Archived Extreme Couponers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lately my store has been getting ridiculous amounts of extreme couponers. I'm talking people that walk out of the store with a couple of carts full of stuff and pay about $10 if not less out of pocket. I'm just wondering how other cashiers handle these types of guests. It makes me extremely uncomfortable to check them out because I know their coupons are BS and shouldn't be taken but the stupid POS doesn't do me any favors. Plus our ETL-GE has a "take all coupons" approach to things.

Their coupons are probably genuine. Most of the extreme couponers that come through my lines might try to get away with expired coupons or using a coupon for one thing that's actually for another, or a size that's excluded, but actual fake coupons are fairly rare in comparison. I coupon a bit myself, and I've been able to get some pretty good deals. I haven't done it so much these days since the great deals are always on the same stuff- cheap shampoo mostly- and I have plenty stockpiled.

If it scans, it redeems. In the end, Target will get reimbursed for it.

The real "couponing" scam happens at the service desk. Same day returns, supposed missed coupons, trying to push a return without canceling the giftcard, etc.

I still stress over a time I had someone come through my line and commited coupon fraud. Then one of the APS who like to regularly be a bitch ass cunt uses it as an excuse to bitch at me all night long. My SrGSTL talked to me about it, but didn't seem pissed off. Who knows though. I'm sick of the lack of appreciation some stores have towards GSAs. You can do a hundred things right with no appreciation but then get bitched at when you make a mistake that you really didn't receive training on or received mixed signals from leadership on. And they wonder why some days I'm there and I have a IDGAF look on my face...well bitches some days I did GAF just by coming in.

I still stress over a time I had someone come through my line and commited coupon fraud. Then one of the APS who like to regularly be a bitch ass cunt uses it as an excuse to bitch at me all night long. My SrGSTL talked to me about it, but didn't seem pissed off. Who knows though. I'm sick of the lack of appreciation some stores have towards GSAs. You can do a hundred things right with no appreciation but then get bitched at when you make a mistake that you really didn't receive training on or received mixed signals from leadership on. And they wonder why some days I'm there and I have a IDGAF look on my face...well bitches some days I did GAF just by coming in.

I mean it should be common sense. Yeah, everything is situational, it's a huge grey area. The best you can do is give your cashiers the right tools and knowledge to decide what is and isn't okay. Example, if someone is buying a ton of groceries, they happen to give me a .75 cent coupon for hair dye they bought, that isn;t going though on it;s own....I'm going to go ahead and honor that coupon as long as it's close. But if someone is buying 8, .99 cent trial sized bottles of lotion, and giving me coupons for $2 off a bottle, then I'm going to strictly follow the terms of the coupon. Especially if they have tons of items like that.

Now I just teach myself to recognize fraud and to be prepared and aware of my surroundings. When I notice their cart is full of HBA, I know I recognize that as potential fraud. All I do is guest service them. I ask, "Will you be using coupons tonight?" And if they say yes, I'll ask for them first so I can compare while I scan, to save time. If that doesn't work, then I just stay mindful and remember what they're getting as I scan. It's kind of hard to forget whether or not they bought a $100 Sonicare toothbrush. So when they hand me a "$15 of the Toothkiller 500" and I know all they got were brush heads, I can tell them "no."

just accept them.... at the end of the day Target will make up for in in sales and we get reimbursed for coupons. I unless I am told otherwise by the GSA, TL, GSTL, or ETL (in that order) the real scams happen at Guest service with same day returns and shit. If a guest EVER makes you feel uncomfortable than blink your light and get some assistance.

Target doesn't get reimbursed for the 6-9% of fraudulent coupons that pass through our stores weekly.

Obviously best practice, should be used.

If the guest only has one coupon, K1 as needed.

If they have a huge stack, and tons of trial size items, you should be questioning the ones that beep or look suspicious.

If you know someone is an extreme couponer, make sure you read the fluid ounces on all the products and predict which items are probably going to be turned down due to the size. This will help prepare you for when they hand coupons for that item. If you ever feel uncomfortable entering in so many coupons, call over a GSA or your GSTL, believe it or not, but most of the time they like it when you call them over. If the couponer is using tactics to confuse you into letting the coupons slip by, call over your LOD or AP so that they can back you up if needed.

i know all (okay, most) the tricks extreme couponers use. actually, i wouldn't call these people extreme couponers, i would call them scammers. i had this guy in my line for 2 hours last month, he was buying tons of trial sized items and gave me tons of coupons for like 8 dollars+ for other products and more than one type of manufacturer coupon for some products. my gstl came over to help me when she saw the extreme couponer and we went through all the coupons together. and this was on a busy saturday btw. i never feel comfortable with extreme couponers and i always call over a gstl when i know for a fact they are trying to scam us. it's always the same coupons i see too! and if you're a cashier you really need to pay attention to the size they are buying and what it says on the coupon. also beware of red text that says something like "one coupon per household per day". the register usually accepts coupons with no problem and i love when i flip my light on for help and the guest tells me to scan the coupons and they will go through, lol no, i don't want to get in trouble and it's not fair for you to get away with virtually free products from using incorrect coupons.

High volume store here. Target reserves the right to reject any and all coupons at our discretion. Originally we just went with Guest First Policy and carried along but as it started to take a toll, we enforced the "max 4 per item type" and "No coupons past 1 week expiry" rules. The couponers are still aplenty but it really helped when the GSA/GSTL and ETL-GE teamed together and passed along the same message to the front end. Now people are at least halfway decent about it and if we reject a coupon, we're very kind and usually the guest is complacent. I highly suggest using these rules to help prevent these guests from seriously screwing up your stats.

My store takes coupons up to a month after expiration. It's really confusing because you have to manually enter them and if the items being bought are less than the coupon, you have to scroll up forever to find the right amount to adjust the coupon to. I coupon, so I get it. But I will never understand buying a bunch of stuff just because it's cheap or free. I only buy stuff I use and maybe 2 of them at most.

Mostly they buy it to return for the extra $$.
Unless it's a target coupon, they can get the return including the coupon value (albeit, sometimes on a giftcard).

I believe this is the site my that the GSAs/GSTLs use at my store http://www.couponsinc.com/crc/retailers-fraud.asp

They use Veri Fi to check internet printed coupons with ridiculously high discounts and such.
This site is not 100% accurate. Bud has often listed legitimate coupons-and who knows why...its a great starting point, but I've had legitimate copies of the coupon in question, straight from the manufacturer and they will be listed on his site.

Veri-fi is gold. Always. But it takes time and guests get annoyed I imagine if you walk off with their coupon to a computer with internet access to check the veri-fi code.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back