Archived Finally reached my breaking point...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SFSFun

Ship from Store: Don't call it Ship To Store!!
After four years of dealing with all of the ridiculous bullshit that Target and my store came up with on a regular basis, I finally hit a breaking point about a month ago. I could go on and on about the insane shit that went on and downright stupid management decisions that were made on a daily basis, but I just don't have the energy to get into it. Maybe I'll add some examples at some point in the future.

Even through all of the bullshit and the many ETL and TL changes over the years, I was lucky enough to have leadership who viewed me as an asset to SFS and almost always gave me 40 hours a week. I can count on one hand the number of times I got less than 40 since taking over SFS, and I would have left a lot sooner if it wasn't for that.

I'll miss many of my coworkers, most of whom have been there just as long or longer than me, but I'm ready to move on and start a new chapter in my life.

Thank you to everyone here who helped me out over the years, and a special shout out to @HRZone (who seems to be mia) for letting me rant to him about incompetent ETLs at my store these past few months.

Good luck. There comes a day when you have to cut loose. There are good jobs out there go find ‘em!

Readying launch to go screaming into the night.
Fair farin', SFS.

Congratulations and best of luck with whatever you decide to do next!
I’ve only been creeping (and sometimes random drunk posting) on here for 9 months or so, but I’ve noticed your contributions and advice and think that you will be greatly missed!
Make sure to come back and let us know how things turn out!

Good luck @SFSFun ! Always enjoyed your posts! Wishing you nothing but the best ! Let us know what comes of your new adventure!

giphy.webp

Thanks for all of the well-wishes!

I just wanted to add that I didn't quit without a plan, and I timed everything out so that I could begin working again almost immediately. I'm not quite ready to post here what my exact job is, but I'm very excited about it and I'll be sure to come back with more details in the future, once I settle in. One of the many contributing factors in my decision to leave was seeing other posts on here from people who have left, and post updates months and years later, still happy about their choice.

the greatest bs of all is the continuous loss of talent that the company doesn't even acknowledge,and can't replace.
I wish you all the best and hope you land well.
While I'd be one of the first to admit that we're all replaceable, I agree that it's sad how much talent Target is losing, and it does hurt stores in the short term as they scramble to train replacements and get them to perform at the higher standards the store had been seeing. I witnessed it firsthand as I was preparing to leave.

I ain't quitting this shitshow just so I can see what happens next firsthand.

....................ONE TEAM!!!
g37WhLL.gif

39smq.gif

For some Spot was a life raft to catch some checks (after working for them) then Spot was a life buoy to hang on to. Now Spot is quicksand, can’t go, staying bad.
I will say this. For the cheerleaders it’s gonna get much tougher. The task vs personnel vs payroll issues will be bad. On top of that Newbs. Best o luck to you.

I still have no regrets about my decision. Right now I’m working 4-5 days a week, making about 2.5x more than when I was working 40 hrs/week at Target. The only downside is that I’m working long days (often 11-13 hours), so I really don’t have time to do anything except on the weekends. I’m expecting to have a more stable schedule by August.

Update #3
6 months after Target

Warning: Wall of text coming up... tl;dr available at the bottom

Back when I hit my breaking point with Target, I realized that it was time to seriously get my life together and get into a good career, not just another job. My favorite part about working at Target was when I got to work in receiving, and my interactions with all of the delivery people got me interested in truck driving. I was especially interested in the drivers who carried loads from our DC and FDC, because they were getting home every day or every other day, and sleeping in a truck doesn't sound very appealing to me. I reached out to that company, but they were not currently hiring for their Target account. I spent a lot of spare time finding out everything I could about truck driving.

Work was becoming more and more unbearable, so I kept researching the career field and ended up in a program at my local community college that would train me to get my commercial drivers license (CDL). They had an 8 week evening course available, but by this point I was so desperate to get out of Target that I signed up for the 5 week day course, and started only working weekends (while burning though my vacation and personal days). I had made up my mind that I was not going to be an over-the-road (OTR) trucker who was gone for a week+ at a time, and so I started applying to every job I could find that would hire new CDL holders and would have me home at least every other day, if not every day. By the time I had successfully earned my CDL, I had multiple recruiters reaching out for interviews and follow-ups.

Within a few weeks of obtaining my CDL, I accepted a job offer as a Delivery Driver for US Foods. Starting pay was $24.05/hr, but within a month they raised it to $26.26/hr to stay competitive. The job consists of driving a tractor-trailer to various customers and delivering food and food-related products. Basically anywhere that has a commercial kitchen (restaurants, schools, hospitals, hotels, etc). It's been anywhere from 10-18 stops in a day, pulling anywhere from 28' to 48' trailers, and 15,000 to 25,000 lbs. It's a very physically intense job, since most of it is hand unloaded by stacking products onto a two-wheel dolly and running it down the ramp and into the customer location. Once my trailer is unloaded, I drive back to the lot, unload my dolly and any returns, then get in my car and go home. No sleeping in the truck or staying at a hotel.

I've been on my own route since mid-July, working 4 days a week for about 45 hours, which is pretty mild compared to some other guys. I chose a route that's based out of a remote drop lot, so I rarely see my supervisors and I don't have to deal with being forced to come in on my day off like the lower seniority guys at the main warehouse. My route also has tons of hotels, which are generally awesome to deliver to because I just wheel it in through the automatically opening front doors and the heated/cooled lobby (some restaurants are not fun with their greasy floors, hot kitchens, tight corners, and weird bumps to go over or stairs to go down).

All said, I'm really happy with the way things worked out, and I'm extremely glad that I didn't have to endure another Christmas season at Target. I don't intend to work at US Foods as a delivery driver forever, but the pay is hard to argue with and the experience I'll take away is worth it for now. My ultimate goal is to land at a place like UPS Freight or FedEx Freight making palletized deliveries to businesses (like how the Starbucks order arrives). Places like those pay similarly starting off, but the work is much easier and the raises with seniority are significant enough to make it a job I'd want to work until I retire.

I mentioned it before and I'll say it again, the posts on here from people who left Target and found success are a big part of what pushed me to leave, and so I hope that this will do the same for others. Stop wishing about things getting better and go do something about it! If anyone has questions about truck driving or working for US Foods, feel free to pm me.

tl;dr
I left Target to become a truck driver.

IMG_1766-edit.jpg

IMG_1722-edit.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back