Archived Fear of heights and the backroom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone else struggle with this? I'm softlines, but since we redid the backroom and condensed everything, there's now a lot more ladder-climbing involved in backstocking. I didn't used to have an issue with it, but back when things were stretched out I rarely had to use the ladders. Now we stock all the way to the top. I get so nervous up there. I don't like having to reach and twist, I don't like trying to tug out full wacos, I don't like trying to carry things up the ladders, and it's hard to actually maintain three points of contact when you have to hold your product, scan it, and put it away. I actually do pretty well with the wave, because it's an enclosed space and it feels so much more secure, but unfortunately the wave doesn't fit into those narrow aisles. With the ladder it feels like those little handrails are the only things stopping me from splatting onto the concrete. Does anyone have any tips? Is it something you just get used to?

One thing that does help me a lot is to hold on to the ladder with a good grip and to look at your feet on the step as opposed to the ground under it. And always have three points of contact with the ladder.

This was (and still is, sometimes) me when I first took over softlines and was faced with using the wave every day. Like others have said, let your team know. Also, the fear has diminished a bit with time + practice. I still freak out a bit internally, but it's not as bad as it was.

Good luck!

Stop think and set yourself up. Take your time and plan out your steps. If you set yourself up on the ladder with your feet planted and balanced it makes everything easier, And do the same thing each time, I climb, set my feet, pull out my zebra, scan my items, replace zebra, pull out item and so on.

And always remember drop the damn product if you feel your going to lose it, don't throw yourself off balance trying to save it. Just let it go.

My mom told me I was part mountain goat as a kid since heights don't bother me, its cause I am pretty methodical up there. Also many years ago I applied to work as a phone linemen, you know the guys who install lines like in man holes and up the utility poles. Yeah they did a physical interview before anything else, cause so many people would freak out either in the manhole or up on the utility pole, so you are so not alone if heights are just not your thing.

All great advice here!! One thing I do at when I'm at the top and have to pull something heavy or just move stuff is to wrap my arm around the handle as I use the other to do the heavy work. 3 pts of contact is always on my mind up there.

Just realize you can frig yourself up on the last step. Be aware and use your tiger eye.

Yep, been there done that many a time.. usually at home on the front porch last time was setting up Halloween..

I’m not afraid of heights, but god damn, our backrook team has been backstocking CASES OF LAUNDRY SOAP on the TOP SHELF. It’s so fucking hard to carry 6 bottles of laundry soap down a ladder: like wtf are they thinking? I’m *somewhat* able to do it because I’m still young, but there’s no way in hell anyone over the age of 40 is getting those things down...

I’m not afraid of heights, but god damn, our backrook team has been backstocking CASES OF LAUNDRY SOAP on the TOP SHELF. It’s so fucking hard to carry 6 bottles of laundry soap down a ladder: like wtf are they thinking? I’m *somewhat* able to do it because I’m still young, but there’s no way in hell anyone over the age of 40 is getting those things down...

I had trouble with that, too. An ETL noticed that and told me just take the bottles or boxes out of the box and take them down one at a time, no matter how long it takes.

Last edited:
I heard someone, I think a TL, injured her/himself when she/he missed a step when coming down from a ladder.

I'm on the flow team and do some backroom work and I too have a small fear of heights. How I get around that is being tall and using the ladder to my advantage. I use the top of the ladder and even that platform at the top to hold the boxes while I get situated and then I slide the boxes down the ladder a little at a time as I climb down. It's not so bad, especially when having to do caf's. Just take your time and do the best you can do with what you think you can do. Your life is more important than products.

For stability and better traction, I like to spead my foot to where the side of your foot is touching the side of the ladder and apply pressure for a better grip. Especially when pulling the more heavier stuff.

Exactly what I mean by getting set up on the ladder. Get your points for balance and even just feeling the ladder for me its against my shin, then I know my feet are right.

HLN13, Yep I pull those bottles out and take them down one at time, or if I am really lucky relay them down, take them down a shelf or two if there is room and then I don't have to climb as high up for the next load.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back