Archived Ex ETL AMA (ask me anything)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, you can tell which domes have cameras muahahahaha. I've never understood the whole theft thing. In my opinion, I don't get paid enough to "babysit" people that includes any human that walks into the store. If a crime or incident/accident happens, then yeah I will alert the proper people to take care of it but I'm not gonna bend over backwards to babysit people. Just not my style.
I have never spoken to any of the plain clothes AP people. I know what some of them look like and I can pick them out because of their body language and demeanor. They aren't very good at my store when it comes to blending in. And, I usually just assume that anyone can be AP so yep. Besides, if I was ever to steal something, it definitely would not be from Target. Seriously, if you are going to risk a prison sentence and the likelihood of ruining your life, shouldn't the reward be worth it?

<<< ex HR TM

When there was a TM who management wanted to get rid of they wouldn't limit their hours. The goal is to coach them out the door. So they were scheduled and then coached until termination was the end result.
My store is in a nice upper middle class neighborhood. We had moms applying all of the time who only wanted to work Mon 9-230, Thu 10-3. etc, etc. But on the flip side we had college and high school kids who could only work the weekends or from 4-930, 5-1030. We got so few quality applications (you can tell after a while what's going to come in the door) that we had to hire anyone who passed the interviews and make like a puzzle and put the pieces together with whatever anyone could work. Most people were satisfied.
Right now TMs are watching the swap shift board like a hawk trying to pick up hours.

BTW, I have an etl that I swear does nothing but play on her phone, play on the computer, and talk about their personal life and it's SOOOO annoying!

Also, the things I have heard management say about other TMs is appalling. I would pretend I didn't hear but they talk so loud that it's hard to miss. Also, I guess they are unaware when on the floor that you can hear them from the next aisle. Bunch of a-holes.

Unless you're getting a pension or your spouse makes good money, I don't know how Target TMs pay their bills on Target $$$. HR would get mad when TMs got a 2nd job and then narrow down their availability. I was like YOU may make a ton of $$$ but he/she doesn't and had to find more income. The arrogance and lack of understanding from ETLs/STLs was shocking. I had one STL who would brag on expensive baby items she was going to buy all the time. Someone had to tell her You know, you're saying this in front of TMs who make 7.50 an hour? Dumbass.

My question is who do you turn to when there is a problem within the store and there are obvious favorites. There are two TL who are without a doubt the favorites within the store and two who are not. The ETLs are all friends (both at work and outside work) with the two TL. There is no one that the team/TLs can go to because everyone backs the favorites. We all know that if you call the integrity hotline it gets back to the store and then we are treated unfairly. We really just need a new round of ETLs to fix the issues.

<<< ex HR TM

When there was a TM who management wanted to get rid of they wouldn't limit their hours. The goal is to coach them out the door. So they were scheduled and then coached until termination was the end result.
My store is in a nice upper middle class neighborhood. We had moms applying all of the time who only wanted to work Mon 9-230, Thu 10-3. etc, etc. But on the flip side we had college and high school kids who could only work the weekends or from 4-930, 5-1030. We got so few quality applications (you can tell after a while what's going to come in the door) that we had to hire anyone who passed the interviews and make like a puzzle and put the pieces together with whatever anyone could work. Most people were satisfied.
Right now TMs are watching the swap shift board like a hawk trying to pick up hours.

BTW, I have an etl that I swear does nothing but play on her phone, play on the computer, and talk about their personal life and it's SOOOO annoying!

Also, the things I have heard management say about other TMs is appalling. I would pretend I didn't hear but they talk so loud that it's hard to miss. Also, I guess they are unaware when on the floor that you can hear them from the next aisle. Bunch of a-holes.

Unless you're getting a pension or your spouse makes good money, I don't know how Target TMs pay their bills on Target $$$. HR would get mad when TMs got a 2nd job and then narrow down their availability. I was like YOU may make a ton of $$$ but he/she doesn't and had to find more income. The arrogance and lack of understanding from ETLs/STLs was shocking. I had one STL who would brag on expensive baby items she was going to buy all the time. Someone had to tell her You know, you're saying this in front of TMs who make 7.50 an hour? Dumbass.

What constitutes a "quality application" when you're trying to fill entry level positions? I always just assumed everyone who wasnt a felon just was thrown into a pile and they randomly interviewed 3 from said pile.

Non quality apps:
people who "job hop"... who aren't at their jobs for very long. My managers refused them. People who couldn't spell. I mean how do you not even spell your street correctly?
People who only wanted to work 15 hrs a week, especially in Food and Starbucks. These areas require SO MUCH training that by the time they are trained it's like months later.
Like I said my store is in a upper middle class area. We would interview people and when they found out the pay (7.50 for cashiers/sales floor) the interviewee declined the job. It got to take up so much time that we started telling people over the phone how much it would pay and see who still wanted to come in for the interview.

I remember using those criteria to weed out applications when I worked in a grocery store and my manager was looking for people to interview. Just using those criteria, 50 to 75% of the applications never made it to the "let's consider interiewing them" pile.

I have a life outside of work. If I need to do split shifts to get hours, that's the same as telling me there are no hours available.

It's not the same at all. At any job you work, they have a business to run and set hours to work around. Do you think if you had availibilty from 5p-10p an office would hire you? It's the same case here. Target has a business to run at the end of the day. Plain and simple. There doesn't need to be 40 people there at 8a. There doesn't need to be 40 people at 8p. There does need to be 40 people at 2p.
You think its not hard on managers and STLs to get the most out of a staff that is probably 50% disgruntled throughout all stores? I would surely like to see you try? I mean are you the same person that mocks fast fun and friendly events but never recommends one or participates in huddles?
Do I think everything in Target is great? Fuck no. There are endless flaws, but at the end of the day any business, retail, office, fast food, restaurant, have certain hours and budgets to make. If that means having a workforce only part timers, that 's what it is and what people are going to

You saying you have a life outside of work. Well I am sure 99% of everyone else does too. Do you think ETL's enjoy closing and leaving at 1a and being back in at 5a? Working every other weekend, sometimes a month straight. Coming in on days off to get caught up? No, but they do because its a job. Jobs are not a god given right.

Like I told my team I will always respect you and treat you all fair, but I demand the same respect back. If not, theres the door. I am sure McDonald's across the street is hiring. Go there and come back and tell me how much better it is
LOL

I quit shortly after I made that post. I'm glad I did.

Cry me a river about those poor ETLs.

Target prides itself on paying lipservice to the "Life Work Balance" phrase. The truth is that it's all BS...

here is a good one for you... I am now out of college I majored in Communication studies. Is it possible for me to do an internship now or has that boat left when I graduated?
Thanks in advance.

…Only person that shouldn't be on the floor 24/7 is HR and even then they should because they should interact and talk with the team.
They are most likely gossipping shooting the shit

I don't even know who our ETL-HR is I mean I "know" we have one but… wait it's female. yep that's all I know. Something tells me this is not a good thing

Last edited:
here is a good one for you... I am now out of college I majored in Communication studies. Is it possible for me to do an internship now or has that boat left when I graduated?
Thanks in advance.

The internship is something you do as an undergrad. If you already have a degree, you can actually just apply for an ETL position. Or look into something at HQ.

Thanks in advance.

You can do better than Target..

Maybe. Maybe not. Source: have same BA, work at Target.

Also, comm is one of the degrees with the worst return on investment. An ETL at target typically makes more than the average new comm grad. Probably above average for some not so recent grads as well.

Little history. Was an ETL for over 5 years starting as an intern then straight out of college. Currently work for another employer in the retail industry.

Started as ETL-AP, ETL-Overnight Logistics, ETL-HR, ETL- Logistics. Went thru 11's (when you still had to interview), 13's and STL round robins.

AMA about Target, my experience and how a signed off STL wasn't allowed to transfer when asking for one for personal reasons.

Go.

Also, will be 100% honest

Honestly, you sound like an x-ETL from my store; she was great by the way. My store sucks. All my current ETL's are all office managers; even when they're LOD's. I've been a Sr. Team Lead for 1 year and I perform as an ETL. I am just realizing TGT is an illusion. TGT doesn't care about team members/ team leaders or even the GOOD ETL's. They only want submissive employees; to accept everything and too challenge nothing! This is why the hard working ETL's, Team Leaders, and team members do not last in TGT.

I basically work as an LOD for 4 days a week and have 1 day to make my dept green. I've had a jet visit and made my store look AMAZING. And for some reason the ETLs and the STL in my store believe that I am not ready for an ETL position. I'm really starting to hate my job. I feel like everyday I challenge my team to do better, always go above and beyond for my team and guests, have a current 88% dept, and take on challenging tasks and I achieve them all. No one acknowledges me or recognizes me. I don't get invited to ETL lunches anymore (where they all gossip) because of my challenging upwards.

I'm done bathing and grooming spot! (Sorry for my rant)

I' am going to start a Union in my store just to piss of all upper management!

on Sunday for the first time management let me watch the front lanes as the GSTL was temporarily off the floor. they also know I am interested in moving up in Target. Could this have been a test to see if I could handle the pressure?
Thanks in advance.

on Sunday for the first time management let me watch the front lanes as the GSTL was temporarily off the floor. they also know I am interested in moving up in Target. Could this have been a test to see if I could handle the pressure?
Thanks in advance.

No, it means they want someone to do the GSTL's work at a team member's pay.

I am a self motivated high energetic Hardlines TM, No DTL STL ETL TL will ever hear me complain. I pride myself in having great work ethic, cause the once high work standards have dropped just like education in this country. My drive to excel in all areas has gained me automatically 40 hours a week, and in training for TL. I have never minded special projects and all of managment knows they count on me for anything. Most of my TMs respect me, they might be confused to the reasons why I work so hard at times, but I'd will never betray any of them. The problem has now developped to me being the only one responding to all calls, call buttons, back up, covering electronics meal/breaks on top of my daily routine and special projects. I'm the only one called frequnetly over the walkie to help a guest or givin a quick task. The problem was no one had a walkie so I grabbed all available walkies from the cabinet and gave one to all sales floor team memebers. I had been responding all night to everything and needed to finish the zone, so after doing so I let my LOD know who had a walkie (to this day still get TMs walkies). He then continues to call just me for back up etc, I express concerns to another ETL who responds by wanting me to throw people under the bus which I won't. I'm hate compliaining though if I bring up the subject of having massive workload based on other members not performing to par then it gives me such a bad image. It's not my job to spy on other TM or take into account which TM are not doing what. That's managaments job or HR's, I don't wanna get any TM in trouble, just wanna be able to get thing done. I still do but just gets frustrating at times feels like I might snap one of these days. I honestly just don't understand why it's always just John go do this John go do that, when everyone is now available cause unlike managament I took the initiative to get people on the floor walkies. Wish I could say it is only one ETL TL or LOD for the day but its not its all of them. Any sugestions on how I should approach this?

Any sugestions on how I should approach this?
Start ignoring them. Start saying, "This is John, I'm all the way in the backroom. Is there anyone closer who can respond?" Start saying, "This is John, I am currently helping a guest." They have gotten used to getting twice the amount of work out of you that you are paid to do and they won't back off unless you push back. Slow down, don't burn yourself out. Try walking instead of speed-walking. If they call you out on that, state that you are trying to be more safety-minded. Something.
I hate to say this, but are you sure you're getting the TL position? I know a few brand TMs who were told that they were getting a TL position or a position in another area only for someone else to get the position with no communication with the TM who had been told they had the position. You've proven yourself to be an asset... now you have to make sure they don't take advantage of you.
I'd like to think that things are different at your store, but it sounds like you're doing the work of 5 or 6 people and that's not good.

I'd like to think that things are different at your store, but it sounds like you're doing the work of 5 or 6 people and that's not good.[/QUOTE]
Is this happening at night or during the day?

It feels likeI'm doing almost all the work, as far as the Team Lead Position I'm assigned a mentor and already getting my full 40 hours regardless if I get it or not I'm getting my full time hours. I know a couple TL who would more then willing to let me use them as references and I'll just go elsewhere.

Its honestly happening any shift in which I'm scheduled. It's become a thing for them now I guess.

I was in a similar situation when I was a TM... I was technically part of the in-stocks team, but in reality I did a bit of almost everything in the store. On one hand, I enjoyed it because it gave me the opportunity to learn about all the other work centers and it meant great hours because I could pick up shifts/get called in for almost any work center.

But when it got to the point that it was hard to get my own work done, Softlines Ninja has the right approach. If they called me for back up, I would come up the first time, but after that I would walkie asking if anyone was closer, or say that I was with a guest, or something along those lines.

In terms of special projects and things, it depended on the day and the task. One of the things I found worked well was not declining to do a task, but speaking to what you were already working on, why it was important, why it needed to be completed first, and how long it would take (even if perhaps it wasn't *that* important). Of course I would apologize for not being able to start their task right then and there and offer to do it immediately after, but suggest another TM who might be just as capable to do it in the meantime and often times that would divert them and they would give the task to someone else.

Also, thinking ahead and touching base with other work centers sometimes helps. Ex. Once I was asked to flex a whole bunch of side caps that were looking kind of shabby, but upon touching base with our Presentation team I found out that they were being transitioned in the next day or two, and the LOD decided it was 't worth flexing them then. Not only did I get out of the task, but I made myself look good by communicating effectively (a huge opp in my store).

It's all about how you play it...

Also, on the note of being developed into a TL... I am going to say, yes, it does happen - I was promoted from TM to TL - but it had very little to do with the extra work I put in.

It mostly had to do with one or two TLs/ETLs who wanted to develop me from shortly after I started working with the company (I wasn't even sure I wanted to stay long term!) and really mentored and encouraged me to seek opportunities to promote.

Not to say that your efforts won't lead you to a TL position! Just be cautious and make sure they really mean what they say...

On the upside, though, if you're working hard and have a good rapport with your leadership staff, this helps you immensely if/when you do get promoted to TL! I know being on a good note with my fellow TLs has really benefited me because they take the extra time to help me out and offer their support.

I would also add to this.....If they are serious about you being a TL I would assume they are doing mock interviews with you. If not I would get on your mentor or an ETL about it so you can get to interviews and be put on the bench. Thats what I did.

That's a solid idea, I've had just one with my ETL two days after I told him I wanted to be Team Lead. He asked me several questions one that I thought was most inportant was when he asked me why. Gave him nothing but honesty and he liked my answer but I do need more practice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back