Archived ETL-EIT

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been scouring the boards here trying to learn all that I can about this specific position. I am currently in the interview process and will be completing my 4th interview tomorrow. Any insight on how the process went for anyone would be awesome. I am nervous about this process cause this could be a huge upgrade for me if I were to get this position. Is the 4th interview more of a formality so your market boss could just learn who you were before they offered you the position? How soon did they make an offer once the 4th interview was completed?

I feel like I've read all that I can about this position and what it demands in a very general sense. 50+hrs, high TM turnover, understaffed, etc. I am more than open to taking on a role like this. I currently work a m-f:9-5 as well as a part time job at a major sports retailer, I essentially work 55+hrs a week and am taking online classes to get a second bachelors in HR Mgmt/Accounting. I already work on the weekends, Ive volunteered for 12shifts for thanksgiving/BF the past two years, and I work in retail and understand the landscape in which I would potentially be working. I wouldn't be one of the ETLs that everyone seems to hate. I know what retail demands, I was a supervisor and trainer in the AF reserves for a large squadron, and the compensation for this position far exceeds what I am at now.

Any advice?

I'm in my last week of business college and I can tell you this, not all stores are the same but here's my experience. Keep in mind that this is during the fourth quarter, and I'm in a very high volume store.

First off every single ETL in my store is working five days a week just about 48-50 hours a week. It's a pretty chill job, about half of your time is spent being LOD and running operations of the store. It also depends on the ETL position that you're walking into. A GE-ETL has far different expectations than a HR-ETL or LOG-ETL. Naturally there is a learning curve but the expectation is that you will hit the ground running and pick up on new material quickly. During business college (ETL training) you will only work 47.5 hours a week, no more this is because you will be non-exempt during training so you'll have to take meal breaks. I would say overall it's a pretty easy job but it really just depends on the store you're going to. If it's a store in a rebuilding phase then it's going to be rough, but if it's an already established store then it'll be a breeze. It's all about your store's leadership and TM's buy-in to the whole processes and how YOU operate around a series of routines and best practices.

My last ETL interview was a formal behavior based questions with the market manager. We also went over my qualifications, what area I would be best suited for, and salary expectations.

I declined the offer, so I can't tell you much about the on boarding process.

The starting base pay offered for a college grad with no experience is $52K/year. Naturally it goes up from there, I believe the maximum is $69K/year.

The starting base pay offered for a college grad with no experience is $52K/year. Naturally it goes up from there, I believe the maximum is $69K/year.
It's going to vary by market.

Perhaps this should be over in the introduction category now. I accepted an offer and will begin "Business College" very soon.

I have no idea which department(s) I will be over. I am hoping for an ETL-HR position as it aligns more with what I'm currently studying but am more than happy with any. I have 2 years of retail experience with a large sports retailer and a decade of experience with the military. Once I settle into my actual store I truly hope I can turn around any morale issues that may be at more store. This forum is a fantastic encyclopedia of how others failures have affected the team members that post here. I know what its like to be on the floor, being the grunt, and biting down to get things done. A few words of appreciation from leadership can go a long way and I hope I can act on that with my team as well as think of incentives that motivate them beyond showing up for a paycheck.

The answer to my questions go like this: (personal experience)
I had my 4th interview and it was conducted just as everyone said: introductions, why I wanted to work for the company, expectations, and then the behavior based questions. All in all it lasted maybe 30 minutes. Not even an hour later the recruiter calls and asks how I thought it went and then offered me the job. Did a little jostling on the salary as I am not a newly graduated 22yr old and accepted the following day. Thank you everyone for your stories and tips

Congrats!
Now the slow season begins & a great time learn about spot.

This posting by @@Mhugh220 should answer most questions:
You are an hourly employee until the end of business college (6 weeks). As long as you clock in 50 hours you will get paid the salary offered to you. Remember to get as close to 5o as possible so you get your full paycheck. Your first 2-3 days will be in a classroom setting with other ETLs. You'll learn a few hot topics about Target - mostly HR (how to treat your TMs), some AP stuff, and most definitely about how Target is pro-team not anti-union. You'll probably learn a lot about the new initiative they are introducing at the time. I came in during the VIBE so we learned a lot about that. This will be from 9am-5pm each day, maybe less depending on the person teaching it.

On your 3rd or 4th day you will start at your training store. Here you will shadow an ETL (in your case HR) for the next 6 weeks (minus 3 days). Your training will be a combination of computer-based and hands-on training. Your schedule will mirror your trainer's schedule. So no more 9am-5pm. One day may be early morning and the next could be closing, or closing then opening. Just depends on how your store does ETL scheduling.

You'll learn a lot over the next 6 weeks. You won't learn everything but a good amount about the fundamentals of leadership and expectations at Target. There will be a few days during this training that you will be back in the classroom. Those dates will be determined later.

After the 6 weeks, if assigned to a store with a vacancy, you will start at your new store. Here you will shadow the STL and perform LOD duties. Training is set at two weeks of LOD duties but some stores extend that for new ETLs. If you don't have a vacancy then you will either stay at your training store or go to another store as an extra ETL until your position is opened.

Once you are in role, which technically begins on your first day at your assigned store, you are no longer in training and will now be salary (no more clocking in).

Mhugh220, Oct 6, 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back