Archived Extremely disappointed!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoThankYouPlease

Fly Away.. Far Far Away..
I work for a small discount retailer in my small town which is about 10 miles from my local Target. I went there on a whim last weekend, applied, interviewed, interviewed again, and I got the job! I was so extremely extremely excited! I take pride in serving and developing relationships with my customers and couldn't wait to be apart of a team that cared about their customer experiences in our stores as much as I did. Target pays $2.25 more an hour than what I'm currently making, so that along with the discounts and perks I was told about after I accepted the job offer, I couldn't wait to bring my skills and knowledge to the table!

I put in my 2 weeks notice to my current employer and made sure to let the hr lady who hired me know that I would absolutely need to give a 2 week notice. They wanted me to start right away. My last day at my current employer is 7/28. My orientation was last night, which I left work early to do. 2 hr folks split the orientation between them and both thought the other had told us about basically everything and we ended up with nothing (absolutely intentional). I was the last one to leave because I had to personally work out my schedule with hr. They decided my first shift would be tomorrow 7/20 and that my training would last about a week and a half, then I'd be on my own next Saturday. I was absolutely LIVID.. I specifically made sure they knew I did not want to start working until after my last day at my current employer. My schedule looked like this on Thursday: 12-6 current employer, 7-11 Target. Friday: 12-5 current employer, 7-11 Target. My availability is days. And when I told the hr lady that that would be difficult for me to manage, she gave me a really nasty look and in an angry 12 year old girl voice said "well I suppose we can wait to start training you until next week." I didn't want her to dislike me right off the bat, I wanted to show her that really I was flexible. So I agreed. And I immediately wish I had stayed firm.

What happened was she completely ignored my availability sheet I had turned in and had me scheduled 3 daytime shifts and 3 night shifts, making it so I was only able to work at my current job 3 days next week and that was only if I agreed to work 7 days in a row. I only want 20-25 absolute max hours a week and this hr lady not only knew that, by also knew I would be going pretty well over my max comfort level by finishing out my 2 week notice. I really wanted time to be able to say goodbye to my regulars and tell them to visit me at Target!

It wasn't fair to me or my current employer who expected me to be able to finish that 2 weeks and schedule me according to where I worked best in the schedule. I should've trusted my gut when the hr lady was so reluctant to give me those two weeks to my current employer. And then the bitch pressured me so hard to start immediately anyway.

She then looked through my paperwork to make sure all documents were signed. I had one unsigned and it was a list of all of the individual items we were supposed to cover in our orientation but only watched the video. I had to check off that she explained all of those items. I said "but we didn't cover any of this." She got real snarky again and said "well everyone else had this all ready to go for me and you cannot work here if you don't sign it." So stupid me signed it.

When I left I was all excited that I was now a Target employee, and despite the many red flags and terrible gut feeling, I was happy about it.

When I got home I went on target.com/careers and read all of what it had to offer. I read every section of the handbook and took notes on things I didn't want to forget. I had a lot of questions and googled one of them. This site came up..

I have now literally been up all of last night reading this horrible shit about how poorly everyone is treated etc etc. I read all the way back to 2014. Now I was panicking. This afternoon I stopped in to talk to my curent manager, who I consider a good friend and confidant, and I just let the vent begin.

Two hours later after I worked everything out with my manager, I called that lady in hr and quit. I am now a Target new hire statistic and I'm damn proud of it. I may make less money, but I love all of my coworkers. We respect each other and any of my managers have no problem jumping on register with me when it's busy (which is nothing like Target busy). We all smoke and is common practice that if you're working hard and getting your work done, they'll cover extra breaks. My schedule is so flexible and my managers work around any issue I might have (rare but happens) as well last minute changes to the schedule. I was sick one day two months ago and the only thing my manager said was a genuine "get better soon!" I also had a 3 hour early morning shift a couple weeks ago that I accidently slept through. This has never happened to once in my previous 10+ years since becoming an adult. My manager said "oh it happens to everyone sometimes." This is why when I do decide I'm ready to head back into an office, this will always be my 2nd job.

Now I'm full time at my current job, where I look forward to going to work and providing my customers with beyond the call of duty customer service. My managers praise me regularly on my performance and say they wish they had 5 more of me, lol.

Sorry this had been so long.. but this was my first and last experience working for Target.. lol I only made it ONE day!! Lol

I have now literally been up all of last night reading this horrible shit about how poorly everyone is treated etc etc. I read all the way back to 2014. Now I was panicking

Meh, this place is great to vent but I would venture to say the majority of people here love their job. Very few of us are totally miserable and the ones that are usually move on. Target has it's issues but I love spot. Even being flawed it is an excellent company.

Two hours later after I worked everything out with my manager, I called that lady in hr and quit. I am now a Target new hire statistic and I'm damn proud of it.

Granted your HR lady sucked, you didn't handle the situation well at all. During your interview you sign an agreed availability and a number of hours you wish to work. All you had to do was show your HR this with your interviewers signature.

Now I'm full time at my current job, where I look forward to going to work and providing my customers with beyond the call of duty customer service. My managers praise me regularly on my performance and say they wish they had 5 more of me, lol.

Did you want a pat on the back from us? Lol, I am not usually this cynical but you are preaching to the wrong crowd

You're weak. Never assume anyone just knows what you want. Stand your ground on things you can't compromise on. Who the fuck cares if someone gives you a nasty look?

Sorry about the bad hr. We understand your issues with spot. Here at the forum, the members try to offer pros & cons opinions about spot.
We are not bunch of bad folks. We have issues with spot too.

We do try to teach, learn, support, & vent about spot, here.

Congrats on your new job. Spot's loss on a good employee. @Korrin

While Target isn't always the best place to work its not the worse. Some stores are worse than others and some are better. I will give you credit for admitting to yourself that you were happy ( with Spot) and doing something to change it. Good luck with things

Just confirming, did you make your starting date on your Target application and interview a date after your quit your other job. If they called you into orientation before your starting date that would have been a red flag.

To tell you the truth, unless that Target location is a high volume store, hours will suck after your initial 3 months until the holidays.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back