Archived Electronics iPad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electronics Man

Electronics Team Member
Hi,

So our SFT, after setting up the Apple iPad Air displaycase, he gave us the old 4th gen with instructions that Electronics TM's are to use it for assisting guests. So I had him load up the Target app, which will be nice for when my phone is dead and I can't look stuff up on the site.

Does anyone else have this same scenario? If so, what are you doing about security? I rather not leave it back in electronics. I mean sure, I could lock it up in the boat, but I don't know if I would trust it there though. I thought of maybe having a signout sheet like we do for keys and keeping it locked up at TSC, however the HR TM shook her head no, saying that it was not best practice. So right now I have it in the Cash Office, though I am not sure if this is going to be the best way of holding people accountable for it. I just don't want it to walk off and disappear.

AP made a sign out sheet, and we're keeping ours in the cash office. I drafted up a notice for the electronics team about the expectations for the iPad. It's to remain in a locked drawer when not in use. It's not to be handed off to other team members, etc. There were also instructions not to install any apps, not even the Target app. They just want us to access target.com via safari. The bottom line is, if it gets broken or stop functioning, it's not supported and there won't be a replacement, so everyone is on super high alert about it.

AP made a sign out sheet, and we're keeping ours in the cash office. I drafted up a notice for the electronics team about the expectations for the iPad. It's to remain in a locked drawer when not in use. It's not to be handed off to other team members, etc. There were also instructions not to install any apps, not even the Target app. They just want us to access target.com via safari. The bottom line is, if it gets broken or stop functioning, it's not supported and there won't be a replacement, so everyone is on super high alert about it.

Thanks for the input. Unfortunately we don't have a locked drawer. We got a clearance case requesitioned for it. I was told the same info, that's why I want to try and make it through 4th quarter without anything happening to it. I don't understand why they wouldn't want the target app installed on it. I went on ahead and had it installed anyways. Target App > Target mobile website.

I have asked our STL to do the same for our electronics dept. It will be a good working display for guests to learn how to use Target.com and cartwheel if they don't have a smartphone. It is expected that our SFT will be able to partner with AP to determine the most secure way to attach it to the boat. I don't think it should be for tm use only. There are already tools to use. There are cameras there and there should always be someone within eye/earshot anyway.

We got ours today and our stl let us get a survivor case for it, do i see us actually using it much.....no just cause my phone can do it much faster than the ipad can, but it is always good to have extra tools to help us

I have asked our STL to do the same for our electronics dept. It will be a good working display for guests to learn how to use Target.com and cartwheel if they don't have a smartphone. It is expected that our SFT will be able to partner with AP to determine the most secure way to attach it to the boat. I don't think it should be for tm use only. There are already tools to use. There are cameras there and there should always be someone within eye/earshot anyway.

With guest centered scheduled hitting early next year, electronics won't be staffed at all hours, at least in my store. Are we keeping the iPad's past the holidays? Our SFT said he heard somewhere that we weren't, but I didn't see that in the email.

Keep us posted as to whether or not you get it mounted. The email seemed pretty clear that it was just for team members to assist with the vibe, and not to leave it unattended with guests, but that may be because of the whole unsecured issue. Also, what's the best way to get it on Cartwheel? Can you use a target email address? We talked about making a throwaway gmail for that purpose.

We have two, one for guest service and one for electronics; they are kept locked up except when a team member is using it to help a guest. From what I understand it's for price matches.

We have two at the service desk... one (iPad2) to help guests with whatever, usually price matching various websites and the other (mini) is for flexible fulfillment. The iPad2 is locked in the Cash office and signed out by the GSTL/GSA in the morning. The iPad mini is secured with some kind of magnetic lock/alarm at the service desk. I feel bad for the back room when they have to hunt down clothes for flexible fulfillment. LOL

I enjoy it. Sure it was fun to complain about at first, but now I enjoy taking a break from the backroom and looking for stuff. Sometimes I ask SL, but sometimes I just look for it using the picture.

I wish we had an ipad in the electronics boat. It would definitely be easier than using the display nook/galaxy tablets that are usually occupied by guests.

Last edited:
I enjoy it. Sure it was fun to complain about at first, but now I enjoy taking a break from the backroom and looking for stuff. Sometimes I ask SL, but sometimes I just look for it using the picture.

Wonder if anyone can abuse the system and request 938 softlines items sending the TM on a wild goose chase. Hmmm...

Not that I'd try it.

(What's your store number konk?)

Wonder if anyone can abuse the system and request 938 softlines items sending the TM on a wild goose chase. Hmmm...

Not that I'd try it.

(What's your store number konk?)

I'm surprised you haven't already done that in Fantasy Target. :D

We got ours today and our stl let us get a survivor case for it, do i see us actually using it much.....no just cause my phone can do it much faster than the ipad can, but it is always good to have extra tools to help us

I WANTED a survivor case, but the only one we carry is pink. :(

I haven't heard anything as far as attaching it to the boat, OR sending it back after 4th quarter.

With guest centered scheduled hitting early next year, electronics won't be staffed at all hours, at least in my store. Are we keeping the iPad's past the holidays? Our SFT said he heard somewhere that we weren't, but I didn't see that in the email.

Does that mean a extreme cut in hours and people back there?

I think this is going to a vary a lot depending on the store. My store is super small, our electronics team is teeny tiny. On any given week it's a challenge to even complete the electronics schedule because of the small number of team members. Because my team is SO small, it means not so much a reduction in hours, but a shift in the times that those hours are scheduled. My HR doesn't know much about the specifics yet, but you can certainly ask yours.

There is some spot logic to rj's posting, we are very slow in January for sales. On the iPads being sent back, could be for an upgrade to a higher ipad.

There was a workbench message sent around that said the sft's when they replaced the ipad displays out that the old ipad would get updated so we can use it to "vibe" with guests by looking up reviews on cnet, target.com, whatever.
But it stated that no apps should be installed except cartwheel (to show guests) and the target app. It will not be supported in any way whatsoever. your supposed to keep it locked up somewhere in the electronics boat. When it breaks, it breaks, to bad for you, send it back CRC and that's the end of that.

Oh... my store has a mini apple store in it, so there are four ipads on display for use. That's probably why Electronics doesn't have one to themselves, but as busy as they are they usually send the guest to me to find price matching.

Our display iPads were stolen a while back, so we won't be using one at Electronics. Our TMs tend to use the Nook HD display to do searches, but we've also recently become one of the pilot stores for "Get Appy" and can have our smartphones on the salesfloor now. Anyone else?

I thought everyone was getting appy. We've been using our smartphones on the floor for a couple of months now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back