Archived Dumb questions from Guests......really..... you have to ask?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For some reason, when I'm working two or three aisles over from checkout, the question I get the most is, "Where's your registers?"

Phone rings:

*Thank for you for calling your Target, this is bullseyekindaguy, can I help you find something?*

Is this Target?

*yes! can I help you something*

Okay, just wanted to make sure. I kept trying to ask that lady who answered the phone, but she kept talking about the hours.

I'm guessing she was talking about the auto-attendant. But doesn't it say Target a few times during the hours and location info?

i need a shirt plastered in bold white letters that says "yes i work here."

i get asked multiple times every day "do you work here?"
now i slowly look down and stare at my name tag with a puzzled expression for a few seconds before looking up and see if they catch on.
i'm wearing red & khaki. ive got a radio squawking on my belt. i'm scanning stuff. clearly i'm just doing this for fun.

and the people who call and get transferred from the operator.
"hello, can i help you?"
"is this still target?"
"no, you're on the line that connects to the chinese take-out place next door, what would you like to order?"

There's nothing wrong with people asking if you work there.

1. They don't want to make an idiot of themselves by asking a question to some random person
2. This gives you an out some of the time. You can respond "yes but I'm currently blah blah blah"
3. It takes a second to go "yes."

1. They don't want to make an idiot of themselves by asking a question to some random person
2. This gives you an out some of the time. You can respond "yes but I'm currently blah blah blah"
Also, back in the day some retailors had people working in specialized areas. "Not my area." or "I'm on break." I want to blame unions for that culture, but that just might be Target propaganda seeping in osmosis like.

Also, back in the day some retailors had people working in specialized areas. "Not my area." or "I'm on break." I want to blame unions for that culture, but that just might be Target propaganda seeping in osmosis like.

I don't blame unions (Well except in cases like "Will you do this electrical work for me?" "No, I'm a plumber. That will kill me. Talk to the union electrician.")
I blame a culture of specialization, where people only know one section of the store and won't learn any other parts.
They look down on the people who have to do certain kinds of work and sometimes refuse to learn how to do it.
If Spot wants to really have "Team Members" they would cross train people in all departments and make sure that meant front to back.

Last edited:

the other things is red tops and khaki colored bottoms seem to be the clothing choices to shop at Target in my area. Had a ETL ask me "Who is that?" talking about a person about 10 yards ahead of us....because she was having trouble locating a couple of our tm's. After we went through who it could be I really looked at the pants and said"that's a guest...too dark of pants."

It's mean, but I giggle inside when guests try to get out the entrance doors from the inside. I have no idea why its so confusing for them, there's a big 'not an exit' sign.

At my store, the entrance and exit open from both sides. However, we always get guests that try to go out the cart doors, and they're like "derp why won't the doors open?" :facepalm:

I worked at Best Buy in the same center as Walmart.... it was assumed I was a WM employee when I stopped there after work... even with the BB tag on my shirt.

I much prefer the asking to the assuming I do when I don't (happened prior to working, both at Spot and WM).

"Where are your bathrooms?" <---- Food Ave is literally 10 steps away from them.

*walks up to ICEE machines, sees out of order signs on both machines, pulls handle to see nothing comes out* "Hi, can I have an ICEE?" <---- No, here's a f--k you instead.

"Do you have (some obscure item that only hipsters know about)?" <---- I have a reply, but you probably wouldn't get it.

"Do you sell Starbucks coffee here?" <--------- Not in Food Ave, but if you turn around they have it at Starbucks.

"Can I return a loaf of bread if I already ate half of it? It molded." <--- WTF?

Countless other stupid questions.

Last edited:
When I'm cashiering people always hit the "No" button for "Do you want it all on the card" thus stopping the transaction.

I also love the "sign a paper copy button" that guests always seem to hit. They say "OH DEAR, WHAT HAPPENED, I didn't get to sign!" with fright and panic in their eyes. I reply that they hit the "sign a paper copy" button to make them feel silly about themselves. Hehe, my subtle act of revenge to those who don't pay attention. It's a good thing we don't have any fatal questions on that keypad like "sign your lifesavings over to Target" button.

"Everyone's credit machines work different, I don't know..."

That's why they put instructions on the screen, you freakin' moron...

If I had a nickle for every time a guest started at the PIN pad like a deer in the headlights... I don't even ask them anymore, I just inform them, "press cancel for credit," then a few seconds later, I explain how sometimes people will pay for part of a purchase with cash and put the rest on the card.

I'm sure everyone's seen this but just in case:
"Do you want it all on the card?" If the guest hits "no", the register will ask how else they're paying. I just ask them if they meant it to be credit or debit & hit the proper K key to finish the trans (K3 for credit, K6 for debit).
Too much technology & too many choices for most folks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back