MEGATHREAD End to End team PILOT

E2E doesn't work with the current Logistics processes because of the way payroll is allocated. My store barely changed a thing for E2E, so I assume that some stores will be changing back to 'normal' until the processes change, allowing us to be more successful.
That is NOT a good thing. Those that have too are flagged as failed and will have to be trained properly. It means that mgmt failed as well. This is if you entered the process. If you didnt actually enter the process (or you only did pieces of it) then it means you are going to be trained. There are more stores like mine out there. So I feel sorry for you.

In a store that has softlines E2E but still has at least some of a backroom team, who backstocks the softlines full case backstock?

Most of ours is sent out to the floor with softlines push, and then later brought to the backroom after the breakout. Backroom doesn't backstock it because it comes back so late and they don't really have time, but softlines doesn't backstock it because it's not sorted by department and they view it as not their problem.
If its clothes, its SL and SL should do it. All it takes is VMTL or ETL ge to push firmly.

Honestly though, one of my big concerns here is how much care is going to go into packing the repacks. Right now I have to unnecessarily defect a whole lot of stuff out of them because items with more delicate packaging end up with heavy, crushing (and occasionally leaking) items tossed on top. And the product is usually fine otherwise, but the packaging is unsellable. They really need to comb over every single detail of this process.
Like a box of canned cat food that looks like it was submerged and pulled out before shipping?

The backroom team and flow team at my store are so excited because they were told that Target has stopped the E2E process and will not be going forward. So I'm assuming that for the time being for whatever reason the STL or maybe DTL has decided to pause the process for us until some unknown time. Just based on what I've read it here it seems like we are a minority and I'm curious of what it is going to be like once they are FORCED to do everything E2E and then are scrambling at the last minute to get it done.

Instead of using flow team members in other areas that started to transition to E2E, my store hired a bunch of new outside people. Our flow team is now cut in half because either people didn't want to work 3 or so hours a day, or if they did move to an E2E area they ended up not liking it or realized it was a lot more work than just pushing truck and decided to leave Target for somewhere else.

Softlines and Market are 95% E2E. The Market team lead is very much into this process and making sure stuff gets done in Market. The softlines team leads are so removed from the process it's not even funny.

The backroom team and flow team at my store are so excited because they were told that Target has stopped the E2E process and will not be going forward. So I'm assuming that for the time being for whatever reason the STL or maybe DTL has decided to pause the process for us until some unknown time. Just based on what I've read it here it seems like we are a minority and I'm curious of what it is going to be like once they are FORCED to do everything E2E and then are scrambling at the last minute to get it done.

Instead of using flow team members in other areas that started to transition to E2E, my store hired a bunch of new outside people. Our flow team is now cut in half because either people didn't want to work 3 or so hours a day, or if they did move to an E2E area they ended up not liking it or realized it was a lot more work than just pushing truck and decided to leave Target for somewhere else.

Softlines and Market are 95% E2E. The Market team lead is very much into this process and making sure stuff gets done in Market. The softlines team leads are so removed from the process it's not even funny.
I doubt you're in the minority. No one in my district is even remotely close to E2E. It's being rolled out backwards, causing a variety of issues.

Because some poeple will only buy it at 50% or 70% and Target wants some money off of it rather than no money off it.

I am talking starting the clearance process sooner. Or taking higher markdowns sooner. So the product salvages the week of the reset..... not 1-2 weeks later.

Some sets are late due to the high volume of clearance in the area. thinking Shoes, or Seasonal, or Toys. Why keep around products that aren't selling?

Why not make it easier to make space for products that are in demand (ie Seasonal Lawn and Garden clearance taking up valuable space needed for the BTS reset.)

Continuing the clearance talk (off topic, I know); but I'd like to see it all in once place...or at least more obvious. In my store most of it is on the back endcaps or mixed throughout the aisles. I'm much more likely to buy something on clearance if it's in one place or obvious. It usually isn't. And they are surprised they don't sell it. I understand that we need to keep endcaps for specific items...but if you are trying to get rid of stuff, make it obvious!

Continuing the clearance talk (off topic, I know); but I'd like to see it all in once place...or at least more obvious. In my store most of it is on the back endcaps or mixed throughout the aisles. I'm much more likely to buy something on clearance if it's in one place or obvious. It usually isn't. And they are surprised they don't sell it. I understand that we need to keep endcaps for specific items...but if you are trying to get rid of stuff, make it obvious!
They leave it in the aisles or put it on nearby endcaps so that people who are looking at those products already will see it. Target thinks people are much more likely to buy clearance if it's an item they might have already been looking at, instead of keeping clearance from every department in one huge section.

Some stores in my area actually have a permanent clearance section near seasonal, but it looks really tacky.

Speaking of clearance, I'd like to see it have its own area. Maybe take out the dollar area, which looks like a mess anyway and make it nicer with better merch or a seasonal focal, and then create a few aisles someplace else for all the clearance in the store. Call it Spot's Savings Wonderland or some other shit. Because seeing the random aisles and endcaps all over the store with clearance just looks low end.

OR!! ...just thought of this...when it is due for its first markdown it gets sent to a local Clearance Target warehouse store where all it is is clearance. I'd hate to work there but it would be a huge draw.

Speaking of clearance, I'd like to see it have its own area. Maybe take out the dollar area, which looks like a mess anyway and make it nicer with better merch or a seasonal focal, and then create a few aisles someplace else for all the clearance in the store. Call it Spot's Savings Wonderland or some other shit. Because seeing the random aisles and endcaps all over the store with clearance just looks low end.

OR!! ...just thought of this...when it is due for its first markdown it gets sent to a local Clearance Target warehouse store where all it is is clearance. I'd hate to work there but it would be a huge draw.
Our dollar area stays zoned and it sells a lot. Asants.

We actually have dedicated team members for it, so that helps. It didn't always use to look nice. Hell, even I shop over there now.

Ah, that would help. Ours gets cafe people or front lane people who are told to just go by price. Makes for one hell of a mess right there at the front and makes quite a first impression. o_O

So far my store has the e2e process in beauty, groceries and soft lines ( we are a ulv store). I am not sure how the softlines e2e process is going because I don't have much interaction with them anymore. However, the groceries. Well, lets just say that went to crap real quick. To start with the guys they picked for the grocery team have no sense of urgency what so ever. They come in get there u boats push it backtock it and grab another one. I have seen one guy literally take 20 min to backstock a handful of items. When they do back stock they throw things in the wacos put open bags of candy on upper case pack shelves. They have destroyed the walk in cooler and freezer ( I am glad I don't have to bs it anymore but I took so much pride in it being nice neat and organized). I have been to my srtl who then goes to the ctl and I have seen her point out to them how they are backstocking and how it should be done. However, they don't care. They just throw the stuff up any way they see fit. The beauty team doesn't bs their own truck bs which is fine with me because as a brtm its hours. I have heard out of my own stls mouth that the e2e process is flawed at best. I also have heard that our dtl has even said its not working the way they thought it would .

They leave it in the aisles or put it on nearby endcaps so that people who are looking at those products already will see it. Target thinks people are much more likely to buy clearance if it's an item they might have already been looking at, instead of keeping clearance from every department in one huge section.

Some stores in my area actually have a permanent clearance section near seasonal, but it looks really tacky.

That's the opposite of how I shop. I buy things on clearance that I wouldn't have considered before that. Usually it's something I don't really need, but could use or want at the right price. Maybe I'm the anomaly...I guess.

I can understand the nearby endcaps...but the endcaps my store uses are in the back aisles so people rarely go to/see those endcaps from what I've seen. Most people pass through the main aisles and only go down the aisles they are looking for and turn around and come back to the main aisle. Not up and down each aisle.

Part of the reason it has been paused is the pay issue. You can't have 2 people doing same work for different pay or rather have them at 2 different pay grades.

Shift differential eliminated awhile back. Now this discrepancy. I can hardly wait to see how that is handled.

Not just shift differential but you tm 'a' doing everything that 'b' is doing but because 'a' is 'style' they were being paid more.

Part of the reason it has been paused is the pay issue. You can't have 2 people doing same work for different pay or rather have them at 2 different pay grades.
Yeah? We'll our flow and backroom team are being told it's because it doesn't work. :rolleyes:

Yes this is one of the many issues that they didn't seem to be think thru. Salesfloor is a lower paygrade than Backroom, Price & Planogram. E2E is going to eventually have team members doing "ideally' all of these processes. I don't know if Target is trying to do this on the cheap by not paying people fairly for the work they are doing. It does however sound (in typical Target fashion) that they are not adequately training people to correctly complete the complex tasks that they are being asked to do. But I'm sure it will all work out.....

Last edited:
Just to clarify my position slightly. When I support E2E, it is under the assumption that these changes are in preparation for the eaches replenishment model. I do not foresee E2E being sustainable long term without changes being made upstream as soon as they are capable.

I also support cases shipment when the capacities allow. This is to say that if its possible for a case of 12 to fit on the shelf (say a capacity of 24), then the goal should be for said product to arrive in a case when its at 50%. This should be the goal. This does not seem to be the case for Target's supply chain model currently.

I support an eaches replenishment model as it would allow the flexibility to perform in this way. It allows the option to break down cases (in a productive manner) to prevent over shipment to stores which is currently happening consistently. Are there times I receive bulk of a certain paper item that has no ad rots coming up? Sure, but this is not the issue I am discussing. My problem is that I get two full u-boats for aisle 1 in grocery, and 1 large one goes back as backstock once broken down. This excess is a sign of inefficiency.

And yes, they will fill at trailer with whatever they can because it is locked into one store. At the very least, the implementation of palletized freight (and the ability to segregate trailers) should be priority #1 (even before eaches model, although both go together to Target right now).

This is where the problem lies. E2E does not address any of the excess/inventory problems unless you have bilateral communication. The recipient (you) has to be able to control the amount inbound, if not you'll be swamped with excess work and inventory. I have manged similar processes in JIT and other environments. These systems all are basically the same thing (think coke and pepsi - differences, but they are both colas).

At some point in the near future, min max levels on all merchandise will have to be established at the store level and adhered to. This includes the backroom locations for E2E to work correctly. Excessive inventory shipments that are not anticipated (Ad or other) or exceed the max level should be acknowledged prior to shipments so you do not go beyond your allocated resources. If you can't handle it, you have to refuse it or accept the consequences for the shipment.

Like the paper issue you mentioned. There should be an allocated place for the paper pallet with a min max level. You should be able to glance at the location (this applies to all locations) and know what is getting ready to happen before the system notifies you. If it doesn't, you find out why and manually input your order if required to do so and/or take another appropriate action.

At no point under E2E should you ever deal with excess merchandise shipments unless you know its on its way, have space allocated for it, and most important, the hours/team members available. This is how this type of system works.

You cannot spend time that was not allocated to your store to handle excess freight. You simply will not have the hours, nor the people, nor the time.

Your salary positions will have to make up the difference and this a bad thing if it becomes reoccurring. This is starting to happen at my store.

Spot's just has to get out of the mindset of filling 53' trailers. It's terribly inefficient as you yourself have attested to.

If we were serious about this, we would be seeing "pups" (28' trailers) being dropped at stores like mine at this point. What a marketing idea! :) Instead of dropping a 53' trailer, it would be a 28' trailer. You could take care of two stores (pups are pulled in pairs) without stranding a driver and another store's merchandise for unload time.

They are already using "pups" and straight axle trucks to support Target City locations. So it will not be a "new" venture for us. We would have to plan ahead and lease additional "pups" for certain times of the year. It wouldn't be any significant problem to deal with for a company our size.

It's becoming all to obvious that we went to this system to correct the inventory allocation glitches within our operating system and nothing else at this time.

Instead of fixing the well pump so it pumps the correct volume, we've installed a hand pump next to it so we can draw enough water for the community. We'll all take turns pumping because we've been told it will solve our water shortage. The reality is that you'll soon grow tired pumping water for someone to wash their car every other day and move on to a community that has a functioning well pump. Eventually the water problem reappears when no one else is left willing to pump enough water while outsiders stay away because your well pump doesn't work.

E2E
just will not yield the desired results if the system behind it is not functioning correctly. :(

As I see it, it sucks! They are trying to get the sales floor to do everything, push, backstop, pricing, pogs, re-sets, re-shop, take care of guests, research, zone, and whatever else. Said they wanted more red shirts on tbe floor, they have so much to do they don't have time to properly assist guests. It seems there goal is to eliminate the backroom and flow after the truck is unloaded. They have cut everyone's hours and morale is at its worst. Many TM looking for a new job. The store looks horrible because nobody wants to backstock so the shelfs are overflowing with product. Personally I think this was a BAD ideal and the program should be canceled before it affects the guests and sales.

Back