Archived Etl-ge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaz

Canadian Member
Hi all. New to the Spot family and I will be joining you as a ETL-GE. I was wondering if anyone had any advice about the position or some tips for someone new coming into it.

I'll be sure to return the favor wherei can.

Thanks!

Moved your thread to Leadership because it was a little more on topic.

Thanks commiecorvus.

And thanks as well hardlines. I heard I'll also be in Soft Lines so I'll be trying to find out about that as well.

I can't tell you much from personal experience yet but what I hear is that we are climbing out of a bit of a lump with pushing to open stores so quick. This Q4 is going to be important to decide the direction of Target Canada but it seems like all in all we are starting to get a foothold.

Congrats!

As a GSTL, I would recommend getting to know EVERYONE on your front-end team. Cashiers and cart attendants, can be the most overlooked members of the team. Spend some getting to know them. It will go a long way when encouraging them to get RedCards! Be visible at the lanes!

Act as a partner with your GSTL's and GSA's and become familiar with the best practices. Also become familiar with the POS system... Nothing worse when you have a new GSA up front and they have a question about what to do on the register, and the LOD can't answer the question. For example, we had to a purchase order transaction for an organization and I had to call THREE different stores to help me out because none of the 3 ETL's in the building knew how to process it.

For example, we had to a purchase order transaction for an organization and I had to call THREE different stores to help me out because none of the 3 ETL's in the building knew how to process it.

A purchase order? Oh, man...I've had maybe one in my three years with Spot, but the GSTL knew how to do it.

Used to be there was a binder with pages of barcodes for each of the various agencies. After everything was totaled up the GSTL/GSA would scan the agency's barcode for the payment. No cards to worry about or replace.
Every year those pages were updated & had to be reprinted but they were a Godsend when we had several hurricanes come through & survivors were issued PO vouchers.

Used to be there was a binder with pages of barcodes for each of the various agencies. After everything was totaled up the GSTL/GSA would scan the agency's barcode for the payment. No cards to worry about or replace.
Every year those pages were updated & had to be reprinted but they were a Godsend when we had several hurricanes come through & survivors were issued PO vouchers.

We eventually found that out. The same organization had done business with another Target, in another city (and it was in another district).. Of course, when we were having problems, they didn't bother to tell us the other store had the information we needed.

Everyone kept thinking that I was talking a tax exemption or a "p-card" purchase. Appartenly, that was the first PO we've had in a loooong time. The binder you speak of hadn't been updated in several years!

I learned to also print them for adjoining states after the coastline got pummeled one yr & we had folks from nearby states.
Especially after the beating the Midwest just got.

Last edited:
I'm amazed at this thread! I've been a GSA at two different stores, and at both I usually have a PO at least once per week.

Granted, it's usually the same organization. Still... didn't know it was that uncommon at other stores.

This time of year you'll see a lot more from foster parents, group homes, care facilities, shelters, etc.
Make sure not to exceed the voucher total although in many states spot will deduct 5%.

Congrats!

As a GSTL, I would recommend getting to know EVERYONE on your front-end team. Cashiers and cart attendants, can be the most overlooked members of the team. Spend some getting to know them. It will go a long way when encouraging them to get RedCards! Be visible at the lanes!

Act as a partner with your GSTL's and GSA's and become familiar with the best practices. Also become familiar with the POS system... Nothing worse when you have a new GSA up front and they have a question about what to do on the register, and the LOD can't answer the question. For example, we had to a purchase order transaction for an organization and I had to call THREE different stores to help me out because none of the 3 ETL's in the building knew how to process it.

Not sure about our ETL-GE, I assume she knows the POS software fine, but I regularly have to hold the hand of the LOD when they step in to help at guest service because half of them have never worked at the service desk for more than 20 minutes at a time.

I actually find it rather annoying that one of the GSA's as well is constantly asking me questions and refers to me as the "expert" when doing so. Makes me wonder why I'm making $0.35 more than minimum wage and she's the GSA when she asks me far more questions than I ever ask her (I do't actually recall the last time I asked her to do something I couldn't have done myself if I had supervisor access).

I don't dislike her, she's very nice, I just dislike the idea of her making substantially more $ than me when I can do most aspects of her job better than she can. She's certainly more "experienced" than me dueto having worked at Walmart for almost as long as I have been alive (she worked at walmart for 20 years and is in her upper 50's I'd guess whereas I am 25), I'm just very computer savvy (I could write the POS software the store uses fairly easily and am fluent in C, C++, Ruby, Perl, Python, Java, and have dabbled ins several other languages.) and she is....not.

I'm amazed at this thread! I've been a GSA at two different stores, and at both I usually have a PO at least once per week.

Granted, it's usually the same organization. Still... didn't know it was that uncommon at other stores.

Not common here, mind I'm a cashier, not a GSA, but in the seven months I've worked at Target I've done exactly one purchase order, and the GSTL wasn't exactly sure how to do it, but did his best to help, and it wound up working fairly well. The only hitch that he didn't know of immediately was when using a PO it must pay for ALL of the purchase. You can't use a $300 PO to pay for $300 of a $350 purchase, it's an all or nothing thing, that extra $50 has to be a separate transaction if they plan to pay out of pocket for it.

Last edited:
I had a lot of PO's when i was GSA. Surprised no one knows how they work lol. You can print the bar codes right off workbench iirc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back