Archived Favorite ETL Position

Status
Not open for further replies.
ETL’s I’m curious what (in your personal opinion) is the best ETL position and why? Best meaning most fun and fulfilling not necessarily what you found to be the easiest. I’m looking to hear the dirty and gritty details too from your experiences!

I'm in my first role so I cant really compare as always, I will offer a pros and cons list.

HR Pros: probably the best career role because you can parlay it into an HR role outside of Target. Most hrbps are former etl hrs. You generally get less LOD shifts than your peers.

Cons: hr at Target is not true hr. You are not coordinating benefits (Where the real money is). Our rules for firing rarely match state laws. You're usually the first person blamed when hours go to hell.

Etl log/replenishment pros: good logs are often promoted to stl. A good etl log can leave Target and probably thrive somewhere else with much better resources. ETLs logs are more likely to promote to pmbp rather than a pmt as backwards as that sounds. Most pptls are self sufficient team leads so my etl log has absolutely nothing to do with plano.

Log cons: the hours can suck. Especially if you're at an overnight or 4am store. Targets log process is broken as hell. You better be able to jump in and help your team. Log ETLs get too much blame for said broken processes.

Etl ap pros: definitely a job no one would call boring . Target pays well for loss prevention. For now they still allow apprehensions.

Ap cons: paperwork. Some stores have awful camera coverage. Number one con according to mine is his LOD shifts taking away from ap focus. If you are in a risk 8, 9 or 10 store you get to avoid LOD shifts. I can't think of many etl aps who made it to stl, once in Ap that's your path.

Etl hardlines
Pros: you're able to have such a huge impact on comps and sales for your areas. You have so many end caps that you can work with to drive sales. Most stores still have the flow team push hardlines.

Cons: hardlines hours are awful compared to softlines. Even market is getting more than hardlines in an e2e store. Most good hardlines team members are stolen by higher paying/more consistent hour teams such as plano, electronics or market. Hardlines just took over instocks this year which sucks because our company OOS rate is over 2% of goal.

Etl style or softlines

Pros: Options outside of target, clothing stores will never fully go away thanks to women. Right now softlines is getting a lot of hours. Pretty easy to stand out on a visit if you have a team that can zone and a good vm.

Cons: targets hiring is whack. All our girls who were fast and efficient got moved to flow team because they weren't "style experts". You need a balance of both process and guest oriented people. Most softlines teams in my experience have a lot of drama between team members

Etl ge

Pros: the position is almost all talent management. Through hiring you can really shape your team. Speaking for my store many of our 10 plus year team members are older cashier's who will never leave us for greener pastures.

Cons: the stereotype they put weak ETLs in this role. Red cards and NPS Scores are fickle. My current ge sends these condescending emails when we get bad surveys but no one takes her seriously.

Etl food or etl ops
Some High volume P fresh stores still have an etl ops who oversee food.

Pros: your team leads make or break your department.

Cons: your team leads make or break your department. Having to deal with Steritech.

Senior etl pays about 5k-10k more a year. That's probably the best etl position.

Last edited:
Definitely not GE. I can't stand having to listen to suburban moms complain about something stupid like having a guy cleaning the women's restroom, the 'fro of a minimum wage TM being unprofessional, or the fact that she's shopping past midnight and she feels rushed because I have to stand right by the doors until she leaves.

I'm in my first role so I cant really compare as always, I will offer a pros and cons list.

Red cards and NPS Scores are fickle. My current ge sends these condescending emails when we get bad surveys but no one takes her seriously.

THIS! Why the hell is my job performance based on the opinions of people who give a 0 because they "don't recommend stores to friends and family" or because they left their cart unattended for an extended period of time and it got reshopped or because we couldn't do a return for them due to the fact that they didn't have a receipt, gift receipt, the card they used AND they didn't want to use their ID?!

Most softlines teams in my experience have a lot of drama between team members

Yes! Why? Because the TMs are mostly young and female? My store's SL team is drama central. I would hate to be the HR person who had to deal with it on a daily basis.

Yes! Why? Because the TMs are mostly young and female? My store's SL team is drama central. I would hate to be the HR person who had to deal with it on a daily basis.

This kind of shit happens when there's favoritism. Treat everyone equally. Leadership needs to actually "have" expectations; and hold all TMs to those expectations equally. The Team is here to help run a business..... they don't need to work w/ a buddy to get shit done. Do the damn job that is expected of you; be proud of the work you do; collect your paycheck; and enjoy your home-life. If shit starts to escalate.....look at your Leadership. They need to get control of their Team. Soooooo simple.

This kind of shit happens when there's favoritism. Treat everyone equally. Leadership needs to actually "have" expectations; and hold all TMs to those expectations equally. The Team is here to help run a business..... they don't need to work w/ a buddy to get shit done. Do the damn job that is expected of you; be proud of the work you do; collect your paycheck; and enjoy your home-life. If shit starts to escalate.....look at your Leadership. They need to get control of their Team. Soooooo simple.
Easier said than done. Target doesn't put an emphasis on leadership development, so unless your STL owns that and it trickles down, no one is going to care.

I can't think of many etl aps who made it to stl, once in Ap that's your path.
That's how it isn't in my area no one I've worked with in AP has promoted into another department or transferred with the exception of a store having their TPS cut

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back