is why when I got hit on a uniform inspection for the width (or lack there of) of my heel I was able to prove my officer wrong and she apologized. Because much like this incident our uniform regulations only actually told you it must be no higher than, no shorter than and no wider than but never gave a measurement of how thin a heel could be.
like I said, having been in is how I learned that it’s important to know the rules you’re being told to follow and what is expected of you.
Additionally their reaction when having never expressed that it was illegal to wear a dress at their store while permitted at others, was grossly overdramatized. If you’re not going to tell me I can’t, I’ve been allowed to in the past you have no right nor reason to scream at me and tell me I’m being inappropriate. Especially when you have nothing in writing to back it up.
They just didn’t want to be proven wrong.
This is not an issue of me not knowing how to follow orders. This is an issue of their store versus previous stores I have worked at having a different interpretation of the dress code. And then assuming that I would know that without having ever expressed it prior to me showing up in a dress.

Here are pics of the 2018 book, prior to the change to it being okay all the time to wear denim. Which as far as I can tell is the only thing different in the newest edition. It even states that HR is responsible for making sure you are aware of their standards prior to first shift. Which clearly they did not.

And to everyone asking out my ETL, no I’ve seen the dude like 2 whole times in the past 3 months. I sometimes wonder if he ever works.

I’ve been off the past couple of days (not because of this- I’m a reservist so I had drill stuff happening) so we shall see what happens when I return to work. Fun fact a family member bought me a khaki colored skirt (cuz I sure AF wasn’t gonna but one) the same style and fabric of the dress I was wearing to pair with a red blouse, so We are excited to see how the TL reacts to it being almost exactly the same but two toned.

Attachments

• 12807A9B-940E-42AE-AECC-83DD40A4F8F1.jpeg
    12807A9B-940E-42AE-AECC-83DD40A4F8F1.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 9
  • CA33E2E1-2A28-45DC-B18E-044DAD673AE7.jpeg
    CA33E2E1-2A28-45DC-B18E-044DAD673AE7.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 8
  • 3E2B9F13-9EB5-45A1-B28C-B40D2E058976.jpeg
    3E2B9F13-9EB5-45A1-B28C-B40D2E058976.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 8
US Army veteran, back in the 90s. I think I have some idea as to what it means to wear a uniform, and how to follow orders.
Additionally thank you for your service. I will say though I was/am Navy, and our branches run very differently. I know because I’m usually part of joint commands. And I’ve found that most Army and Marines are taught not to question things just do as you’re told. Where I’ve seen and experienced that the Air Force and Navy tend to want you to speak out if someone is telling you something incorrect. Or to even know your regulations period. I had many a Marine friends who minds were blown when I told them that if their SSGT denied their leave request it had to go to the CO (which is true of all branches) because their higher ups have them so mind washed to just listen to the person directly over them that they never questioned it and one wasn’t going to put in a request because his SSGT said he was just going to deny it (it was for a funeral for his grandma). He legit did not know that it would go up further even with the no from one person.
Which is what lead me to study law, which is why I feel so strongly about someone needing to prove me wrong or concede to the request no matter how stupid others may think I’m being.
There is no legitimate reason, and no policy telling me that I can’t wear a dress. Some are saying it must be two toned then. So if I sew this skirt to a red top is it still wrong?
I want a real answer and sadly I haven’t been at work to get one yet.
So yeah from your POV it may seem stupid like just shut up and do what you’re told. But I was taught to question things and fight for things. And unlike in the Army, it’s not like any of you will be punished for my doing so. (Which btw is how the Navy runs things - punish in private, praise in public- so it’s only one persons fault not the entire command)I’m the only one who could theoretically be hurt by it, and even then retaliation is actually illegal, and if I was terminated over it I’d clearly have a lot of time to fight them (in court if need be)((fight over being wrongfully terminated, not about wearing a dress))over it wouldn’t I?

So basically, not really sure why you’re so upset about me wanting to be allowed to wear a dress at my job.

So basically, not really sure why you’re so upset about me wanting to be allowed to wear a dress at my job.

I frankly don't care if you wear a dress at the job, as long as it matches dress code. And you are fighting against having to wear something that matches the dress code. That's my problem, you are clearly breaking the rules but try to pull out a dozen different reasons out of your ass in order to justify what can't be reasonably justified. You aren't wanting to follow the rules, you are wanting special treatment. You are wanting to wear something other than what is dress code. You are being a work Karen.

And considering that employment is at will -and- that talk is no doubt going into your record as a coaching, firing isn't retaliation, it'd be firing for cause.

No where does it say that it’s up to the discretion of each store. In legal terms, since they neglected to address the specification on a dress, you can wear one because it’s not specifically determined to be something you cannot wear.

You're making up laws. You claim to have studied law, but you somehow think at will employment doesn't apply to you - it most certainly does - it's active in all 50 states, and in DC..

Your employer does not even need a reason to fire you, so they can absolutely tell you what you can and cannot wear.

In legal terms, you can either wear what you're told to or find a new job. That's all there is to it. There's no requirement for dress code requirements to be written in the corporate handbook. There's no requirement for the handbook to say Store Directors can tweak the dress code as they see fit.

Your Store Director can fire you for any, or no reason. Potentially, he can be fired by his boss if he fires you for a reason that his boss doesn't approve of. That however is common sense, and has to do with corporate hierarchy, not law. Law has nothing to do with what your SD can or cannot fire you for unless they are discriminating upon you being a member of a protected class, which doesn't remotely seem to be the case.

Your SD telling you that you can wear a dress but your older colleague cannot, that'd be a legal issue. Your boss dictating that no dresses are allowed in the workplace is not.

Last edited:
Exactly. The plaid shirt issue is a good example. One SD says no plaid shirts, another wears them himself. Neither is wrong. Discretion of Leadership, ASANTS and all that.

Funny thing about this is that dresses are generally regarded as "dressier" than pants. Strange that at this particular store, dresses are prohibited while on the job.

If you do argue this with management, they will arrange to "performance you out" in short order. Spot doesn't take kindly to assertive TMs who stand up for "their rights" unless it's a flavor-of-the-month social cause like BLM. I have real and genuine sympathy for your desire to wear a dress, but at your current Target store this really comes down to: would you actually like to be employed at Target, or would you rather be RIGHT and not employed at Target?

Last edited:
Here are pics of the 2018 book, prior to the change to it being okay all the time to wear denim. Which as far as I can tell is the only thing different in the newest edition. It even states that HR is responsible for making sure you are aware of their standards prior to first shift. Which clearly they did not.

And to everyone asking out my ETL, no I’ve seen the dude like 2 whole times in the past 3 months. I sometimes wonder if he ever works.

I’ve been off the past couple of days (not because of this- I’m a reservist so I had drill stuff happening) so we shall see what happens when I return to work. Fun fact a family member bought me a khaki colored skirt (cuz I sure AF wasn’t gonna but one) the same style and fabric of the dress I was wearing to pair with a red blouse, so We are excited to see how the TL reacts to it being almost exactly the same but two toned.
So your dress is definitely not okay...... pants or skirt..... a dress is neither

One curious walk down history lane: when Target was founded in 1962, as a division of Dayton's Department Stores, the dress code for women working in just about any American business (excepting manufacturing-related jobs) was........ wearing a dress. Target would not have been an exception to such a requirement. The transition to women being "allowed" to wear pants to work, particularly in customer-facing jobs, was a lengthy one over many, many years. There is a certain irony in that women wearing dresses to work in public-facing jobs is now considered verboten in some workplaces. Like it or not, the boss makes the rules. Deal with it.

In M*A*S*H*, a 1970s CBS situation comedy set in a U.S. Army mobile hospital unit during the Korean War, an eccentric draftee named Corporal Klinger was depicted on nationwide television frequently wearing dresses as part of his attempt to obtain a psychiatric discharge from the military service. Mind you, this was years before there were any broadcast TV depictions of LGBTQ cross-dressing or lifestyles!

They said legally they can’t not allow me to wear a dress if it’s religious preference and they aren’t actually allowed to ask me to prove my religion. Thusly, dress may be worn at work as long as it complies with all other dress code rules.

For those who were interested. Just had the meeting, they contacted HRs boss. Dress is actually allowed.
Now that you've ruffled a few feathers at your store, don't be terribly surprised at receiving a lot more coaching. They'll probably be extra-nice to you during these repeated coaching sessions, to conceal the actual intent is to performance you out. Maybe you'll be lucky and they will not hassle you, but you've been cautioned.

I do enjoy how many have asked would you rather work at Target?? No I’d rather put food on my table while I’m in school. Doesn’t really matter where, but looking at the current environment if you’re wondering why I haven’t left, it’s pretty obvious no where is hiring. But trust me the second I can I will.

They said legally they can’t not allow me to wear a dress if it’s religious preference and they aren’t actually allowed to ask me to prove my religion. Thusly, dress may be worn at work as long as it complies with all other dress code rules.
Why the bleep are you so fixated on the concept of a dress? The problem is the color. Let me say it again, C - O - L - O - R. Are you completely ignoring the color aspect because you know you're wrong?

I really, really hope they teach you a lesson about dying on such a teeny hill by cutting you to 4 hours for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back