Archived Ex ETL AMA (ask me anything)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My question for you is based on what you've seen from the promotions of your fellow ETL peers.. How did it make you feel when you saw an ETL, a couple years fresh out of college, with substantially less amount of experience than you, promote their way into a Sr. ETL, Business Partner, STL role..? In my six years, it clearly seems that the ETL's that get promoted fit the "mold" of what Target is looking for as far as physical appearance, and they happen to network really well. Do you need to have an STL that is willing to bat for you 1000% (assuming THAT stl has weight in the district/with the DTL?) Out of the 100+ ETL roles in a given district, how does the DTL choose the "High Potential" ETL's? I imagine it's a popularity contest among the execs, and results and experience have very little to do with the overall outcome. There's just way too many ETL's with 10+ years of service that get passed up for a NIR etl.. How do these decade+ veterans deal with this? Thanks for your insight! :)

I never saw an ETL younger than me in my 5 years promote faster than I. I know there are alot of seasoned ETLs that know their job is a cake walk and don't want to promote. Your strong contributors that is. I know many that knew they could stay on the front end or softlines and hav e a cake walk and didnt care to promote. Now a days, those people are few and far between because Target wants you to promote up or promote out. I had a few people my time and a few older that promoted it seemed on the flip of a switch who were just awful and idk how they promoted when they should have been fired and ran red work centers.

Having STL's "go to bat" for you is good in any position, I think it was more important when I started than now, because if even 1 STL in your district, doesn't like you, it's tough. I know that because my STL (final) hated me but the other 7 all loved me and wanted me in their stores.

IDK how I was exactly chosen for the HIPO group. They approached me that I had turned red workcenters into green and just gave me more development opportunities. More responsibilites and I excelled I guess. Not much else. I was also very personable. Never said one bad thing about working. So that probably helped.

All the seasoned ETL's I had really enjoyed working with me. I mean I helped them out and didn't act like a pompous teen or college grad so I am sure that helped, but I never had any issues with seasoned execs.

When I asked about lack of hours I didn't mean to cause a derailment. I wasn't actually asking about hours for team members but number of allocated hours per department or per store. The expectations of what can be done is unreasonable. You stated you were told to figure it out. Were you ever given an explanation on why the hours are cut so drastically and the expectations aren't? The store goes to hell and then a visit is expected and all of a sudden people are called in left and right to get it in shape. If the hours are there for that, why are the not there to begin with to keep this from happening?

How did you enjoy the internship? Will be participating in June!
I enjoyed it to be honest. But beware, they will feed you and lead you to believe what your job is and what your job will look like and it won't look like what it really is. I was an intern trainer for 5 interns and believe me, we were told to paint it rosy red, not gloomy doom.

I'm an extended intern....

The initial summer internship was fun. You go on volunteer events and you go on tour of a DC... It was fun. Loved it.

My extended internship... Not so much. I'm hoping to secure something else before the actual ETL training phase...

How did you enjoy the internship? Will be participating in June!
I enjoyed it to be honest. But beware, they will feed you and lead you to believe what your job is and what your job will look like and it won't look like what it really is. I was an intern trainer for 5 interns and believe me, we were told to paint it rosy red, not gloomy doom.

I'm an extended intern....

The initial summer internship was fun. You go on volunteer events and you go on tour of a DC... It was fun. Loved it.

My extended internship... Not so much. I'm hoping to secure something else before the actual ETL training phase...

What did you do to get an extended internship? Anything special? Because I am hoping to get one for the final year I have of college at the store near my school. Any advice helps! Thank you.

The entire premise of this thread is highly revealing of the author.

The post with regards to team members going to work at McDonald's if they don't like crappy treatment with regards to hours is even more revealing.

The post with regards to team members going to work at McDonald's if they don't like crappy treatment with regards to hours is even more revealing.

Seconded

Please do elaborate..
What is it highly revealing of me? I have pointed out numerous things wrong with Target and things that are good.
I think you are missing the point in that comment I made. At the end of the day any company has a business to run and be profitable. There are numerous team members out there that do no deserve the job they have. Their thoughts of a job involve coming in whenever, being paid for walking around and not doing anything. It's true in every store. Every single poster can identify 2-4 people in their store that think they are entitled to everything, shouldn't have to do anything and deserve to get everything their way
I was more than open to tm's bringing me concerns and suggesstions. But when someone seriously suggests longer breaks or why I can't use my phone and it doesn't slow me down stocking boxes. Enough is enough. There is the door. I had a high tolerance for laziness and gave people multiple chances. But again, the thought behind it was, if you don't show respect as a tm, you don't deserve that respect and I challenge those to find a happier place elsewhere.

I obviously left the company.
So I don't again know what you mean by how its highly revealing of me..

Also in regards to tm's not getting enough hours to leave. Please find me a retailer/food industry where you can walk in and get 40 hours. Please. Because I can tell you where I currently work, when you start, you are guaranteed 0 hours. ZERO. EVERYONE starts part time. Your promotion, is being promoted to full time. Very few people get promoted to full time because its based on performance, attendance, attitude, desire, etc. No one is entitled to 40 hours from day 1. Not one soul. But if you work for it and prove you deserve it, then yes. But again, it's not profitable/smart to have 10 people working 40 hours as opposed to 40 people working 10 hours.

Last edited:
When I asked about lack of hours I didn't mean to cause a derailment. I wasn't actually asking about hours for team members but number of allocated hours per department or per store. The expectations of what can be done is unreasonable. You stated you were told to figure it out. Were you ever given an explanation on why the hours are cut so drastically and the expectations aren't? The store goes to hell and then a visit is expected and all of a sudden people are called in left and right to get it in shape. If the hours are there for that, why are the not there to begin with to keep this from happening?

No, no explinations. I mean I understand slow months mean less payroll, but still same expectations. I think even in the business I currently work for, we have the same thing going on. Again, you must understand that payroll is the most controlled expense.

A company will never lower their expectations and say, ya we are low on hours, so we can slack. They will never ever do it. They will try to drain every bit of work out of every bit of person. Law of diminishing returns. At some point, they will realize its not a working model. Until lifestyles change and workers say no, it will continue to be cut cut cut and bleed every ounce of work out.

There seems to be a very serious disconnect between the TMs and ETLs as a general rule.
In the store I worked at the people running the store had almost nothing in common with the people the supervised and it showed.
Some of them were able to overcome this with empathy and common sense but it was rare.
Is the huge gap between the people doing the work and people in charge as much an issue as it seems from here?

A company will never lower their expectations and say, ya we are low on hours, so we can slack. They will never ever do it. They will try to drain every bit of work out of every bit of person. Law of diminishing returns. At some point, they will realize its not a working model. Until lifestyles change and workers say no, it will continue to be cut cut cut and bleed every ounce of work out.

Workers saying "No" has a tendency to result in CA or terminations rather than change. The only time I have ever seen Spot back off on standards was when they implemented the rule that everyone needs to be out the door within an hour after close. The definition of a "brand" zone changed dramatically.

Little history. Was an ETL for over 5 years starting as an intern then straight out of college. Currently work for another employer in the retail industry.

Started as ETL-AP, ETL-Overnight Logistics, ETL-HR, ETL- Logistics. Went thru 11's (when you still had to interview), 13's and STL round robins.

AMA about Target, my experience and how a signed off STL wasn't allowed to transfer when asking for one for personal reasons.

Go.

Also, will be 100% honest

How hard is it to promote within the company? My HR basically told me I wasn't developed enough to be considered for the internship.

Workers saying "No" has a tendency to result in CA or terminations rather than change. The only time I have ever seen Spot back off on standards was when they implemented the rule that everyone needs to be out the door within an hour after close. The definition of a "brand" zone changed dramatically.

Oh our store follows that rule religiously! Teams always out within the hour, tlods/lods stay to wrap up the rest.

So workers saying no to a basic function of their job shouldn't be terms for CA or termination?
I mean your name isn't on the outside of the building. Target can change the core roles whenever the fuck they please. Again, retail is an ever changing business because today's model won't work tomorrow.

If you say no I won't ask for redcards, then you aren't doing your core roles. If you say no I won't help someone out or help a guest , then you aren't doing your core roles.

So workers saying no to a basic function of their job shouldn't be terms for CA or termination?
I mean your name isn't on the outside of the building. Target can change the core roles whenever the fuck they please. Again, retail is an ever changing business because today's model won't work tomorrow.

If you say no I won't ask for redcards, then you aren't doing your core roles. If you say no I won't help someone out or help a guest , then you aren't doing your core roles.

I'm not sure that the idea was the TM were saying no as much as the results were no.
That either the policies that Spot dumped on them created a Hal situation where people were getting such conflicting orders that they couldn't accomplish their basic goals or the expectations were so high that they burned out.
By in large people want to do a good job.
Sure there are people who want to coast and even those who shouldn't be there at all.
But most people want to do well and with good leadership can accomplish some amazing things.
Why does Spot routinely ignore this fact?

dave-2001-space-odyssey-hal-9000-sad-hill-news.jpg

Last edited:
I will never ask for hours and I will never stay late when asked. It's all I have.

Who said anything about saying "No" to basic functions of the job? You say "Until lifestyles change and workers say no, it will continue to be cut cut cut and bleed every ounce of work out." as if saying No is ever an option. It's not, even when the workload being dumped on us is way outside and beyond the company's expectations.

Please do elaborate..
What is it highly revealing of me? I have pointed out numerous things wrong with Target and things that are good.
I think you are missing the point in that comment I made. At the end of the day any company has a business to run and be profitable. There are numerous team members out there that do no deserve the job they have. Their thoughts of a job involve coming in whenever, being paid for walking around and not doing anything. It's true in every store. Every single poster can identify 2-4 people in their store that think they are entitled to everything, shouldn't have to do anything and deserve to get everything their way
I was more than open to tm's bringing me concerns and suggesstions. But when someone seriously suggests longer breaks or why I can't use my phone and it doesn't slow me down stocking boxes. Enough is enough. There is the door. I had a high tolerance for laziness and gave people multiple chances. But again, the thought behind it was, if you don't show respect as a tm, you don't deserve that respect and I challenge those to find a happier place elsewhere.

Also in regards to tm's not getting enough hours to leave. Please find me a retailer/food industry where you can walk in and get 40 hours. Please. Because I can tell you where I currently work, when you start, you are guaranteed 0 hours. ZERO. EVERYONE starts part time. Your promotion, is being promoted to full time. Very few people get promoted to full time because its based on performance, attendance, attitude, desire, etc. No one is entitled to 40 hours from day 1. Not one soul. But if you work for it and prove you deserve it, then yes. But again, it's not profitable/smart to have 10 people working 40 hours as opposed to 40 people working 10 hours.

I'd be happy to elaborate. With regards to my first point, the entire premise of your thread is that the knowledge you possess is somehow uncommon on this site. It is not. There are numerous ETLs, former ETLs and at least one STL who post here. I recall none who had the, and I don't know how else to put it, self-absorption, to create a separate thread asking the board to come to them with questions about how it works on the other side of the proverbial curtain. I will attribute this to maturity or perhaps just good manners.

In addition to Target, I worked in another part of the retail sector. What you did as an ETL would be called a "shift supervisor" in most every other area of retail. The higher pay is mostly attributable to the fact that Target uses ETLs as a farm system for future STLs and above. Just to provide some perspective, as a department manager in another area of retail, I was not only responsible for department sales, but for calculating and answering for my gross profit margins, merchandising and conducting all inventories. Additionally, I managed the store when the store manager and asst. manager were gone. At no point as an ETL were you calculating gross profits, making macro-level merchandising decisions, taking inventory of tens of thousands of dollars of merchandise and so on. This is not to show all the massive things for which I was responsible, it is to show how little ETLs actually do in comparison to managers in the rest of the retail industry. It's entirely unremarkable and most shift supervisors at your local grocery store chain have a better handle on their entire store than most ETLs have of theirs.

As to the second portion of my post, your attitude towards team members is disturbing, but not surprising, as the corporate culture in which you were immersed only reinforces lack of empathy and hierarchical views of the workplace. Your comment about who is "deserving" of a place in Target is the most revealing comment, yet. Let me give you a piece of advice as someone who is older than you and has worked not only as a manager, but has worked as a teacher. In both contexts, you will encounter a fair number of folks who think you are showing them "disrespect." First, you will find, many times, that there is something underlying in their lives that is greater than anything you or I have to deal with on a daily basis. Second, your reaction to these folks will define the workplace or classroom far greater than anything they will do. If your reaction in the workplace is, rather than letting go of an insolent employee, to play with their hours and give them back-to-back shifts, you will simply exacerbate the problem and alert others to the fact that you're an immature manager. I should note that none of the scenarios you listed above are situations in which a seasoned manager or teacher would demand that the person be shown the door. Finally, and this is a lesson I had to learn the hard way many times, those folks who are "disrespecting" you many times feel you are disrespecting them. Many times, they are 100% correct. People in their early/mid-20s are particularly apt to be oblivious to how they come off to others.

Please do elaborate..

Implying that "working really hard" is a magical panacea for getting more hours and things like middle school politics dont exist

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back