Archived Executive Intern position questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everybody!

I'm a current sophomore in college who has already begun to look for summer internships for 2017. Everyone here probably already knows about the executive intern position offered by some Target locations and I just had a few questions about the position. Firstly, I'm interested in retail management/sales/public relations which is why I am applying for this position. I really want to get an intern's experience. Did you like it and was it worth it? Was is it helpful in furthering your career? How did you apply for the job? (online, job fair, etc.)

Now, the only concerns that I have are that I currently work for Target and I've read throughout a countless number of forums here that say they don't accept internals. Is that true? If it is, should I resign and reapply as an intern. If it helps, I only work during summers/winter breaks, as a service desk TM. Also, is applying as a sophomore going into their junior year a bit early for this position?

Lastly, I'm open to working in a couple states. Is there a rule/policy that says that the intern must be a resident in the state they are applying?

Thanks!

Talk to your etl or stl. Tell them you want to apply for intern job. If you are supported by your mgt, you will be a shoo in for the job. But, depends on the business needs, not all districts have interns. You may be working at a different store. We have several threads on interns, just search for it. You didn't say which Dept you work in. If you are stellar & lead a well, your stl will support your option for an intern.

Don't forget, stay in school. Spot is known to dangle carrots, with broken promises.

Hello everybody!

I'm a current sophomore in college who has already begun to look for summer internships for 2017. Everyone here probably already knows about the executive intern position offered by some Target locations and I just had a few questions about the position. Firstly, I'm interested in retail management/sales/public relations which is why I am applying for this position. I really want to get an intern's experience. Did you like it and was it worth it? Was is it helpful in furthering your career? How did you apply for the job? (online, job fair, etc.)

Now, the only concerns that I have are that I currently work for Target and I've read throughout a countless number of forums here that say they don't accept internals. Is that true? If it is, should I resign and reapply as an intern. If it helps, I only work during summers/winter breaks, as a service desk TM. Also, is applying as a sophomore going into their junior year a bit early for this position?

Lastly, I'm open to working in a couple states. Is there a rule/policy that says that the intern must be a resident in the state they are applying?

Thanks!
I was told when I first heard about the internship that I wouldn't be able to do it because I worked for Target by my ETL-HR. After he left I brought it up again to my new ETL-HR and also talked to my STL about it and they said they'd push for me to go through the interview process because before an internal (TM already working for Target) can apply they have to be approved by the DTL. The way we did it was there was an announce visit by her and my STL placed me in the store to where when she was walking they'd "run into me" and she introduced me and I'd inquire about the internship and tell how much I was interested in the internship.

When this happened it turned from an introduction into an on the spot interview. Apparently I impressed the DTL enough to where when she was leaving she told my STL to push me through to the interview process. What they're looking for with internals how want to do the internship in MY district is someone that before they even start the internship they could already be TLs in the building. I was a sophomore going into my junior year and they accepted me. Honestly if your STL feels like they could consider working with you as an ETL then they'll go to back and fight for you to go up for interviews with the DTL and HRBP. Let them know your interested in retail and business management because the first or second question they'll ask you is what you're majoring in. I was just officially offered the extended intern position and the ETL offers upon completion of school and i would have to say the Target internship compared to all the other internships my school emails me is A LOT better....

18.50/hr with a guaranteed 40 hrs a week and actually getting to know your district and group leadership instead of just hearing about them and actually understanding the business was the main thing I got out of this. I got to interact and get to know my leadership team more and become one of their peers. You learn how to actually manage a multi million dollar business, it most definitely furthered my career and I loved every second of it.

Also if you have any other questions feel free to PM me because like you when I looked on here when I wanted to know more about the position everything was either outdated or I would just see a no you can't do it because you work for Target.

Last edited:
@cobycord Thanks for the reply! I will definitely start letting my ETL-HR know that I'm interested in applying for the position. You just made the position way more worth applying too.

Also internals are held to a much higher standard when being chosen. My STL said she needed to know whether or not I was holding myself to a higher standard and being a leader before she even decided to introduce me to the DTL, and if they don't believe you actually would want to be interested in staying with Target and becoming an ETL they won't move you forward because that's initially what the internship is about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back