Archived Employee discounts (and other questions)...sorry in advance

Status
Not open for further replies.
WTF? We have a electronic lock on our off stage doors that is coded to our store number. The electronics stockroom has an actual key lock that is attached to the electronics keys. and only ap and who ever is doing electronics at the moment has it. We have a public over the radio announced when electronics TM is on break or lunch as to who has the keys.

ID badges are wonderful for non commercial enviroments. They absolutely don't work well in retail. Too easy to steal, too hard to replace. A modern computer today can make a fake version of your id and just wander about.

Yes you can walk into our store with red and khaki and a badge found on the ground. But you couldnt get to a time clock and will be stopped by at least 1 ETL if you look new to ask what store you are from or if its your first day. Too many people try too much.

Well, but you just told anyone who visits here how to get into the keypad areas, since it's not at all hard to look up a store number. Harder than finding a badge on the ground. Keys are a different story, obviously, but other posts on this forum show ample ways where certain keys are left unattended.

Not saying that badges are better than than other systems, as I noted above, but to say badge systems are always inherently inferior isn't necessarily right, either. There are weaknesses in any system, and the biggest strength is this: "But you couldn't get to a time clock and will be stopped by at least 1 ETL if you look new to ask what store you are from or if its your first day." We tend to overvalue technology vs people. I remember a guy who used to work for the security company at my day job. Dude was a hardass about badges but I'd seen him every morning for a decade--his recognition of me as a person was far more secure than my badge, which could be copied or stolen.

Well, but you just told anyone who visits here how to get into the keypad areas, since it's not at all hard to look up a store number. Harder than finding a badge on the ground. Keys are a different story, obviously, but other posts on this forum show ample ways where certain keys are left unattended.

Not saying that badges are better than than other systems, as I noted above, but to say badge systems are always inherently inferior isn't necessarily right, either. There are weaknesses in any system, and the biggest strength is this: "But you couldn't get to a time clock and will be stopped by at least 1 ETL if you look new to ask what store you are from or if its your first day." We tend to overvalue technology vs people. I remember a guy who used to work for the security company at my day job. Dude was a hardass about badges but I'd seen him every morning for a decade--his recognition of me as a person was far more secure than my badge, which could be copied or stolen.
The number isnt 4 digits its more than that.
I worked in computers. Badges are worthless. You use biometrics. Blood, iris, whole hand

WTF? We have a electronic lock on our off stage doors that is coded to our store number. The electronics stockroom has an actual key lock that is attached to the electronics keys. and only ap and who ever is doing electronics at the moment has it. We have a public over the radio announced when electronics TM is on break or lunch as to who has the keys.

ID badges are wonderful for non commercial enviroments. They absolutely don't work well in retail. Too easy to steal, too hard to replace. A modern computer today can make a fake version of your id and just wander about.

Yes you can walk into our store with red and khaki and a badge found on the ground. But you couldnt get to a time clock and will be stopped by at least 1 ETL if you look new to ask what store you are from or if its your first day. Too many people try too much.
We don't have special electronics keys. Hardlines, softlines, electronics, and HBA all use the exact same ones. HR just issues keys to whoever asks for them first regardless of department, and everybody wants them because getting somebody with a key to help a guest takes forever, so if you're a mid or close, HR is often out of keys by the time you clock in. I don't even consistently carry keys, despite being electronics, so having a regular lock would keep the electronics TM without keys from backstocking.

I got caught alone in electronics for 15 minutes with no keys and no walkie once. That was fucking hell.

We don't have special electronics keys. Hardlines, softlines, electronics, and HBA all use the exact same ones. HR just issues keys to whoever asks for them first regardless of department, and everybody wants them because getting somebody with a key to help a guest takes forever, so if you're a mid or close, HR is often out of keys by the time you clock in. I don't even consistently carry keys, despite being electronics, so having a regular lock would keep the electronics TM without keys from backstocking.

I got caught alone in electronics for 15 minutes with no keys and no walkie once. That was fucking hell.
Well that is insane. I feel for you.

How do you keep guests away from the electronics stockroom or HR desk? Do you use physical locks instead of our electronic ones, or just risk people poking around?

Our ID badges have the employee's name, employee number, and photograph, and a barcode that enters that employee's number into whatever scans it. Do other Targets not have these?

I've never seen or heard of a Target that uses badges. This is new news to me

The electronics stockroom is in the backroom and is closed off by a locked door where only backroom, electronics, and higher ups have the key to enter

Last edited:
How do you keep guests away from the electronics stockroom or HR desk? Do you use physical locks instead of our electronic ones, or just risk people poking around?

Our ID badges have the employee's name, employee number, and photograph, and a barcode that enters that employee's number into whatever scans it. Do other Targets not have these?

Photo Id badges are no longer used in most stores. Spot could not keep up on tms' changes.

Photo Id badges are no longer used in most stores.

Stuff2 - Yep, what Hardlinesmaster said. I have seen what you are talking about though. The Team Members who started working at Target many years ago had these badges and were using them at my store until they couldn't anymore. I thought the badges were pretty cool because it made clocking in/out so much easier. You just hit [Start/End] [Work/Meal] and scan the badge. No need to slowly type in your TM number on keys that you have to press extra hard on (at least at my store's timeclock). I kind of want a badge.

The electronic badge system is more secure because the code to unlock doors is not your TM #, it’s a custom generated number. Say you drop you badge or a guest swipes it, when you report it to HR they lock that specific badge out of the system.

Say someone had a scanner and duplicated your ID to gain access, sure it would take a minute to realize it, but you don’t even need to get a new card. Just reprogram it.

There’s a reason badge RFID systems are used in high security government and private sector industries.

As for keypad lock, I’ve been in many stores where the code is a random one entirely. The important areas have custom codes anyway.

i would love to swipe a badge to clock in. my store has keypads to get to TSC, with a code that is from what i can tell random

Stuff2 - Yep, what Hardlinesmaster said. I have seen what you are talking about though. The Team Members who started working at Target many years ago had these badges and were using them at my store until they couldn't anymore. I thought the badges were pretty cool because it made clocking in/out so much easier. You just hit [Start/End] [Work/Meal] and scan the badge. No need to slowly type in your TM number on keys that you have to press extra hard on (at least at my store's timeclock). I kind of want a badge.
Yea, I always use my badge for clocking in and out. I hate typing on those timeclocks. Same problem in my store. My badge can also be scanned to get into a cash register (still need to type your pin, though) or enter my employee discount.

I've never seen or heard of a Target that uses badges. This is new news to me

The electronics stockroom is in the backroom and is closed off by a locked door where only backroom, electronics, and higher ups have the key to enter
We have multiple stockrooms in my store (oddly shaped building rather than a big box), so electronics gets its own private stockroom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back