Dresses at work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For everyone who is quoting denim or khaki at me, I urge you to go read your books. First of all, it says any colored pant or skirt as long as it’s a solid color. And in parenthesis it says preferably denim or khaki. That’s a preference not a requirement.
So no dress, even in the book..

I had an etl who liked to wear red skirts and khaki top. It was just right above but not too high from the knee. She looked goood

All right, I'll be a little more plain. I'm thinking that leadership said flat out the color is the problem, the OP argued back about the color instead of taking ownership for violating the color portion of the dress code, leadership got annoyed, and either they tried to shut the argument down with a blanket "no dresses" since the OP can't seem to understand the color portion of the dress code - or - leadership said "no red dresses" which the OP heard/interprets as "no dresses".

The OP has admitted to wearing an inappropriate color and is arguing the appropriateness of it. Since every story has three sides, the OP's side may not match leadership's side and both may not match what was word-for-word said.
Inappropriate color??? I admitted it was an all red dress. Where at Target is it inappropriate to wear red??
my TL said you cannot wear a dress she never mentioned the color, it’s inappropriate for your job. I asked why and where in our dress code it said I couldn’t wear one. She then tried to tell me that I was only allowed to wear a floor length denim skirt. Even told me it had to be denim and couldn’t be khaki.

I think mine advice was the best in this thread and it got overlooked 🤦‍♀️
Wasn’t trying to over look it, I thought I had mentioned it in the first post, but at the time of incident we literally had NO leaders who were above this TL at the time. She told me I could go above her if I wanted to and when I requested to she instead called HR’s cell phone and talked to her without me present and came back and said that HR was backing her, without letting me have the opportunity to speak to her myself. I requested to be able to call her and talk to her myself and the TL was pissed off. Because at the time she had given me two options, buy new clothes or go home. So either costing or losing me money. So I called HR and she screamed at me that it was company policy and I needed to listen to the TL. I asked how it was company policy when at other stores they can, she told me our store dress policy said we cant. But only quoted the corporate policy. She asked which option I’d like to take and I said neither because it wasn’t fair to me to expect the rules to be different at this store without having been told previously, and she said fine very angrily and said I could keep the dress on and work my shift. But told me I could NEVER wear one again since my TL had a problem with it.
I have requested a meeting between her and our SD whenever he returns. Not even about trying to wear a dress but for how I was spoken to and treated during the 40 minutes this took place. They wasted almost a full hour of my shift over a dress. I then struggled to finish my work for the evening because of that loss of time, in addition to being so distracted. Im not one to get upset over normal criticism, but the effort in which these leaders were exerting power led me to tears, making me feel like I was dressed like a hooker or something. When I tried to speak with our closing TL about it he legitimated brushed it off and waved me away.
move worked for Target for a while and haven’t ever been treated like a child or less than anyone especially when my work ethic proves otherwise.
Also our HR manager is younger than me, fresh outta college. Which I’ve never judged someone based on their age but she is trying to prove a point in the way she works. I have however reached out to my previous HR manager in order to ask advice on how to proceed forward.

Also to whomever said I can’t claim retaliation over cut hours if this whole thing continues to go south?? I’m pretty close with my coworkers so if suddenly all their hours go up and mine go down that would very easily prove retaliation. As of now our ETL is basically giving everyone the same amount of hours each week, and I’ve discussed with him trying to pick up more shifts in other areas of the store since I’m cross trained in almost every area. It would look a little sketchy.

I don’t even want to work under this TL anymore after this incident due to her treatment, so yeah I am pursuing a meeting with leadership I just do not have high hopes for it based on how they have all already reacted.

Wasn’t trying to over look it, I thought I had mentioned it in the first post, but at the time of incident we literally had NO leaders who were above this TL at the time. She told me I could go above her if I wanted to and when I requested to she instead called HR’s cell phone and talked to her without me present and came back and said that HR was backing her, without letting me have the opportunity to speak to her myself. I requested to be able to call her and talk to her myself and the TL was pissed off. Because at the time she had given me two options, buy new clothes or go home. So either costing or losing me money. So I called HR and she screamed at me that it was company policy and I needed to listen to the TL. I asked how it was company policy when at other stores they can, she told me our store dress policy said we cant. But only quoted the corporate policy. She asked which option I’d like to take and I said neither because it wasn’t fair to me to expect the rules to be different at this store without having been told previously, and she said fine very angrily and said I could keep the dress on and work my shift. But told me I could NEVER wear one again since my TL had a problem with it.
I have requested a meeting between her and our SD whenever he returns. Not even about trying to wear a dress but for how I was spoken to and treated during the 40 minutes this took place. They wasted almost a full hour of my shift over a dress. I then struggled to finish my work for the evening because of that loss of time, in addition to being so distracted. Im not one to get upset over normal criticism, but the effort in which these leaders were exerting power led me to tears, making me feel like I was dressed like a hooker or something. When I tried to speak with our closing TL about it he legitimated brushed it off and waved me away.
move worked for Target for a while and haven’t ever been treated like a child or less than anyone especially when my work ethic proves otherwise.
Also our HR manager is younger than me, fresh outta college. Which I’ve never judged someone based on their age but she is trying to prove a point in the way she works. I have however reached out to my previous HR manager in order to ask advice on how to proceed forward.

Also to whomever said I can’t claim retaliation over cut hours if this whole thing continues to go south?? I’m pretty close with my coworkers so if suddenly all their hours go up and mine go down that would very easily prove retaliation. As of now our ETL is basically giving everyone the same amount of hours each week, and I’ve discussed with him trying to pick up more shifts in other areas of the store since I’m cross trained in almost every area. It would look a little sketchy.

I don’t even want to work under this TL anymore after this incident due to her treatment, so yeah I am pursuing a meeting with leadership I just do not have high hopes for it based on how they have all already reacted.
Go get 'em.

I usually wear a beige/khaki skirt and a red top but occasionally wear the beige dress with a red sweater or red vest or red duster over top. I don't own any denim dresses (blue or otherwise) but imagine if I did I could do the same with something red as a top layer on my top. At Christmas time I wear the santa red sweater dress sold by target one year but I wear khaki leggings underneath. The one below is from Walmart but Target sold a similar one two years ago

. sweater dress.PNG

Inappropriate color??? I admitted it was an all red dress. Where at Target is it inappropriate to wear red??
my TL said you cannot wear a dress she never mentioned the color, it’s inappropriate for your job. I asked why and where in our dress code it said I couldn’t wear one. She then tried to tell me that I was only allowed to wear a floor length denim skirt. Even told me it had to be denim and couldn’t be khaki.
Your TL sounds like a real piece of work and so does your HR. It also sounds like they are making up their story as they are going along and neither of them are any good at it. A floor length denim skirt? Please. Surprised these mean girls masquerading as leaders aren’t requiring a hoop skirt, and no leader should be yelling at anyone, period. Unfortunately, these two sound petty enough to retaliate against you for crossing them, and as Box Cutter said, that can mean cut hours, poor reviews and performancing out. Good luck! 😁

Sounds like you are stuck with shit leadership and a bad case of the MUSATGA (Making Up Shit As They Go Along).
It's a shame you have to put up with this bullshit.
I'm afraid that if HR and the TL are are tight then the chances of you getting a better hearing are slim to none.
This is the kind of thing that the higher ups really don't want to deal with.
Not the dress thing, they want the people on the lower end to have had that taken care of.
What they really don't want is having someone show up who challenges their people.
Even the stupid ones.
It takes up time and energy that can be used making money.
I hope you win because, it's stupid and what the hell difference does it make?
But having been one of those people who challenged their people, I know how this tends to turn out.
Which is why I'm not working for Spot anymore.

Payroll Hours are limited by dept & projected for certain amt, every week. If there are low sales, reduced hours.
Those pay hours can be distributed anyway management wants to allocate them. They need more hours for training? Your hours get cut. Market or Gen Merch need to come clean? Your hours get cut. Hours get swapped around all the time at my store.

Also, OP, what does being "pretty close" with your coworkers have to do with it?

Response big as book

Sounds like you got your answer and you should let it go. As for it was handled, it was piss poor. If you want to keep fighting it, good luck but uniform has been red and khaki for several decades now. They have modified it to make it easy on team members but dress isn't apart of that culture.

Yes, inappropriate color. Red is appropriate from the waist up. Red is inappropriate from the waist down, because the color for the waist down is khaki or blue denim.

Yes I know you have to be older to have military service, but you sound like a petulant teenager. And the military should have shown you how to properly wear a uniform and how to judge if a uniform meets standard.

Why the hell are you so hung up on winning an unwinnable battle? Especially when you admit flat out your color choice does not match dress code. Do you think you are special and should be treated better than everyone else?

And no, it's not retaliation to change hours so that people who are willing to wear clothes that match the dress code get preference over the one who is argumentative, ignoring it and demanding special treatment.

If you are stuck on wearing a dress rather than a skirt follow @SallyHoover 's example. That is a khaki bottom with a red top, which does match dress code.

Any solid color is legitimately in dress code for the waist down portion. You could wear solid purple pants and it's in dress code. Will they say something? Probably. Can they (as in are they actually allowed to) do anything about it? No. The handbook clearly states solid colored with khaki being *only* preference.

That sort of depends on what state you are in.
The reason the rule is written that way is there are a few states Washington, California, with laws that say the companies have to pay for any uniforms that are outside of 'standard' daily wear clothing colors.
Khaki doesn't fall into the list of colors people wear for funsies so if Spot told you had to wear it, they would have to pay for it in those states.
Since they write the national dress code so they can't be sued in any state that's where you the solid color pants in the code.
However if you show up with purple pants in Texas you ain't working.
Our backroom guy, who was never seen by guests, came in on April Fools Day wearing a Khaki shirt and red pants.
They laughed then made him go home at lunch and change.

First, thank you for your service to our country. I have great respect for you

Second, I think you will enjoy being a lawyer since you come across as someone who is passionate about righting wrongs.

I have been with Target for close to 19 years and I'm going to tell you how this will play out. If you dress the way they want you to, you will most likely be scheduled as you currently are scheduled. If you continue to fight to wear the dress, win or lose, you may be looking at being scheduled 4 hours per week. Now you will say, they can't retaliate against me like that, but you have already given them the cover by stating:

Your hours will be cut, and there is very little you can do about that because of "the needs of the business."

My advice, if you like working at Target, are satisfied with your hourly rate, and are content with your scheduled hours, play ball with your store's management and wear what they say you can wear.

If you insist on dying on this hill in your red dress, be ready for drastically reduced hours, little if any merit increases in your hourly pay rate, and eventually being performanced out.

Choose wisely and good luck.
Agree 100%

Yes, inappropriate color. Red is appropriate from the waist up. Red is inappropriate from the waist down, because the color for the waist down is khaki or blue denim.

Yes I know you have to be older to have military service, but you sound like a petulant teenager. And the military should have shown you how to properly wear a uniform and how to judge if a uniform meets standard.

Why the hell are you so hung up on winning an unwinnable battle? Especially when you admit flat out your color choice does not match dress code. Do you think you are special and should be treated better than everyone else?

And no, it's not retaliation to change hours so that people who are willing to wear clothes that match the dress code get preference over the one who is argumentative, ignoring it and demanding special treatment.

If you are stuck on wearing a dress rather than a skirt follow @SallyHoover 's example. That is a khaki bottom with a red top, which does match dress code.
It says solid color for bottom. I’ve been messaging my old HR and she said that we can technically wear Red pants if we wanted because of the way the dress code is written. If they didn’t want us to wear a dress or red bottoms then they should have only listed denim and khaki as options. Because even giving the two options would mean they don’t have to pay for uniform items. However they didn’t write just those options. I even worked for Target prior to my military service before they did allow jeans, or expanded the dress code as much as it has. So yeah. If they wanna say I can’t then they need to contact corporate and change the dress code. Also if you’ve ever met anyone in the military you’d actually know that the squeaky mouse gets the cheese. So it’s not childish or like a teenager and I’m sorry that your parents taught you to just stand by and let things happen to you. But I’m not gonna stand idly by while people try to tell me that I don’t have the right to wear something when I do.

Having said that, I will also say that Spot should update the dress code policy to address the issue of dresses, as well as clarify the acceptable colors for bottoms. Even a line that says "check with individual store leadership" for policy would be helpful.

You need to talk to your etl about dress code, not your tl. There could be a safety issue with the dress. Caught in a ladder or the rollers used for truck, etc..
Also, we are the internet & every store is different.
So my dress could get caught on something but a skirt couldn’t?
that just doesn’t make sense.

Girl, the world is absolute insanity right now and this is what you want to turn into a huge issue? Do you think that Corporate is going to side with you? This is frivolous.
Lol and yet you seem to have just as much time to comment eh?
the world is insane but it it always insane. The only real major difference right now is having to wear a mask at work. Outside of that, life’s gone on.

Girl, the world is absolute insanity right now and this is what you want to turn into a huge issue? Do you think that Corporate is going to side with you? This is frivolous.
This 'girl' also made it thru 6 yrs active duty.
You know how hard that is for a woman?
Not to mention the shit they deal with from fellow soldiers, every day is 'livin' la vida loca'.

This 'girl' also made it thru 6 yrs active duty.
You know how hard that is for a woman?
Not to mention the shit they deal with from fellow soldiers, every day is 'livin' la vida loca'.
I'm not sure what I said that would negate any of that. "Girl" is just an expression, like Dude or Bro.

It's my opinion that a mountain is being made out of a molehill, is all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back