Drive Up and OPU process

ServiceEngaged

ServiceEngaged
Hey guys! So I’m in charge of guest service and trying to prepare for Q4, I’m trying to search a good way to help my team with drive up and OPU orders. If you could toss up some ideas of how you process and pull orders that be amazing! I’m literally running out of ideas!!!

Get some plastic bins and put them in the OPU hold area (out of fulfillment's way!!!). Use those to stage bags for guests who are on the way so your team just has to drop the bags in a cart and head out. Get some multi-colored chip clips to clip onto bags for guests with multiple bags per order so if your team is carrying out several orders at a time they can tell which guest gets which bags by the color of the clips. Make sure your team is scanning every bag/item and immediately grabbing it out of hold. Don't let them scan, scan, scan and then try to grab them all because they'll forget an item of two on large orders.

Make sure your team is only in the hold area to pull orders. If they aren't pulling, they have no reason to be there. If there are issues with how things are being put to hold, partner with the fulfillment TL or veteran TMs to see what, if anything, can be done to make the process easier for your team.

Finally, check the Return to Stock card in Greenfield daily so you can stay ahead of any problems with TMs not properly processing orders out and giving the guests everything for free. This will be an issue with seasonals.

Make sure that the Fulfillment team is putting separate labels on large items (like soda, diapers and cat litter). We were getting a lot of missed items because our Drive Up team were not noticing these items and thus leaving them behind. Now that we have to scan each bag barcode, this should hopefully eliminate the problem.

Also make sure Fulfillment is not putting different orders in the same WACO.

One bad habit we had to nip in the bud was TMs processing grocery orders before they were outside with the guest (in an effort to make goal times). Obviously, way too many things can (and did) go wrong with this. Now that we have coolers up front, this is less of a problem.

Separate labels is key. This is fulfillment's job and if they don't follow through and do one label per multi-bag order, it can be problematic. Especially when 4-5 guests arrive at the same time with no warning.

Starbucks-area coolers has really helped with our goal times. We get the cold OPUs if there is a short estimated arrival time. If not, we wait.

We just load one order per cart or put them in various locations on the counter. We don't really have a problem with confusion but I can see how the colored clips might be good. It just adds another step in the process (both the putting on and taking off) which you might not always have time to do.

Have a flatbed in the OPU area if possible for those big items. It takes a lot of time to retrieve a flatbed and load a big item; it's quite impossible with the 2 minute window.

When it's busy, we have one dedicated person just doing a continual loop with the DUs.

Separate labels is key. This is fulfillment's job and if they don't follow through and do one label per multi-bag order, it can be problematic. Especially when 4-5 guests arrive at the same time with no warning.

This is true. However, don't just blame fulfillment. We all make mistakes. Front end team members need to do their part of the process and check everything appropriately. We're busy in fulfillment too.

You have problems with multiple guests arriving at once. We have problems with hundreds of DPCIs in the queue to pick and needing to rush. Please check everything.

This is going to be especially important in Q4 when we are forecasted for March/April Covid panic rates of OPUs and seasonals picking. Guest Services needs to double check.

I really feel the process has improved so much since the beginning of the pandemic craziness which is good given what will happen Q4.

My biggest reason in calling out Flex is to beg that newbies are trained to do the multiple sticker thing bc it does take longer I know but definitely helps the whole process go smoother.

Do you guys have a dedicated OPU person or no? We have the schedule like that, but OPU and service desk are interchangeable, so they’re both just bouncing all over the place. Seems like it would be better to have a person doing solely drive ups and OPU’s and then cleaning up the desk and sorting reshot, etc rather than both being everything and anything

Do you guys have a dedicated OPU person or no? We have the schedule like that, but OPU and service desk are interchangeable, so they’re both just bouncing all over the place. Seems like it would be better to have a person doing solely drive ups and OPU’s and then cleaning up the desk and sorting reshot, etc rather than both being everything and anything

We have dedicated drive up people. There's one person on the schedule at all times for it. Two are scheduled for peak times. In store pickups are handled by the service desk. The drive up people used to do pickups too. That led to a lot of guests around the hold area often just wandering in and harassing fulfillment to process their orders. Discussions are ongoing about how things will be handled in Q4.

We have some red bins that aren't for fulfillment to use. We put orders that are on the way in them (one order per bin). We put at least one sticker on the edge of the bin so you know whose order is in there. Some TMs will put all the stickers there which helps if someone else is running the order out. We also have one guest service only 3 tier. It will get one order per level with the stickers placed on the bar, so you know whose order is there. We also keep a cart over at GS for big things or big orders. Our DUs are handled by the GS team. The DU TM doesn't help the people coming to the desk. If anyone attempts to follow us behind the desk, they are quickly told to get out. During peak times we have 2 people on the desk and 2 doing DU or we might have 1 at the desk and 2 doing DU, if the desk gets busy one of them can ask people in line if they have a pick up.

I'd like to hear your tips for keeping the times, honestly, under 2 minutes. I taught the TMs how to look up the times and all this week we have been in the green.

We have 3 buggies for drive up, we attach dry erase boards to them to label orders. We attached hooks to handle of buggy to hang bags from. We got hooks from style they use them for back stock style. We label orders by bag placement B stands bottom of buggy, T stands for top(kiddie seat) hooks labeled H1, H2, H3, H4. BB is bottom of buggy. Example: H1: Smith H2: Jones T: Harris B: Evans etc...

Typically, I can tell whether drive ups will be green just by looking at who is scheduled to do them that day. In the past, my store tended to assign people to drive ups who were essentially front end problem children, i.e., the lazy and incompetent TMs. A new SETL came in and insisted that the better advocates be scheduled for it and that the same people get scheduled for it routinely so they can take ownership of the process. It's worked. They have a core group of 4 TMs right now. If they're scheduled, they'll likely be green. If not, drive up times will likely be red. In other words, to hell with front end modernization. Drive ups are mostly handled by a specialized team.

We don’t have a dedicated drive up person... it was too hot in the summer to have one person doing the running for 8 hours (although it tended to happen anyway), but half of GS thinks that they are too good to run drive ups. We used to schedule a dedicated drive up person, but it would either A. End up being someone who feels too superior to do drive up and someone else would get roped into doing it or B. The DU person ends up in tears or about to commit a murder because no one else at GS wants to help because they aren’t scheduled DU.

We have 3 buggies for drive up, we attach dry erase boards to them to label orders. We attached hooks to handle of buggy to hang bags from. We got hooks from style they use them for back stock style. We label orders by bag placement B stands bottom of buggy, T stands for top(kiddie seat) hooks labeled H1, H2, H3, H4. BB is bottom of buggy. Example: H1: Smith H2: Jones T: Harris B: Evans etc...
I’m surprised leaders let you use carts for Drive Up.

We don’t have a dedicated drive up person... it was too hot in the summer to have one person doing the running for 8 hours (although it tended to happen anyway), but half of GS thinks that they are too good to run drive ups. We used to schedule a dedicated drive up person, but it would either A. End up being someone who feels too superior to do drive up and someone else would get roped into doing it or B. The DU person ends up in tears or about to commit a murder because no one else at GS wants to help because they aren’t scheduled DU.

This is a problem we have been having too. I can't stand it. I get real bitchy when I am there and this happens. It's gotten better though. One of the princess TMs got fired and I have a feeling the others were coached.

@idkwhattodo, do you and I work at the same store? JK.
@seasonaldude, I agree that I can tell if DU time is going to be under 2 by who is working. When the hustlers are there, it’s green unless something went horribly wrong.
We don’t have people who are scheduled for DU specifically but I think we should. It’s always the same 2 or 3 people doing it when assigned to guest service and the other folks either can’t for medical reasons or are princesses who refuse to do it. I’ve tried to say people should be assigned to a role when they are scheduled at guest service.

(This is what would happen in my fantasy Target where no one called out, people were properly trained, and leadership held team members accountable.) On a weekend, you would have 3 people scheduled for DU. One of those people would be the main runner who brings the orders out to guests. One of them gathers the orders and preps them. We use guest carts and put a sticker on the handle to say whose order it is and, if there are cooler or freezer items, we also put a sticky on the handle. The third person is a combo runner/gatherer. If there is any down time, for DU, these folks can do damages, sort reshop, hang clothes, clean out the lost and found bin, clean around guest services, do small Shipt orders, help with OPU, etc. But they should not be taking guests with returns or problems that can get them taken away from DU for a long period of time.
Then you have 2-3 people helping the guests with returns, OPUs, large Shipt orders, placing Target.com orders, etc.

In my opinion, the DU machine breaks down when one of the people take their break and no one is designated to assist while that person is gone. I see this especially when we only have 2 people doing DU and for 30 minutes or so, the other DU person is prepping and running while the people at the desk are folding clothes or doing damages. If everyone knew what their job was upfront, there wouldn’t be this confusion. Now the honk goes off and I’ve seen three people stand around chatting at guest service while one person is running their ass off prepping orders and bringing them out.

When I do DU, to keep under 2 minutes, I scan the bags as I get them from the shelves. For cooler and freezer items, I scan those too, and then leave them So when I grab them from the freezer or cooler, when the guest is here or close, I don’t have to scan them. I don’t do guest returns or anything that’s going to potentially take a lot of time. Sometimes this can’t be avoided if we are short handed and no one can back up guest service but a leader will usually come to back up or even do drive up. If I have like 3 people coming within 4 or 5 minutes of each other, I’ll bring them all with me out to the parking lot. While I’m putting the order in 1 car, the other orders show up and I’m right there. The thing about this is making sure you know whose order is whose. You don’t want them mixed up. (Which I have done.) If someone else has prepped the order, I try to go and scan the bags so if I’m bringing them out, I can just slide the thingy to enter the guest code or scan their bar code. Try not to have to scan the bags when the guest has already beeped.

I would really like to know where the 2 minute time limit came from and when corporate is going to it. Especially with COVID people are using DU to do their entire grocery shopping in some cases. When DU first started it was usually the odd order that was huge. Now, especially on the weekends, every order is a cart full and it’s in different locations. Keeping the 2 minute time limit is possible but difficult and you have to have the right team doing it. I would love to see it extended to 5 minutes. Because honestly, when I’m out there in a minute, the guest has to log in and get their bar code or numbers. Or the guest is using GPS and they are stuck at a red light but their order beeped so there went 30-50 seconds down the drain. Plus, the guest doesn’t know we’re supposed to be out there in 2 minutes. When it’s been longer and I apologize, they’re like “uh whatever, I’ve waited longer for a Big Mac at McDonald’s”.

Sorry this is so long and cranky. This is my biggest gripe in my store right now and I’m worried about what’s going to happen as we get closer and closer to the holidays.

I really feel the process has improved so much since the beginning of the pandemic craziness which is good given what will happen Q4.

My biggest reason in calling out Flex is to beg that newbies are trained to do the multiple sticker thing bc it does take longer I know but definitely helps the whole process go smoother.

Trust me I am being a bitch about this to the newbies. With the full blessing of our TL. I have also seen the shelf of missed orders in the guest hold area, GS has to look at the details of what they are grabbing and see that they have all the items in that location. One thing I am pushing if we have multiple bags in location is to put a post it note or scribble on the bag "1 of 3" so hopefully it trips that you need to grab three bags. Cause at least with some of lazier GS people short of putting every single bag in a separate location they can't grab entire orders.

So many times, I'm outside waiting for the guest to even arrive. And then they are literally shocked that I'm right there.

But here's my biggest peeve: I roll up with order, guest is doing God knows what in their car, not paying attention, finally realize I'm there, fiddle with their mask, try to find the code on their phone which should already be loaded and finally show it to me. Meanwhile timer goes into the red and I'm just like "I did my part...not my fault the guest is lazy.

Back