Archived ETL business college

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a new ETL in training. I am in my second week and I hate it. My STL is a terrible person and wants everyone to work 12 hours days. He doesn't believe in work life balance. The team members aren't so bad but the TL aren't that welcoming. I was so excited like many of you about getting an ETL job and making 58k and I'm telling you politely decline and walk away. There's other jobs out there..

So here's the thing. ETL can be a demanding job. Retail in general is not as easy as everyone thinks it is. For external hires who have never worked retail, Target ETL can be extremely frustrating and most are ill equipped to handle the stress. They have no clue what they are getting into and recruiters make it seem like an "executive leadership" role. Internals tend to fare much better in my experience. They know the company and they know the business. They understand that they are not going to be at a desk all day writing reports or something. If the were a good TM or TL that is.

Hang in there if you decide to stay. Good luck if you decided to leave. Actually, good luck either way ;)

I'm an external hire and I completely agree target should hire internal for ETLs is so much easier for them

I'm a new ETL in training. I am in my second week and I hate it. My STL is a terrible person and wants everyone to work 12 hours days.
Welcome to being in a salaried position at Target.
Target doesn't believe in work life balance.
FTFY
The team members aren't so bad but the TL aren't that welcoming.
That's because externally hired ETLs are a constant reminder that Target values a degree in basket weaving over years of experience in retail leadership for a position that at one time did not require a degree. Most TLs have seen dozens of you come through and fail spectacularly.

Welcome to the real world and the joys of salary!! Some people don't understand or appreciate work/life balance, but you'll find that anywhere - not just spot!

Two weeks isn't a lot of time to be ready to cash in your chips - $58k and not happy is better than $0 and happy (IMO) and, depending on where you're from, good jobs aren't easy to come by - looking for a job while you're still getting a paycheck is the way to go!

Is this going to be your permanent store? In the big picture of life, 18 months isn't that long to deal with a slave driver - if this is just your training store, "suck it up buttercup!", you're almost have way done!!!

I agree with @rocket99 - suck it up buttercup. You're complaining about 12 hour days -it's a blessing it's not 15 hrs. Welcome to working longer than needed or having no resources to complete the tasks passed down from corporate.

If you're just at your training store then hang in there - your home store could be a lot better. Take note of the STL life. That is your future because you most likely have to go through STL to move up.

Every store is different so once training is done you could go to a better run store - or worse.

Good luck! If you really hate it, use this time to find a job. I hope things turn around for you. ETL can be hit or miss whether it's awesome or complete hell.

I'm an external hire and I completely agree target should hire internal for ETLs is so much easier for them
Based on the previous hourly TM to ETL story from my area, I have started down the 5-7 year journey to becoming an ETL.

I completely understand the frustrations of tms whowork very hard and have lots of practical experience when a recent collge grad is hired into a position they are clearly unequipped to deal with.
However, the continual belittling of tms who chose to work very hard and pay a lot of money for higher education just makes you seem silly and childish.
College is not for everyone, and I dont think it should be thought of a a prerequisite to any job. But, I was very lucky to have parents who valued education more than anything else you csn spend money on. They worked very hard to help 4 kids go to college. My Mom worked full time and went to grad school.
I may not have acheved much of what a lot of people consider success, but I wouldnt trade my college experience for all the tea in China.
I have been quiet about this up until now, because I respect everyones opinions and experiences. I dont want to offend anyone , but really you guys.
Enuff Znuff (highly iunderrated early 90s band)

On second thought, Enuff Znuff is probably appreciated just about the right amount

Based on the previous hourly TM to ETL story from my area, I have started down the 5-7 year journey to becoming an ETL.
It is so sad but true...I know two TLs in my store who have put in 4+ years and they just recently brought in two SrTLs from outside the company. Why, why, why!!! These TLs are great and the STL even thinks so. This is why I refuse to stick it out with Target. It should not take 5 years to be promoted to ETL when you already have a degree and they are bringing in these ETLs fresh out of college who just started shaving and can't rent a car yet. Sorry for the rant but it it perplexing. This is why my store is so worried about Publix coming in the area.

I completely understand the frustrations of tms whowork very hard and have lots of practical experience when a recent collge grad is hired into a position they are clearly unequipped to deal with.
However, the continual belittling of tms who chose to work very hard and pay a lot of money for higher education just makes you seem silly and childish.

I wouldn't be so hard on them if Target required the degree to be relevant to retail or demanded some amount of retail or leadership experience prior to hiring them as an ETL. Hell, requiring them to have ANY work experience would be an improvement. I've seen several come through that hadn't worked a day in their lives prior to becoming an ETL.

To be fair, I do treat every bubbly grad that comes through with the respect their rank deserves. I am also brutally honest with them and make it clear that they are just another face in an endless revolving door. If they plan to stick around, they better learn quickly or move on.

College is not for everyone, and I dont think it should be thought of a a prerequisite to any job.

But it is a prerequisite to many jobs that at one time did not require it. Target will only fill an ETL position with someone who does not have a degree if there are not enough candidates to go around. There used to be a balance between externally hired ETLs and people promoted internally but that has almost completely vanished. Target doesn't want their company run by people who might use their experience to come up with their own ideas on how to run things more efficiently. They just want people who can get excited and tweet the latest "innovation" corporate comes up with.

It should not take 5 years to be promoted to ETL when you already have a degree and they are bringing in these ETLs fresh out of college who just started shaving and can't rent a car yet. Sorry for the rant but it it perplexing. This is why my store is so worried about Publix coming in the area.

Unfortunately, there is a much higher standard to be promoted to ETL rather than hired on as an ETL. A TL who gets a degree and tries to move up has to prove to everybody at his/her store district that they are qualified in every way. They have to show consistent bright green scores in every area under their supervision, be a shining example of brand/vibe/whatever at all times, be global, and many other things. They have to impress every ETL at their store as well as any other ETLs they have ever worked with to even be considered worthy of an interview.

An external hire just needs to have the right attitude when talking to a recruiter at the campus job fair.

I have my own view on this, that many probably won't agree with. Coming from someone who went from Seasonal>TM>TL>SrTL>ETL interviews this September, I can tell you most people don't want to promote past TL. I had a lot of co-workers tell me that the "Honeymoon" phase won't last long, I won't like it, I'll get burned out, etc all within a week of starting my TL position. I'm still here, I love my job, and I plan on continuing up the ladder. Is a TL position easy? It can be, but if its easy, you are doing it wrong. Don't ever say there is nothing to work on, don't ever call your workcenter perfect, and don't ever think your workcenter is immune to judgement and imperfections. I realistically put in 50+ hours every week, 40 of which are on the clock, the other 10 involve paperwork, planning, and goals. I manage a work-life balance, I come home to my girlfriend, cook dinner, walk the dog, go on date nights without a problem. What many complain about is they are going straight from the college life of sleeping in, going to class, and stressing over the end of semester finals. That's not how life works post-grad. A job should be challenging, and what you put into it, is what you get out of it. Yes the holidays are going to be stressful and you'll be there later/longer then you want to be. Yet, this isn't the first and only job to ask this of people. 58k is a stepping stone, if you can't handle the stress of an ETL position, then re-evaluate and choose a different career path. Otherwise stick it out, give it 100%, and you'll do great things. Your team and leadership will respect you. You don't want to be the ETL who sits at his/her desk while the pulls are piling up, the zone isn't completed, and a truck is waiting.

Well, my goal is to become an ETL-LOG... I love logistics, and will work 24/7 to become the best!!

Target doesn't want their company run by people who might use their experience to come up with their own ideas on how to run things more efficiently. They just want people who can get excited and tweet the latest "innovation" corporate comes up with.

how true? that's depressing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back