Service & Engagement Drive Up Time

What are the chances corporate is going to adjust the Drive Up time?* Who came up with 2 minutes and why? We used to do pretty well being under 2 minutes but now we are getting giant orders, the number of orders has increased, and we have the same number of people to prep orders and run them out to guests. And when I apologize for being late, the guests don’t care.

*I know it’s not going to change but these are the things that keep me up at 2 am.

You never know when the next car might be parked, so you have to mentally prepare yourself for whatever! Remember to have a sense of urgency but you also want to be careful. To be honest, the drive up time has never been more than 2 minutes, so I highly doubt corporate will adjust the DU times, even during the holidays.

I don't work at Target anymore but I did a drive up this morning and the app told me because of the holiday season my order might take longer than usual. But they haven't adjusted the goal time for you all? That sucks.

Our average drive up time for the year is 2.48. Beginning of the pandemic was rough and GS messed up so many orders, we said “accuracy over time.” Then suddenly our ETL was like, “you all suck. you need to be better or you won’t be scheduled at GS.” she wrote people up for having times over 2 minutes and we even started a book with each drive up over 2 minutes with our rationale as to why it was over 2 minutes, which took more of our time.

Even with our coolers/ freezers in the back (no longer in the back now) of the store our ETL threatened to write up our only useful TL and a bunch of TMs. Yesterday, we were so understaffed at the desk. One on drive up, one at the desk while our bad TL was in TSC and our ETL was in the office ignoring our calls for help, it was a mess. Every drive up I took out was over 10 minutes. We aren’t the highest volume store in our district (close to the top, but not the biggest), but we consistently have the most drive ups. I took out 79 drive ups yesterday and that was with finally getting more people in. 2 minutes is just impossible.

Our average drive up time for the year is 2.48. Beginning of the pandemic was rough and GS messed up so many orders, we said “accuracy over time.” Then suddenly our ETL was like, “you all suck. you need to be better or you won’t be scheduled at GS.” she wrote people up for having times over 2 minutes and we even started a book with each drive up over 2 minutes with our rationale as to why it was over 2 minutes, which took more of our time.

Even with our coolers/ freezers in the back (no longer in the back now) of the store our ETL threatened to write up our only useful TL and a bunch of TMs. Yesterday, we were so understaffed at the desk. One on drive up, one at the desk while our bad TL was in TSC and our ETL was in the office ignoring our calls for help, it was a mess. Every drive up I took out was over 10 minutes. We aren’t the highest volume store in our district (close to the top, but not the biggest), but we consistently have the most drive ups. I took out 79 drive ups yesterday and that was with finally getting more people in. 2 minutes is just impossible.
Keep calling out on walkie that you need help eventually maybe someone will help. When we get real bad we sometimes have team leads from Gm and Style help. I’ve even seen our SD jump in to help!!

My God! My store is under 2 minutes for the year. But, they've gotten there because they barely care about accuracy at all. It drives me crazy. It drives my TL crazy. It drives my ETL crazy. Everytime we audit our hold area we have multiple carts of crap to haul out that guests didn't get.

But, our DSD only cares about the 2 minutes, so that's all the SETLs care about. They'll get snide emails from the DSD if they don't achieve that all important metric on any given day.

If corporate would just change the goal time to 3 minutes or do something about no warning large orders, we could actually get things out fast and accurately. But, nope, let's keep this insane goal.

Keep calling out on walkie that you need help eventually maybe someone will help. When we get real bad we sometimes have team leads from Gm and Style help. I’ve even seen our SD jump in to help!!
Oh I do! SD has and never will help. Closing TL will, but that’s it. No one else in the store will ever come up. It’s like every department for themselves when it comes to helping each other. It’s very petty.

We’ve had guest complaints and social media comments about drive up team members crying or near tears while delivering drive up orders. It’s yiiiikes.

Here is what pisses me off....

When OPUs are approaching goal time, more people jump in and it's all hands on deck, but when the front end needs help with the DUs everyone is like nope.
YEP. My SD will pull me from GS to do OPUs when they need help as if we have someone to spare at guest service. It makes my one TL soooo mad.

I have noticed a lot of our new seasonals and even some veteran GSTMs having less accuracy. Today alone I answered three calls about missing bags in DU orders. I think the pressure of keeping good times might be getting to them. On the bright side we finally have a sub 2 minute DU average for the year.

Do none of y’all just politely ask the guests to back out and hit I’m here again to reset the timer when it gets too long?

One of the particularly annoying things at my store is the drive up spots are way closer to the grocery doors, but GS is at GM doors, so that's an extra 10-20 seconds (depending on how busy the parking lot is) for TMs just to get across the parking lot vs if they'd put them right outside the GM doors. When taken against a 2 minute timer, along with the increases in order size, it's really an unfair disadvantage.

We've got a good system for staging orders and there's always at least 2-3 people assigned to drive up/pick up at the service desk, and those people no longer pick any orders, but still (that may be standard at all stores now, but when OPU/DU started at my store it was one person who picked orders and brought them out to people, unless they were out on a pick, then someone else would run out the orders).

I have noticed a lot of our new seasonals and even some veteran GSTMs having less accuracy. Today alone I answered three calls about missing bags in DU orders. I think the pressure of keeping good times might be getting to them. On the bright side we finally have a sub 2 minute DU average for the year.

No. It's a simple not taking that beat to read that you have everything.. It pisses me off to no end that I have to spend time picking all the items and you guys can't be bothered to make sure the guest gets the items they paid for.

A combination of TMs not giving a shit, pressure of rushing through orders when there are 10 guests parked in the drive up spots, and having all 50+ items scanned into hold as 1 bag, when there are 5 bags and 4 large items with the same reprint sticker.

A combination of TMs not giving a shit, pressure of rushing through orders when there are 10 guests parked in the drive up spots, and having all 50+ items scanned into hold as 1 bag, when there are 5 bags and 4 large items with the same reprint sticker.
This. Especially the last part. Or my new favorite thanks to the newbie flex TMs, putting one item on a shelf with a sticker and another item that goes with that same order on a different shelf with no sticker or even better, on a different shelf in a Waco in a bag with no sticker. Both things happened during a 10 person DU rush and led to me making an impassioned walkie plea to the TL to train the seasonals better.

No. It's a simple not taking that beat to read that you have everything.. It pisses me off to no end that I have to spend time picking all the items and you guys can't be bothered to make sure the guest gets the items they paid for.
maybe if flex team did their jobs and followed the process my team wouldn't have accuracy errors =]

Back