Drug Test for injury

So I had something weird happen to me on my last shift. I got an injury while unloading. (I stepped on a nail in a floor load truck). I notified my OM as soon as it happened. We went to the Nurse's office and went through the process of first aid calling the people we needed to call etc. What was weird is my OM gave me a drug screen. Can anyone enlighten me as to why this happened since it wasn't PIT related and I didn't do the threshold of damage?

Did you get any kind of actual medical attention? Get put on light duty/workers comp?
I think those still matter when there’s an injury, but I don’t know anymore.
When I had to go to the ER a long time ago, I had to get tested. That was for something more minor than yours, just couldn’t handle it in the building.
I’m hoping you at least went for a tetanus shot if you aren’t up to date!

Was it a new OM?
No, This OM has been there a while. They said they didn't know if it was needed they did it in case it was. But I never heard of that unless it was like a major PIT incident. I just wonder if I can drive since it wasn't.

So I had something weird happen to me on my last shift. I got an injury while unloading. (I stepped on a nail in a floor load truck). I notified my OM as soon as it happened. We went to the Nurse's office and went through the process of first aid calling the people we needed to call etc. What was weird is my OM gave me a drug screen. Can anyone enlighten me as to why this happened since it wasn't PIT related and I didn't do the threshold of damage?

Strictly CYA.
They clearly wanted to make sure they made sure that there there was no room for error even if it was kinda stupid.

Did you get any kind of actual medical attention? Get put on light duty/workers comp?
I think those still matter when there’s an injury, but I don’t know anymore.
When I had to go to the ER a long time ago, I had to get tested. That was for something more minor than yours, just couldn’t handle it in the building.
I’m hoping you at least went for a tetanus shot if you aren’t up to date!
I got the Tetnus shot. They actually did that on-site when they opened up the office for the day. I did end up going to urgent care because I did develop an infection. Have to go back tomorrow to get it checked and see if I'm cleared to work. They won't accommodate what the doctor wanted so if the doctor doesn't clear me I get to spend the weekend at home.

You have to do a drug test for any injury for Target.

If you don't do drugs then you have nothing to worry about

I thought Dc folks wore steel toe shoes to prevent the event?
Nope. Not required. Steel toes also don't stop nails from puncturing the bottom.
You have to do a drug test for any injury for Target.

If you don't do drugs then you have nothing to worry about
Not true. Not required for injuries. Sounds like there's been an uptick in issues in OP's DC around drugs and someone suggested to drug test as a CYOA. Not that OP is doing drugs but certain times of year people get jumpy.

Nope. Not required. Steel toes also don't stop nails from puncturing the bottom.

Not true. Not required for injuries. Sounds like there's been an uptick in issues in OP's DC around drugs and someone suggested to drug test as a CYOA. Not that OP is doing drugs but certain times of year people get jumpy.
I believe there has been a rampant increase in certain situations. PIT incidents I can say have been bad lately. I could honestly understand a drug test if I had been standing on a pallet and I had the same incident but these were on the floor of a trailer that someone didn't care to clean. But I understand my OM was just CTA. I think I'm lucky I have chill OM's. They apologized to me about the entire situation and assured me it had been escalated.

Was it just on a loose board on the floor or was it one of those containers that has hundreds of half-driven then bent over nails sticking out of the floor?
Those trailers always freaked me out.

Seems like they recently started drug testing for everything at my DC. Tap a fan coming out of the truck and not cause damage? Drug test. Nothing is happening to those that fail though. It's always been injury = drug test everywhere. Positive drug test = Employer gets out of paying medical bills because now the argument is that said injury could have been preventable if one was not on drugs.

Was it just on a loose board on the floor or was it one of those containers that has hundreds of half-driven then bent over nails sticking out of the floor?
Those trailers always freaked me out.
No loose boards to my recollection. I think my OM and I found three nails just lying on the ground, but I can't speak for the majority of the trailor.

Why is this such a big deal if you’re clean?
Well, the original intent of this post was to see if it was standard practice. I had never heard of a drug test for getting hurt. Even when I was learning PIT and had an incident I didn't get tested.

Well, the original intent of this post was to see if it was standard practice. I had never heard of a drug test for getting hurt. Even when I was learning PIT and had an incident I didn't get tested.

If they drug tested every time someone had a minor accident while learning to operate PIT we would have a lot of new hires out the door faster than they already are.
Injury = Drug test no matter what for liability reasons. Bumping a rack foot or bending a beam a little isn't much of a concern when being trained mistakes are a part of learning and one could hold a trainer partially accountable depending on the situation. PIT on PIT should also be mandatory test even if you're in training.

The last revision to the DC handbook was made on 7/27/2022. Stay current! A lot has changed.

I slammed into a protruding piece of sharp cage metal, shin. Required a few stitches. Reported correctly to STL and HR. No drug test.

States also have different laws about drug tests. Some states can be for any injury, some require reasonable suspicion, and some require more then that. If your in a state that allows for a drug test for any reason there probably just covering themselves.

Back