Archived favorite way to mess with shoplifters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a cashier, sometimes I find things stuffed inside other things (jewelry inside a shoebox, for example. or a small appliance box stuffed with other things). What are funny ways I can fuck with the shoplifters without getting into trouble? Someone suggested that I just ring everything up and pretend like nothing is wrong when their total is a lot higher than they expect.

Do they still teach cashiers about Bob ( bottom of basket) and Lisa ( look inside always) another team member and I were talking about that they other day...way back when I started that's all you heard

Do they still teach cashiers about Bob ( bottom of basket) and Lisa ( look inside always) another team member and I were talking about that they other day...way back when I started that's all you heard
They still teach this. My APL brings it up all the time.

Yep there's a sign in our TMSC reminding us about BOB & LISA.
I just ask if they would like to purchase the found items too. If it was a repeat offender or really obvious then I like the idea of just ringing it up without saying a word. You could "accidentally" ring the found item twice, thereby overcharging them for something they tried to get for free. Of course they would probably go straight to GS about it.

Ignore them. I don't work lanes and don't get paid enough to care in any other workcenter.

I've never had anyone try to sneak anything inside a container. I do get frequent shoppers who like to stick clearance stickers on other items.
I usually type in the DPCI of the clearance sticker and look at the item description. If they don't match then I will say something like
"this price is not for this item, would you still like to purchase the item?" I love catching these people.

I've only caught one... she had a purse underneath her cart. I asked if she wanted to pay for that too, and she said, "no thanks". haha.

I had a guest stick greeting cards in folders and it fell out as I scanned it and he just took it and started speaking to their wife in Spanish while I asked if they wanted it. The few times I've caught it, the guest acts shocked/surprised/forgetful and I ask if they still want it.

I caught a kid trying to hide earbuds inside a shirt that he "wanted to try on". I said that I need to count how many shirts he was taking in. The earbuds fell out. I asked if he still wanted to try the shirt on. I told him to get out of here before I call AP. Then I called AP. He was probably about 10, so I wasn't worried about him starting something with me.

I thought the mirrors on the side panels of registers were there so cashiers could see what's underneath the shopping cart.

I have a great working relationship with our ETL-AP, so I sometimes get to unofficially play lookout for him. I've been told I'm stern looking, so he usually just has me stay in sight of the suspect.

The things you can convey by just hanging around someone and CIHYFSing then every five minutes with your arms crossed.

Best advice
tumblr_m9eayiyQf91qm76s1o1_500.png

I've never had anyone try to sneak anything inside a container. I do get frequent shoppers who like to stick clearance stickers on other items.
I usually type in the DPCI of the clearance sticker and look at the item description. If they don't match then I will say something like
"this price is not for this item, would you still like to purchase the item?" I love catching these people.
wish we could do that we have to honor the price. ive caught them plenty of times but every time we have to give it to the guest for the sticker price. this mostly happens on clothing/jewlry but it still irks me everytime

wish we could do that we have to honor the price. ive caught them plenty of times but every time we have to give it to the guest for the sticker price. this mostly happens on clothing/jewlry but it still irks me everytime

Depends who's in charge of the store at the time here it seems. I was very shocked though when our APTL overrode the one GSA's. She said no, wrong sticker, we don't have to honor the price unless the #'s match, APTL said go ahead and give them the sticker price, even though it was quite possible that the guest had peeled the sticker off an item and put it onto another item. The incident in question was a $49.99 item the guest had put a $5.00 sticker on.

Depends who's in charge of the store at the time here it seems. I was very shocked though when our APTL overrode the one GSA's. She said no, wrong sticker, we don't have to honor the price unless the #'s match, APTL said go ahead and give them the sticker price, even though it was quite possible that the guest had peeled the sticker off an item and put it onto another item. The incident in question was a $49.99 item the guest had put a $5.00 sticker on.
Sounds like "The Vibe" at its worst. Sooo glad that BS is over

It is against policy to accuse or call out someone for shoplifting.

But you can make it a big dramatic moment....

"So I see you carry earrings in your shoes."
"Isn't it so much easier to carry all those DVDs in those plastic storage boxes."
"So you have heard the new trend of wearing the price tags on clothes."

Last edited:
"oh wow, what a great price on that Dyson- it's on clearance for 6.98!"
"...wait a second..."
"Some joker decided to play a prank on us! See- this sticker is for a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles pencil holder! Kids these days I swear..."
"So the Dyson is ringing up at its regular price of 499.99- will you be saving 5% today with your Target Red Card for a total savings of twenty-five dollars?!"

Believe it or not, I think AP, actually knew ahead of time about that guest. And, wanted them to get away with it, so they could get a solid recording, of them walking in, switching price stickers, and then, leaving with the stolen items.

I'd bet AP knows more than about that certain individual than you think, and they've been simply told to gather video & information. I wouldn't worry about it, It probably won't be long before they decide to apprehend them.

I thought the mirrors on the side panels of registers were there so cashiers could see what's underneath the shopping cart.
The cagey ones have their kids stand in front of the mirrors.
I just do what a long-time cashier taught me: walk around & put everything in the basket.
Doing so prevents paid & left, gives you a bird's eye view into & under the cart, gives you a chance to stretch your legs & provides a final dose of good guest service.

I think it's satisfying to annoy them with excelent guest service. The APL at my store encourages it.
Example:
*guest walks into electronics wearing a backpack, a coat, a hat, and sunglasses*
"Can I help you with anything? You seem very interested in that product there and I happen to be quite knowledgable on it. No? Ok. Well, I'll just conveniently be working in this isle right here anyway if you have questions. Ah, what a coincidence this is the next isle I was working in. Again, I'm right here if you need anything." etc...

^^ That's being a bit slimy, no? As a TM you shouldn't be all "convenience store watching like a hawk" it isn't your job and makes you look bad as well as Target. Target has undercover AP that know how to watch and what to look for. Your job is to CIHYFS and that's all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back