Archived ETL Operations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

I am looking into joining Target as a ETL and I applied under the ETL Ops. position. I have a couple questions about the position and the interview process.

First as far as responsibilities, what does this position oversee? The description is somewhat vague but says I would manage price change, back office functions and logistics functions.

Are there ETL - Operations in every location or does this have to due with volume? In terms of rank how would you say the ops ranks in order of seniority, does that even exist?

As for the interview process, what can I expect from potential interviews? How many? Typically are ETL's hired from outside as a etl or does Target strictly get ETL's from interns who are recent grads?

I previously worked for Target a while back but have been out of the Target scene for years. I'm now interested in getting back in but as a etl since last time around I was still going to school to obtain a BS in business management. At some point I would like to get into HR work, so would persisting this role be a good way to get a foot in the door or should I just apply for a ETL HR position if I can find one? I have years of retail management experience and with the education since that's what target is big on, would that get me in HR? I recall the last ETL-HR I had in the location I world at as a recent college grad, the first one I worked with I assume had previous experience in another retailer.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome! Some answers..
Seniority does not matter unless you have been there for years.
Etl-ops is mostly at bigger stores. We used to have one & spot took the job away. I am a 50 million store. Applying for that job, you may not get it. Because spot goes by business needs & it could change.
A forum favorite:
Before you sign your life away...

As HLM said, ETL OPS is a position mostly used at larger stores that have a dedicated ETL-REPL who is in charge of Flow, unload, overnight backroom, etc. while ETL-OPS oversees dayside logistics processes. So as an ETL-OPS, you will be responsible for dayside Backroom, Instocks, SFS/ESFS, Pricing, and I believe Receiving/Reverse Logistics would fit the bill too. As for what your responsibilities are on non-LOD shifts I can't quite say as I am not an ETL-OPS, this is just what I know from observing mine. My store is A+/AA (around ~$62 million in sales if I remember correctly) so we're definitely a higher volume store.

When the org charts changed per AE14, we lost the ETL-Replenishment position but gained ETL-Operations (org chart 5). My ETL-Ops oversees instocks, pricing, plano, and dayside backroom and ensures that their processes are producing green scores.

My ETL-Operations has no idea what she's doing. I don't know how she even got moved into that role.

ETL-Operations exist in stores that have O/N Logistics processes, essentially providing help to the ETL-LOG since they are Overnight and they have dayside processes that they will never see. They handle Receiving, Instocks, Pricing, Plano, PMT and any other random areas the LOG would normally cover. They also have the normal LOD shifts.

In terms of placement, I wouldn't expect any certain ETL spot ever. They will put you where they need you, and that placement can change at any time. Plano on about 2 years per role but it could be more, could be less. You may get into HR or you may not, it just depends.

ETL-Operations exist in stores that have O/N Logistics processes, essentially providing help to the ETL-LOG since they are Overnight and they have dayside processes that they will never see. They handle Receiving, Instocks, Pricing, Plano, PMT and any other random areas the LOG would normally cover. They also have the normal LOD shifts.

In terms of placement, I wouldn't expect any certain ETL spot ever. They will put you where they need you, and that placement can change at any time. Plano on about 2 years per role but it could be more, could be less. You may get into HR or you may not, it just depends.
I didn't know ETL-Operations included PMT. Our PMT still reports to our ETL-Logistics even though she's O/N.

As others have said OPS are found in larger volume stores org chart 5 and up. You are in charge of backroom day,price accuracy,Instocks,signing and receiving maybe the PMT depending on STL approval. ASANTS but in mine our OPS only closes 2 times the entire month. Compared to others ETLs who close much more. Not to be a downer but ETL OPS is considered to be second assignment meaning the likely hood of getting it with out previous managment experience is very hard.

Last edited:
Not to be a downer but ETL OPS is considered to be second assignment meaning the likely hood of getting it with out previous managment experience is very hard.

This. It takes time to understand the processes that fall under the Ops umbrella, moreso than the front end, sales floor, etc. Same with logistics.

Hey @Coolnite7, can you help us here, please?
I'm an ETL-Log however my current responsibilities as a leader is to look over Receiving, Instocks, Pricing, Plano, PMT, Price-chanage, and Flow/Backroom team members. I'm going to be honest with you guys it's not an easy role. You work hand and hand with your team (EVERYONE) because you must understand their job before they respect you. So yeah as you can see it's a lot you have to do and understand.

That being said once/if you have great training (which I did) you'll be just fine. Make sure if you get hired that you really work with the team and as many have said don't focus on the things that need to be changed ASAP but try and work better practices into the things TM's are currently doing. ETL-Log/Ops in my mind is the heart beat of the store!

Hello all,

I am looking into joining Target as a ETL and I applied under the ETL Ops. position. I have a couple questions about the position and the interview process.

First as far as responsibilities, what does this position oversee? The description is somewhat vague but says I would manage price change, back office functions and logistics functions.

Are there ETL - Operations in every location or does this have to due with volume? In terms of rank how would you say the ops ranks in order of seniority, does that even exist?

As for the interview process, what can I expect from potential interviews? How many? Typically are ETL's hired from outside as a etl or does Target strictly get ETL's from interns who are recent grads?

I previously worked for Target a while back but have been out of the Target scene for years. I'm now interested in getting back in but as a etl since last time around I was still going to school to obtain a BS in business management. At some point I would like to get into HR work, so would persisting this role be a good way to get a foot in the door or should I just apply for a ETL HR position if I can find one? I have years of retail management experience and with the education since that's what target is big on, would that get me in HR? I recall the last ETL-HR I had in the location I world at as a recent college grad, the first one I worked with I assume had previous experience in another retailer.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.
The answer to your question(s) are pretty simple. During your interview be honest and yourself. They will ask you 4-5 situational questions (total of 3 rounds I believe) just to see what type of leader you are. Remember to paint them a picture because what they are looking for in each question that you answer is to be outlined in the following way:

Situation - how does your answer relate to the question
Example: tell me about a time you had to make a tough decison
You - During college ect..... <--- you are painting them a picture so tehy can visually see your answer.
Task - what did you have to accomplish/what what was the issue or problem
Action - how did you solve this issue/what steps were taken.
Result - what was the final outcome.

Overall be upbeat. During the interview don't EVER put yourself down. Even with the famous questions "what is one think your previous supervisor would change or say that you need to work on." Turn the question about to something like: "One thing my past supervisor would stay that I can improve is sometimes I tend want to help out too much. If I see someone struggling I always try and offer assistance." Remember to turn a weakness into a strength (sorry I just got off work so if a lot does not make sense please don't blame me lol).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back