Archived ETL Offer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it normal for Target to allow me to accept/decline a position on my time frame instead of within say 48 hours? Also, they're allowing me to pick my start date pretty much anytime I'd like. They said I could accept now and start in February, whatever works best for me. Just curious if that is the norm or something not usually done.

I would say it's normal. They give college interns a whole year to decide if they want to be ETLs. I was given a long time to decide as well as a choice of when to start. They can never have enough ETLs on the bench with how quickly they turnover.

For what its worth, I am also formally an ETL-Log. I was promised that if I did well I could be an STL in 18 months. I had 6 years of retail management experience when I was hired externally. They placed me in a high-volume 4am process that was broken. I brought the store from a place that was very red and rolling freight over multiple days to a store that I would say was green and came clean most days. Well unfortunately during all the long hours and hard work I put into improving the store, my STL left Target as did my DTL. When their replacements came, I had to start over building the relationships with the leadership. I was putting in 60 hours weeks and barely seeing my kids. And when I went to STL interviews, the feedback they gave me was that I was too rough around the edges and I wasn't doing enough to help the district improve in logistics by. Honestly I missed my family and hated missing out on my kids growing up. I left shortly after that. Just know what your getting into before your commit.

If you only worked at Target years ago... and as far as retail goes, you worked at Best Buy and Sprint... hahaha, chances are strong that you aren't going to make it unless you're gifted a green process in which the team leader(s) deserves to have the job you're walking into.

What's so funny? My current position isn't retail but involves most things a target ETL would do. I worked Target and Best Buy a long time ago during high school. Sprint was all during college as a sales manager. So again, I'm curious why you think that's funny to you.

If you only worked at Target years ago... and as far as retail goes, you worked at Best Buy and Sprint... hahaha, chances are strong that you aren't going to make it unless you're gifted a green process in which the team leader(s) deserves to have the job you're walking into.

What's so funny? My current position isn't retail but involves most things a target ETL would do. I worked Target and Best Buy a long time ago during high school. Sprint was all during college as a sales manager. So again, I'm curious why you think that's funny to you.

You may not have Target experience but I wouldn't count you out. I think you'll do fine. But to defend @Anonymous a bit, Target management is an entirely different beast compared to Sprint or Best Buy. I worked at Target as a TM when I was 18 and came back after the military as an ETL Log with no retail management experience. I was down 2 TLs when I first started and built a great, consistently green process. Solid green in all logistic metrics. I've seen ETLs with years of retail experience from other companies fail at Target. Target does things their own way and outside influence or background in business doesn't always fit well with Target culture. So @RetailMgmt has an equal chance at being successful. Learn Target's approach to business and you'll excel.

Last edited:
I have to agree about how different Spot is when it comes down to retail.
I've worked retail in different forms for many years and Spot kinda blew my mind.

I've never seen the weird kind priorities this company has set or they way they put people who have so little life experience in charge.
They are much more interested in image than they are in the people.
Running a company based completely on the metrics rather than on what the metrics are supposed to be producing.

Forget life work balance, and if you question the concept you will be slapped down for it.

I've worked retail in different forms for many years and Spot kinda blew my mind.

I've never seen the weird kind priorities this company has set or they way they put people who have so little life experience in charge.
Running a company based completely on the metrics rather than on what the metrics are supposed to be producing.

Forget life work balance, and if you question the concept you will be slapped down for it.

THIS.

I came from Kmart.. Went through the manager training program there too. Everything was different.

Kmart talked about store management empowerment, managing profit/loss, margins, "thinking like a merchant" to make the store better. They didn't have as many metrics... Because the thinking was "if your store is successful, it will show in the sales and customer service scores."

I admired the technology and some of the processes that Target has... But managing at Target isn't about P&L or knowing your margin or "thinking like a merchant." It was about pointless statuses, creating stupid action plans based on metrics that are a week old, memorizing things to say in case the DTL walked in, and those false "relationships" to make yourself seem like a "leader in the building."

THIS.

I came from Kmart.. Went through the manager training program there too. Everything was different.

Kmart talked about store management empowerment, managing profit/loss, margins, "thinking like a merchant" to make the store better. They didn't have as many metrics... Because the thinking was "if your store is successful, it will show in the sales and customer service scores."

I admired the technology and some of the processes that Target has... But managing at Target isn't about P&L or knowing your margin or "thinking like a merchant." It was about pointless statuses, creating stupid action plans based on metrics that are a week old, memorizing things to say in case the DTL walked in, and those false "relationships" to make yourself seem like a "leader in the building."

@RetailMgmt this isn't true. I can say that Target is driving ETLs to be " business owners" to dive into making sales and driving a great culture.

Ideas like the ones above, are from an older model and not one I've dealt with in years.

THIS.

@RetailMgmt this isn't true. I can say that Target is driving ETLs to be " business owners" to dive into making sales and driving a great culture.

Ideas like the ones above, are from an older model and not one I've dealt with in years.

Hmmm suspicious.. because my best friend is a etl and this is exactly to this day still happening.

Target is driving ETLs to be business owners but they must remain within the predefined boundaries set by corporate, aka Best Practices. Take myTime for example. This software takes out strategic payroll planning and sets parameters from corporate guidelines. Why do I have more people on a non truck night than I do on a truck night? How is a 2 level, AA store only getting 30 more hours of payroll than a C store in the same district? My logistics team is taking 7+ trucks while that store gets 3 and we have the same hours allocated?

Every decision is made by corporate and ETLs are there to ensure everyone follows. Step outside the box and be prepared to explain. Being a business owner at Target means eat the shit corporate feeds you with a smile and ask for seconds.

Update:

Spoke to the recruiter and DTL today. If I accept the offer I'll be an extra ETL through the holidays. I'll be placed at a store near my home. After the holidays, I'll be placed at my own store in my own role. DTL wants me to be logistics or sales floor from what she said today. Looks like I've got a big decision to make now. Got as many answered as they can give at the moment.

If I take the offer, I'm giving up Monday-Friday 7a-4p. I'm giving up a 30-60 second drive to work. I'm giving up flexibility to come and go from work as long as my work is complete. However, I have no stability or long term benefits. With Target Id have both.

In your experience, if I decline the offer would they be open to me re-applying later next year or in 2016 or is this a one and done type of situation?

Around me, if you decline they won't entertain your application again for a while. Spot is one dog that doesn't beg.

If you current job isn't stable, is say take a chance at Target, go through the fourth quarter and see what you think. If you don't like it after that, move on.

Good luck!

Update:

Spoke to the recruiter and DTL today. If I accept the offer I'll be an extra ETL through the holidays. I'll be placed at a store near my home. After the holidays, I'll be placed at my own store in my own role. DTL wants me to be logistics or sales floor from what she said today. Looks like I've got a big decision to make now. Got as many answered as they can give at the moment.

If I take the offer, I'm giving up Monday-Friday 7a-4p. I'm giving up a 30-60 second drive to work. I'm giving up flexibility to come and go from work as long as my work is complete. However, I have no stability or long term benefits. With Target Id have both.

In your experience, if I decline the offer would they be open to me re-applying later next year or in 2016 or is this a one and done type of situation?

ETL here. If I could do it again, I'd have held off for something better. You'll miss your family on all those closes and weekend shifts you'll be doing. My Dad always said you need to be able to see your kid get on the school bus or get off. There won't be many days you'll be able to say you did either.

I could mention a ton of things that are wrong with the position, or cite some of my experiences, but it's ultimately a decision you'll need to make. One thing I will say is don't think for a second you'll be an STL in 18 months. I've seen several external 13's come in. None of them are STL's now. You'll be on the fast track, but you can get derailed in many ways. One bad visit, challenging your boss, losing a TL to turnover. Only take the position if you would be happy being an ETL for the foreseeable future.

Good luck!

Update:

At Target I missed my son's first birthday party, several family picnics/bbqs, Christmas eve traditions, Christmas day, 4th of July, New Years Eve, Super Bowl, I barely saw my son, and missed several dinners with my family.

You'll find out how important nights and weekends off are when you're stuck at work and your family is having a get together. Or your kid has a soccer/baseball game and you won't be able to see it, or any of them.

I'd take a deployment over working at Target again every time.

@Mhugh220 that might just have made my decision. I have a daughter little over 1 and another on the way. Yeah they won't be involved in stuff for some time but still I will miss events and little things that they do.

@Mhugh220 that might just have made my decision. I have a daughter little over 1 and another on the way. Yeah they won't be involved in stuff for some time but still I will miss events and little things that they do.
@RetailMgmt if you had the ability, I would try to do both jobs. You're in a unique situation so you might be able to make it work or take a short LOA from your current job or work half time there. If you had the opportunity to see what ETL is about you might be able to make a better decision. 4th quarter is coming up which is the busiest time of year for retail. You'll see what working weekends and holidays is about. It won't be full fledged ETL since you'll be training but it's a chance to decide if Target is the right choice.

But overall, hat's off to anyone that has a family and works those hours. We couldn't survive on that life for long.

@RetailMgmt if you had the ability, I would try to do both jobs. You're in a unique situation so you might be able to make it work or take a short LOA from your current job or work half time there. If you had the opportunity to see what ETL is about you might be able to make a better decision. 4th quarter is coming up which is the busiest time of year for retail. You'll see what working weekends and holidays is about. It won't be full fledged ETL since you'll be training but it's a chance to decide if Target is the right choice.

But overall, hat's off to anyone that has a family and works those hours. We couldn't survive on that life for long.

@Mhugh220 I wouldn't be able to do both. I have to be at my current job Mon-Fri at 7am and I'm usually here until 4:30p or 5:00p. Really if I think about the work I'd be doing, I'll probably enjoy Target more. Work/Life balance is my greatest concern at the moment. With what you said about missing all those things it really makes me think about that stuff. I've been told my schedule and it doesn't seem all that bad but again I won't see the true effect until I've started. I've never had a difficult decision like this before. I've always just applied to where I wanted to be and took the job if offered. I've applied to something else only when I don't want to be there any longer. This is different this time and I'm seriously torn.

@RetailMgmt I would consider the options. 1) Your current position goes under and you're unemployed. 2) You accept Target and love it. 3) You accept Target, hate it, but your business would have survived, maybe flourished. 4) You accept Target, hate it, old business goes under, but you at least have a job with a stable company.

I think it depends on how confident you are with your current employment. Worst case with Target: you hate it and tough it out until better employment comes along.

@RetailMgmt I would consider the options. 1) Your current position goes under and you're unemployed. 2) You accept Target and love it. 3) You accept Target, hate it, but your business would have survived, maybe flourished. 4) You accept Target, hate it, old business goes under, but you at least have a job with a stable company.

I think it depends on how confident you are with your current employment. Worst case with Target: you hate it and tough it out until better employment comes along.
@Mhugh220 three of those options favor more towards target and only one towards my current employer. Seems like a clear decision but still worried about the work/life balance. I do know I'll be log or sales floor ETL. No stores in my area are overnight stores for log so I don't have to worry about that. I need to decide ASAP. Target has given me everything I ask. Even matched my current pay which was shocking to me with how much I make and how much it's outside the scale for ETL's in my area according to one I know working there already. Appreciate all your feedback on everything.

@RetailMgmt you truly control the work life balance. I can say I've never missed out on something that I've wanted. Now, yes it is retail, so wanting to have Thanksgiving, or Christmas Eve off, probably won't happen.

But for me, we've created traditions on other days. We do Christmas with the extended family on the 29th.

You have to know what you're getting going in with retail.

I've never regretted taking my ETL spot.

@Goingstrong I disagree work/life balance is always controllable. For instance, my son's 1st birthday party was planned in advance. Put in my time off request. When it got down to the time my coverage fell through and I had to work. I had 2 choices: call in sick for 2 days, go to work, or quit. My store was also a project 1 store and a safety store, making most days over 10 hours of working. Or if I did get off I had to make up for it by working extra before or after the time off.
Compared to a regular job, with nights weekends, and holidays off, Target does not have a good work/life balance - which @RetailMgmt currently has.

I say unknown because his district seems to have lower volume stores unlike my area which is mostly all high volume. Our one low volume store in the area is completely different than the rest.

One time a new ETL came from a low volume store and 15 mins within the shift we found him eating breakfast at our Starbucks, boy did our STL yell at him. Another example, my good friend and fellow ETL-HL was LOD when his pregnant wife blackedout during a walk and woke up in the hospital. Our STL made him feel that his LOD shift was more important than going to the hospital. There were other ETLs in the store. Also we weren't allowed to eat lunch/dinner during LOD shifts. I don't think this will be the case in a low volume store but it does happen at Target.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back