Drive up out of control

Does anyone feel uncomfortable in the dark doing DU especially between 10pm and midnight? I don't feel comfortable walking up to dark cars/vans/suv's. Yes, I know lot's of people work as delivery people or night time cart attendants.
If you don’t feel comfortable 100% ask GSTL (or other etl) for a buddy to walk out with. If they decline, talk to ETL HR or hotline. You have a right to feel safe in your job.

when hiring people isn’t an option for the higher ups, they are going to have to come up with a better plan than just pulling people from other departments
Exactly!!! I thought it was only in my store. They only have 2 employees per dept and all of them are running all over the parking with the Drive ups because there's only 1 SA for the returns, OPU, Registry, Holds, Card Payments...etc. ohhh and don't forget only 1 Zebra and its almost dead.

When I was working in the backroom today, one of the managers came in and collectively asked the group why no one respond when the message was transmitted that backup was needed for drive-ups. One guy promptly responded "Because that's not my damned job. I was busy trying to complete the job you people gave me." The manager responded that guest service is everyone's job, and he responded that he needed to get back to work. It was pretty funny. Something tells me that associate had tenure, because management didn't press the issue.

I'm always happy to take them out; as @INFThatShiz pointed out, it's a nice way to sneak some outside time. I do mind it when no one answers calls for help. (I have to say for as difficult as our ETL-SE can be, they're right there helping if they're in the building.)

Seeing how it's been in the hundreds where I live, I dread going outside. I have no idea how the cart wranglers deal with it.

I just left a job where I had to work outside all day, every day. Hot as hell. Working indoors is one of the reasons I applied to Target. I'd like to keep it that way

When I was working in the backroom today, one of the managers came in and collectively asked the group why no one respond when the message was transmitted that backup was needed for drive-ups. One guy promptly responded "Because that's not my damned job. I was busy trying to complete the job you people gave me." The manager responded that guest service is everyone's job, and he responded that he needed to get back to work. It was pretty funny. Something tells me that associate had tenure, because management didn't press the issue.

*Lead.

And, probably not a direct lead of the TM, so it will have to be reported to the direct lead for coaching. Because it literally is his job to assist with drive ups when asked.

I’m about 99% sure that won’t be the end of it. The Leader was wise to not continue the conversation with other TMs around, however I’m also 99% positive a conversation will be had about it. Mouthing off to a Leader is never a good idea. At my store GM would respond that they were in the backroom and ask if anyone was closer, why didn’t anyone at your store do that? Acknowledging the call for help and letting them know where you were and why would have helped the Front and Leaders know what was going on and readjust their priorities for TMs based on who would get the DU out quickest.

I literally led an Orientation today and it still has us talk about “taking in a one team mindset.” Modernization wasn’t designed to turn the stores into Island of the Flies. I’m constantly amazed and saddened to see stores that have gotten to that point.

It won't be long til Spot jumps onboard!!!

7c0sydL.jpg

I’m about 99% sure that won’t be the end of it. The Leader was wise to not continue the conversation with other TMs around, however I’m also 99% positive a conversation will be had about it. Mouthing off to a Leader is never a good idea.

While I agree, I really am surprised that no one seems to understand this guy's frustration. The guy was working his butt off the entire day, helping team members and doing his own job. To be right in the middle of something, stopped to help way in the front, then be expected to rush back and finish the job in the same amount of time as if he weren't called up front IMO is a tad unreasonable.

I guess that is why the turnover rate for this company is so high. I understand that customers come first, that is not what my real beef is. My real problem is the managers expecting this to happen, then getting upset that you didn't finish the backroom stuff in the same amount of time that you would have if you hadn't been called up front. What confuses me more, is that so many Target employees don't seem to have a problem with this, or deem it unreasonable.

TLs are not gods, and talking back to them is not the unpardonable sin.

I literally led an Orientation today and it still has us talk about “taking in a one team mindset.” Modernization wasn’t designed to turn the stores into Island of the Flies. I’m constantly amazed and saddened to see stores that have gotten to that point.

Anyone who had any sense of what modernization was could see this mentality coming from a mile away. It is the natural human reaction to the artificial divisions that modernization creates. Modernization will not create more efficient stores, it will not enhance guest experience and it will not improve team member's situations. The ONLY thing modernization will accomplish is lowering payroll.

While I agree, I really am surprised that no one seems to understand this guy's frustration. The guy was working his butt off the entire day, helping team members and doing his own job. To be right in the middle of something, stopped to help way in the front, then be expected to rush back and finish the job in the same amount of time as if he weren't called up front IMO is a tad unreasonable.

I guess that is why the turnover rate for this company is so high. I understand that customers come first, that is not what my real beef is. My real problem is the managers expecting this to happen, then getting upset that you didn't finish the backroom stuff in the same amount of time that you would have if you hadn't been called up front. What confuses me more, is that so many Target employees don't seem to have a problem with this, or deem it unreasonable.

TLs are not gods, and talking back to them is not the unpardonable sin.
It needs to start with decent Leaders. There is literally no way around that. They need to have their TMs backs and stand up for them while inspiring the TMs drive to do more. Until that’s in place it’s just going to be a disaster. TMs have a lot to do but they should be able to speak to what they accomplished and have it be enough.

When I started at Target years ago we would always hand off to the LOD, just letting them know what we got through and what was left plus anything extra we did. I still do that and I can tell the Leaders appreciate us old schoolers that do, but the new TMs aren’t picking it up and I can see the correlation as big as the generational gap.

No one at Target is a god. In the end we’re a store that sells toilet paper. However, the Leaders do need to be treated as the authority figures they are. I’m not about to bite the hand that feeds me and I’m baffled that anyone else would.
Anyone who had any sense of what modernization was could see this mentality coming from a mile away. It is the natural human reaction to the artificial divisions that modernization creates. Modernization will not create more efficient stores, it will not enhance guest experience and it will not improve team member's situations. The ONLY thing modernization will accomplish is lowering payroll.
Modernization doesn’t have to create barriers between departments. That’s on the Team. Our Beauty TMs know the first thing they’re doing every morning is pushing reshop. They don’t mind since their department is dead and they like to see the rest of the store. Tech will still clear sporting goods and seasonal indymes if they aren’t with a guest. TLs will cover tech’s breaks and lunches. If Market needs a push party well thats where we go. Maybe because we never stopped helping each other at my store we have never come to expect we would. 🤷‍♀️

...is a tad unreasonable.

My real problem is the managers expecting this to happen, then getting upset that you didn't finish the backroom stuff in the same amount of time that you would have if you hadn't been called up front.
A tad unreasonable is pretty much what Target is being at the moment. Everywhere. With all team members. When I interviewed there was an ETL who said he was looking for a unicorn team member and described exactly what you just described.
Modernization will not create more efficient stores, it will not enhance guest experience and it will not improve team member's situations.
You are absolutely right. Modernization saw our store go from 4 cashiers and 2 Guest Service cashiers (we don't have self-checkout) on a busy Saturday to regular 1 cashier and 1 GS cashier and looooooong line of very frustrated guests. A lot of them just left their shopping carts in the line and left. There were, maybe, 3 team members on the floor who would respond for backup and end up staying well over an hour at the registers. It resembled Wal-Mart more than Target.
🙊

Modernization doesn’t have to create barriers between departments. That’s on the Team. Our Beauty TMs know the first thing they’re doing every morning is pushing reshop. They don’t mind since their department is dead and they like to see the rest of the store. Tech will still clear sporting goods and seasonal indymes if they aren’t with a guest. TLs will cover tech’s breaks and lunches. If Market needs a push party well thats where we go. Maybe because we never stopped helping each other at my store we have never come to expect we would. 🤷‍♀️

One of these days you are going to get a visit and they are going to rip your SD for having people out of their assigned area.

One of these days you are going to get a visit and they are going to rip your SD for having people out of their assigned area.
That’s going to require the upper echelon to know where everyone is supposed to be. Phones are getting answered, we aren’t calling for many back ups to the front, and the few indymes that do go off are being answered before the third call. District knows the stores don’t have enough payroll, but our guests are happy and we’re comping well enough to have extra payroll. They’re fine looking the other way.

You are absolutely right. Modernization saw our store go from 4 cashiers and 2 Guest Service cashiers (we don't have self-checkout) on a busy Saturday to regular 1 cashier and 1 GS cashier and looooooong line of very frustrated guests. A lot of them just left their shopping carts in the line and left. There were, maybe, 3 team members on the floor who would respond for backup and end up staying well over an hour at the registers. It resembled Wal-Mart more than Target.
🙊

this isn’t modernization, this is your leadership writing a shit schedule and not managing your payroll properly

this isn’t modernization, this is your leadership writing a shit schedule and not managing your payroll properly
That's what my TL blames. Of course, he hates his existence when he's at work, so you might be right, too.

My problem with modernization is not that it creates barriers between departments, it's done the opposite of that, it's just the totally disingenuous attempt to disguise this as somehow better for the guest. I had to do the inclusion training a few weeks ago and they had to talk about modernization about being better for the guests because cashiers can now do some basic guest service functions (good, I suppose) and we on the floor don't have to call for someone on the backroom team when we need something using the Wave. Give me a fucking break. a) that hardly ever happened and b) I'd buy that if they had taken the dedicated backroom person and put them on the floor, vs taking our backroom people and moving them to the floor but keeping the same number of people on the floor as we had before at all time. So, instead of having 2-3 people in hardlines at night and 1 dedicated backroom person to do the pulls, backstock, bales, set the line, help with high up stuff, etc. while us on the floor push the batches, zone, reshop, help guests & back up the lanes, now there are two of us who have to pull the batches, push them, help guests, back up the lanes, zone, do reshop, freight and backstock. There is no universe in which you will convince me that it's better for our guests for me to spend a third or more of my time in the backroom, another chunk of it on the lanes leaving guests to ask the SFS/OPU people for help and they always pass people off to a floor TM ASAP because their pick goals don't include stopping to help guests who can't find anyone to help them because we're all in the fucking backroom or on the lanes.

Back