Archived Employee discounts (and other questions)...sorry in advance

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I’ve only been with spot for 3 weeks, but have done a pretty great job of picking things up so far (IMO).

However, there are a few things I’m concerned about based on my nonexistent training.

1: the handbook specified that employees need to have their employee discount card for us to be able to give them the employee discount. Frequently have employees (who I recognize) come up and give me their number for discount. Is this okay?

2: handbook also specifies that one of the discounts is only applicable if the TM pays with redcard or gift cards (might’ve been another option too, can’t remember). Anyway, it specifically mentions that we can’t just go buy a target gift card then use that to get the discount. Every other employee I ring up does this (buys gift card, then uses that for a second purchase to get extra discount). I don’t care, but I don’t want to get in trouble for not following the rules.

3: Red cards....am I supposed to be getting people to sign up for these? I have seen it mentioned here, but my entire training was less than 10 minutes and didn’t cover that. I would be happy to promote/sell people on the redcard but so far when I’ve happened to organically generate interest in it, I’ve had to send them off to a GSA or to GS because I don’t know anything about the cards or where to begin signing them up for it.

4: time punches: at orientation they said if you were more than 5 minutes off clocking in/out than it would be flagged and you’d be in trouble. My second shift ever I thought ended at 4:30 but actually was supposed to end at 4:00 (every other shift that week was 4:30). So I clocked out at 4:30 that day and never brought it up to anyone...am I fucked now??

5: another time punch: shift was to start at 8am so at 7:57 I was walking into the store while I pinned on my name badge. An elderly guest approached me as I walked in and asked me for help with self-checkout (no registers were open). I looked around and there weren’t any other TMs within sight distance and it was an easy coupon thing so I just logged onto the SCO to collect the coupon and put it back to store mode. She then took foreverrrrr to finish checking out and needed assistance nearly every step so by the time I got to the check-in clock it was 8:11 (my shift was to start at 8). There wasn’t anyone i recognized as leads or HR to ask if that was a problem or to explain what happened. Should I bring this up to sometone to explain that I wasn’t actually late? If so...who do I talk to about this?

6: I have probably 5-10 more questions but will try to post them individually in the appropriate threads. Thanks again for all of the feedback and help!

I'll answer what I can here.

1. Yes, you need to have a discount card in order to use it. New TMs at my store are given a temporary slip they can use until their real ones come in. This rule does get a little bit of leniency for those new TMs but if you're older then you shouldn't be telling the cashiers to plug in the discount without proof of it, regardless of whether you know they're working or not.

2. You can use cash or a REDCard to get the discounts. ASANTS, but at my store if TMs frequently buy gift cards to utilize the discount, then our AP will catch them at their game. Better safe than sorry on this one.

3. You DEFINITELY need to know how to sign people up for REDCards and chances are you might get coached if you don't. Obviously if you aren't cashiering, it's a little different, but it's pretty straightforward! You explain what a REDCard is to the guest (ask your GSA if you aren't sure what all it does), scan the barcode on the booklet, and follow the directions on the screen.

4. Because of the holidays most stores aren't even paying attention to when you clock out as long as you don't go over 40 hours. Personally I very rarely get out within five minutes after my time is up because of waiting on the next person or because I haven't finished something. Don't worry as much about when you clock out; as long as you aren't clocking in late you should be fine. But don't clock out too early either, unless an LOD lets you leave.

5. Even if there weren't any other TMs around you definitely should not be helping at the SCOs before you clock in. TMs have gotten fired for working off the clock because it's a liability for Target. In your case, however, you can hop onto EHR/Workbench and make a punch correction.

Thank you for the detailed reply!

Regarding #1 (employees coming to my register without an employee discount card and wanting to enter in their number)...should I just tell them no? Or call over a supervisor?
Honestly the only time this has happened has been TMs I’ve recognized or with a nametag/walkie/etc; so I feel awkward demanding a discount card for their $5 frozen dinner when they start giving me their discount #. I don’t want to get in trouble or be taken advantage of though so guess I will call someone over every time now for these. Thank you

Ties into #2 as well...sounds like TMs buying gift cards then immediately using those gift cards on purchases to utilize the employee discount wouldn’t be my responsibility to recognize or deal with; just wanted to make sure I wouldn’t be in trouble for “knowingly” ringing up purchasss for a TM with a discount using a gift card they purchased a couple minutes before.

Regarding entering in TM numbers, my store doesn't care. As long as you know the person works at your store then it's fine to enter in their number. If Target was 100% against this then it wouldn't even be an option in their system to manually enter in the TM number.

Different stores do different things though so it'd probably be best to ask your etl

3(Red cards): ...eek!!! 90% of the cashier shifts I have worked since starting a couple weeks ago have been completely slammed, like to the point where my GSA throws me a walkie (which I barely know how to use) and tells me to call him if me or the other cashiers have any problems.
If it’s as easy as you say to sign people up for redcards though then I will get started (and am pissed I sent the last bunch I sold on it over to GS ).

Also thanks for the info about time clocking. Think I’ve been overly paranoid about that one. The time punch correction would’ve totally made sense in that situation since the time I technically started working (by helping that guest) was within the time I could’ve punched in anyway. Which would’ve meant I wouldn’t have been “late” too.
Always seems so obvious in hindsight.

Thanks again for your helpful response Corrin!! I really appreciate it!

Good point about the TM numbers Saul. The only ones who have asked me to enter in their number for the discount are people who I at least sorta recognized as fellow employees (in their uniform as well). So makes sense to me to be able to type in their number but the handbook and my orientation seemed strict about not allowing TMs to do this. Guess it does vary by store since corrin had a totally opposite response than yours too!

3(Red cards): ...eek!!! 90% of the cashier shifts I have worked since starting a couple weeks ago have been completely slammed, like to the point where my GSA throws me a walkie (which I barely know how to use) and tells me to call him if me or the other cashiers have any problems.
If it’s as easy as you say to sign people up for redcards though then I will get started (and am pissed I sent the last bunch I sold on it over to GS ).
Why does he give cashiers walkies? That's terrible.. cashiers don't need walkies, salesfloor does... you can always just turn on your lane blinker to get attention.. he must be a lazy GSA lol. And redcards really are that easy, I signed somebody up back in Electronics and it's super easy just make sure they have all the information they'll need before you start it (the stuff pops up on screen but I think it's like social security number, ID, address, and a blank check if it's a debit card they want)

He gives me a walkie when he needs to help at GS or go on break since the blinking light doesn’t do much if there’s nobody around to see it lol.

1. Yes. TMs must have discount card or temp card in hand. Or the Authorized Target app wallet.
2. The accepted forms of payment to use the discount is cash, check, Red Card, and Gift Card.
  • It is widely known that one can buy a GiftCard with non-RedCard, and then use the GiftCard with the discount. That is against policy and can be tracked.
  • If a TM uses a GiftCard + discount on the initial transaction, you are good.
  • If TMs are immediately buying GiftCards (with nonRedCard) and then using them with the discount on another transaction, you can deny the transaction. But the incident needs reporting. Its discount abuse.
3.Request training from your GSTL/GSA on RedCards immediately. You are measured on RedCard apps. You basically have to ask everyone that comes through about RedCards.

4. Over-clocking without taking a lunch or going into overtime is highly tracked. 30 minutes for single instance is not bad. Your GSTL/GSA should assist you getting off the lanes if your shift is up.

5. Two solutions:
  1. Help guest and clock in immediately and do a punch correction.
  2. Tell the guest you need to find the SCO TM to assist them and excuse yourself from the guest.

Last edited:
Cashiers shouldn't have walkies unless they work GS.

As for the TMs who buy gift cards and then use it for an immediate purchase, they shouldn't but IMO that's not your job to enforce...it's APs job. So if they want to turn a blind eye, then it's on them not on a fairly newbie/seasonal cashier.

And again ASANTs but if you know the TM, then punching in their #s is probably okay (once in a while) although at my store, everyone has been told they have to use their card to get their discount. It's not that hard to get a replacement if it's just an issue of a lost card.

So I’ve only been with spot for 3 weeks, but have done a pretty great job of picking things up so far (IMO).

However, there are a few things I’m concerned about based on my nonexistent training.

1: the handbook specified that employees need to have their employee discount card for us to be able to give them the employee discount. Frequently have employees (who I recognize) come up and give me their number for discount. Is this okay?

2: handbook also specifies that one of the discounts is only applicable if the TM pays with redcard or gift cards (might’ve been another option too, can’t remember). Anyway, it specifically mentions that we can’t just go buy a target gift card then use that to get the discount. Every other employee I ring up does this (buys gift card, then uses that for a second purchase to get extra discount). I don’t care, but I don’t want to get in trouble for not following the rules.

3: Red cards....am I supposed to be getting people to sign up for these? I have seen it mentioned here, but my entire training was less than 10 minutes and didn’t cover that. I would be happy to promote/sell people on the redcard but so far when I’ve happened to organically generate interest in it, I’ve had to send them off to a GSA or to GS because I don’t know anything about the cards or where to begin signing them up for it.

4: time punches: at orientation they said if you were more than 5 minutes off clocking in/out than it would be flagged and you’d be in trouble. My second shift ever I thought ended at 4:30 but actually was supposed to end at 4:00 (every other shift that week was 4:30). So I clocked out at 4:30 that day and never brought it up to anyone...am I fucked now??

5: another time punch: shift was to start at 8am so at 7:57 I was walking into the store while I pinned on my name badge. An elderly guest approached me as I walked in and asked me for help with self-checkout (no registers were open). I looked around and there weren’t any other TMs within sight distance and it was an easy coupon thing so I just logged onto the SCO to collect the coupon and put it back to store mode. She then took foreverrrrr to finish checking out and needed assistance nearly every step so by the time I got to the check-in clock it was 8:11 (my shift was to start at 8). There wasn’t anyone i recognized as leads or HR to ask if that was a problem or to explain what happened. Should I bring this up to sometone to explain that I wasn’t actually late? If so...who do I talk to about this?

6: I have probably 5-10 more questions but will try to post them individually in the appropriate threads. Thanks again for all of the feedback and help!

1. At my store, if you work in our store and you don't have your discount card, we'll type in your numbers for you. We would not type in numbers for a team member from another store. All stores are not the same though, so it might be best to ask a GSA/GSTL what they'd prefer you to do.

2. You cannot pay for a GiftCard with a form of payment that doesn't qualify for the team member discount with the intent to use it with your discount. That's discount abuse. Again, I'd ask your store what they prefer you to do in this situation.

3. YES. You 100% need to be asking every guest about saving 5% with a REDcard. There should be application booklets in the drawer under your register. All you have to do is scan the barcode and follow the instructions. For the credit card, they just need an ID and their SSN. For the debit card, they need a blank check, an ID, and their SSN.

4. Can't really answer this one because my store wouldn't ever let me be 30 minutes late (hey, guest service JJ, are you clocking out soon?)

5. I'd do a punch correction for 7:57, when you actually started assisting a guest. It's super easy. Go onto a computer in the TSC, log into eHR, and click myTime Self Service. There's a button to do a punch correction.

also given that there's usually not enough equipment for everyone, if the GSA needs to step away they should probably leave a walkie with a veteran team member, if anyone at all.

Regarding entering in TM numbers, my store doesn't care. As long as you know the person works at your store then it's fine to enter in their number. If Target was 100% against this then it wouldn't even be an option in their system to manually enter in the TM number.

Different stores do different things though so it'd probably be best to ask your etl

The temporary discount card for new hires doesn't have a car code. That's why the POS allows cashiers to enter their number

Tbh on the off chance I'm a cashier I will still grab a walkie...because none of the others will, and if the GSA is busy, then one of us needs to call salesfloor/backroom for guest issues. I always have one if I am SCO as well, because chances are I'm going to spot something I need to call AP for and I may not have time to grab my GSA before that guest leaves.

Tbh on the off chance I'm a cashier I will still grab a walkie...because none of the others will, and if the GSA is busy, then one of us needs to call salesfloor/backroom for guest issues. I always have one if I am SCO as well, because chances are I'm going to spot something I need to call AP for and I may not have time to grab my GSA before that guest leaves.

Best practice is that SCO should have a walkie and myDevice to help guests

That’s why my GSA leaves me with a walkie sometimes too, if he knows that he will be busy, or on break, or running to help GS; then someone needs to be able to deal with the blinking cashier lights. So he puts me on SCO or photo when he needs to step away so I’m basically his stand-in as I can help with a lot of cashier questions then have him or an LOD on speed dial if there is something I’m not familiar with and have a question. I usually don’t get a mydevice in those situations though which it sounds like would be helpful. Are those easy enough to figure out how to use? Any way I can download onto my phone?

Also, my store recently put up a sign by the clock station asking if anyone is interested in cross training at starbucks. I would love to learn more and be able to fill in in more areas, but as a seasonal employee still, Can I ask to help with that and be trained? I don’t think I’d want to work at sbux full-time so don’t want to be stuck there but wouldn’t mind being there once in awhile...

For #1, you can also use your badge (electronic card that lets you into employee only areas) as a discount card. That's what most of us that have them do in my store. I also use mine to log into cash registers instead of making speed rings.

For #2, buying gift cards specifically to get your discount is against the rules, but our AP are the chief culprits there, so it's clearly not enforced in my store.

For #1, you can also use your badge (electronic card that lets you into employee only areas) as a discount card. That's what most of us that have them do in my store. I also use mine to log into cash registers instead of making speed rings.

For #2, buying gift cards specifically to get your discount is against the rules, but our AP are the chief culprits there, so it's clearly not enforced in my store.
My store doesn't use badges?

Are those easy enough to figure out how to use? Any way I can download onto my phone?

Yes I figured them out fairly quickly.

Also, my store recently put up a sign by the clock station asking if anyone is interested in cross training at starbucks. I would love to learn more and be able to fill in in more areas, but as a seasonal employee still, Can I ask to help with that and be trained? I don’t think I’d want to work at sbux full-time so don’t want to be stuck there but wouldn’t mind being there once in awhile...

Doesn't hurt to ask, we have cashiers cover Starbucks breaks from time to time.

Doesn't hurt to ask, we have cashiers cover Starbucks breaks from time to time.

Yep, I've been dong this the last few months. I got about a half hour with a barista to learn the basic recipes, and I keep the books close at hand for the specific flavors, toppings, etc. I haven't been fully trained - none of the sanitation tasks, and I don't know how to brew regular coffee, make whipped cream or creamers, or how to work the warming oven.

I just apologize in advance to every guest that comes up for the fact that I'm going to be slow, and ask that they let me know if their drink isn't right so I can fix it.

My store doesn't use badges?
How do you keep guests away from the electronics stockroom or HR desk? Do you use physical locks instead of our electronic ones, or just risk people poking around?

Our ID badges have the employee's name, employee number, and photograph, and a barcode that enters that employee's number into whatever scans it. Do other Targets not have these?

Last edited:
The electronics stockroom has a key, and is within one of the stockrooms. There's an HR office at my store inside the TSC (with its own key), otherwise the computers in the TSC area would have logins, etc. Guests would have no way to access any HR areas.

I can't imagine a world in which it would be cost effective for our store to fit a badge system vs. the key/code system we use now.

I can’t imagine using badges either.. Electronics stock room is just a normal lock (the 6 key) at my store in a section in the backroom. Our HR area is within our TSC and to get into the TSC there’s just a door with a number pin pad...

How do you keep guests away from the electronics stockroom or HR desk? Do you use physical locks instead of our electronic ones, or just risk people poking around?

Our ID badges have the employee's name, employee number, and photograph, and a barcode that enters that employee's number into whatever scans it. Do other Targets not have these?
WTF? We have a electronic lock on our off stage doors that is coded to our store number. The electronics stockroom has an actual key lock that is attached to the electronics keys. and only ap and who ever is doing electronics at the moment has it. We have a public over the radio announced when electronics TM is on break or lunch as to who has the keys.

ID badges are wonderful for non commercial enviroments. They absolutely don't work well in retail. Too easy to steal, too hard to replace. A modern computer today can make a fake version of your id and just wander about.

Yes you can walk into our store with red and khaki and a badge found on the ground. But you couldnt get to a time clock and will be stopped by at least 1 ETL if you look new to ask what store you are from or if its your first day. Too many people try too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back