Archived ETL Offer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also we weren't allowed to eat lunch/dinner during LOD shifts. I don't think this will be the case in a low volume store but it does happen at Target.

Err, that sounds like something you'd have virtually no chance of losing if you decided to sue over. It's simply not something an employer has any legal right to decide.

Our LOD's keep their walkie on during their meal incase something important comes up, but they certainly take lunches (and very rarely are they interrupted. they just keep their walkies on just to be safe).

I work in a 730 flow, ULV store. As a SrTL - Repl, I can give you some insight in what you can expect.

First, the entire tone of your store depends on your STL. There are two types. The first is the "drink-the-kool-aid" super bubbly, rarely genuine, take-everything-target-says-as-gospel type. If you get this type of STL, generally they are one assignment STL's, have no understanding of any of the processes in the store, and as a result make uninformed decisions. Usually they are not willing to see outside opinions, and will force you to adhere to best practice, even when it clearly is not the right choice for your store.

Second, you have a tenured STL who may not have perfect metrics, but understands process and understands how to move payroll around depending on the needs of the business. This type of STL generally doesn't make golden contribution, but has their ear close to the ground and really understands the heartbeat of the team. These types of STL's are more enjoyable to work for, and over time, have far greater success.

STL option 2 will give you greater work life balance in a ULV store, here's why.

You will have a limited number of key carriers. 6 at the most, unless your APTL is a key carrier, but that's rare. When they tell you ETL-HL, more than likely you will be ETL-GESF. You will have the entire front of the store, all of the sales floor, and the grocery section under you. You are alloted one team lead for the sales floor, and one team lead for the front.

If you get logistics, you will have Flow, Backroom, Instocks, Pricing, Presentation, and Recv/Rev Log. You are alloted two team leads for this, one for Price/Pres, one for the rest.

Both jobs are very hands on, especially logistics. Expect to be on the floor with your team slinging freight, setting salesplanners, zoning, doing reshop. If you do not, you will not be complete. There simply are not enough payroll hours to get all of the work done anymore.

If you want my honest opinion, you should stay away from an ETL slot. The only reason I am still with Spot, is after a decade I make very good money as a Sr-TL, and because spot is never willing to offer overtime anymore, I rarely pull more than 40 hours a week. Target as a company has become a shell of what it used to be. Recruiters talk a big game, but go spend some time in stores and ask some team members how they feel. Morale is down, payroll is maybe 60% of what it used to be 5 years ago, and more importantly the quality, and expectation of leadership has changed drastically.

Target used to be a place where you could mentor and develop an individual into a real leader. I mean taking months, side by side, explaining why's and how's, merchandising skills, leadership. How to identify strengths in individuals, how to build opportunities. Now Target is looking for bosses. People who can sit in an office, read metrics, and issue write ups until an employee improves out of fear, quits, or gets fired. Development at Target now is simply telling someone "here's some responsibility, go do it." It's all over these forums, just do a search for "development."

TLDR; It's not worth it. If you have good work life balance, your process will probably suffer because you aren't there to carry it. If you carry your process, you have terrible work/life balance. It's lose lose. Find a different opportunity.

I'm going to step out of the conversation. Everyone seems very hell bent that Target sucks.

I've seen the good and the bad, but honestly, I'm happy with my role as an ETL. I'm paid a very fair rate for what I'm asked to do. I'm in a broken process ULV, but can work an 8 hr day if I need to leave for an appointment. I can flip weekends of I need to. I can spend time with my family and still run a store.

My STL is great. My peers are great. I think that you guys are selling the bad and not the possibilities. None of us know the district @RetailMgmt is in. None of us know the buildings make up. We shouldn't try and scare him.

@RetailMgmt best of luck!

Knew it was B or A, wasn't sure which, since the brackets change year to year. That's a bit more business than our store I think, we did ~35 mill last year, not sure if we will do more or less this year. We became Pfresh in June of last year, so in theory should have done more sales this year, but with the credit breach scaring people from shopping early in the year that might not actually be the case.

The ETLs at my store have a good work/life balance. They trade with each other for special events, rarely work more than 8 or 9 hours a day, always take lunches albeit with walkie on. They work one weekend a month and they close one night a week. We have a great STL which probably helps.

It bears repeating, "Every store is different."

I'm going to step out of the conversation. Everyone seems very hell bent that Target sucks.

I've seen the good and the bad, but honestly, I'm happy with my role as an ETL. I'm paid a very fair rate for what I'm asked to do. I'm in a broken process ULV, but can work an 8 hr day if I need to leave for an appointment. I can flip weekends of I need to. I can spend time with my family and still run a store.

My STL is great. My peers are great. I think that you guys are selling the bad and not the possibilities. None of us know the district @RetailMgmt is in. None of us know the buildings make up. We shouldn't try and scare him.

@RetailMgmt - Take the above into consideration. There are better stores and experiences within Target. @Goingstrong is an example of a good, maybe even a great experience. There's good and bad in some jobs, not all jobs have bad, but some do. I've never seen an ULV store process first hand but I can assume that it's not as stressful as an $80-$100million+ store.

The ETLs at my store have a good work/life balance. They trade with each other for special events, rarely work more than 8 or 9 hours a day, always take lunches albeit with walkie on. They work one weekend a month and they close one night a week. We have a great STL which probably helps.

It bears repeating, "Every store is different."
That's a completely different experience than the Targets in this area. Your experience seems like a good opportunity. One weekend a month blows my mind.

@RetailMgmt - Take the above into consideration. There are better stores and experiences within Target. @Goingstrong is an example of a good, maybe even a great experience. There's good and bad in some jobs, not all jobs have bad, but some do. I've never seen an ULV store process first hand but I can assume that it's not as stressful as an $80-$100million+ store.

Every LOD who has stepped into our store from a higher volume store says it is much more stressful (and we are a fully green top of the group store) simply because of the lack of people to do the job that needs to get done.

That said, they all work together when it comes to schedules and time off. But they all spend most of their time on the ground running...especially if they are LOD for the shift.

But they all spend most of their time on the ground running...especially if they are LOD for the shift.

This is true of all the ETLs and most of the TLs and some of the TMs in my store. We're a lower volume store and I've spoken with TLs from an ultra high volume store. Seems like the stress level is about the same. There are never enough hours or enough people to get the job done, no matter what level your store is.

I've done both 100+ and ULV. ULV BY FAR is much more stressful. The payroll limitation you have is staggering.

I was thinking about this the other day. Since I started Target in college I worked weekends and did enjoy my two days off during the week (After a while I had Thursdays and Sundays off constantly). I've been off weekends for a year and a half and I definitely like it more. I'm more in sync with my friends and family, can go away for the weekend, more leisurely events happen during the weekends, etc. Of course having a day off in the middle of the week is great if you have to run errands, but I would never go back to working weekends.

@RetailMgmt - what was the verdict??
Timing is just off for me to make the move. Had some big changes at my current company where I have more responsibilities. I'm not in a position to leave without screwing over the business. I've had great communication with the target recruiter out of Minnesota who's told me to call them directly when timing is better and they'll re-issue an offer. The DTL really wants me to join the team but I'm almost 100% sure I can't until at least January. The recruiter and DTL have both said they're fine having patience and allowing me to start Jan or Feb but I'd have to accept the offer before end of Oct. I don't want to accept something unless I'm for sure able to start then.

Medical is very good. You must have a great plan that you won't find most places. But targets changes every year.. Each year costs increase, coverage changes, usually not for the better.
The 401k is ok, but that can change too. Most big companies change it regularly. But if you go to a different job, you can take it with you. It's on the same lines as most plans.

Don't make those two reasons make up your mind...they are the fringes.. Not the job.

Last edited:
this is kind of late but I think 40 may be top end of B.. isn't B 32m-xx? I know D is xx-23m then C is 23-32...

The first is the "drink-the-kool-aid" super bubbly, rarely genuine, take-everything-target-says-as-gospel type. If you get this type of STL, generally they are one assignment STL's, have no understanding of any of the processes in the store, and as a result make uninformed decisions. Usually they are not willing to see outside opinions, and will force you to adhere to best practice, even when it clearly is not the right choice for your store.

Wow! That describes my STL to a T. Scary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back