Archived Fired for "theft"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I noticed a camera by where I work yesterday after AP asked if I knew where something was. I have never stolen before, my question is, can AP fire me for suspecting me of theft? What if they make a mistake and believe I am, is that cause for termination? I wouldn't believe so. It is very offensive to me that a camera was installed pointed at me. Can any AP buffs give a good answer for this please and thank you.

It is very doubtful they installed a camera just for you. Target surveillance is pretty damn impressive to start with, there isn't a lot they can't see with present equipment. They wouldn't add to it.

I totally get you feeling insulted or paranoid about it too, but, if you're not doing anything wrong, don't let it bother you. Enough Target employees are stealing or do other stupid shit (look at some other posts, seriously). They don't have the spare time to spend going after someone just minding their own business and doing their job.

I noticed a camera by where I work yesterday after AP asked if I knew where something was. I have never stolen before, my question is, can AP fire me for suspecting me of theft? What if they make a mistake and believe I am, is that cause for termination? I wouldn't believe so. It is very offensive to me that a camera was installed pointed at me. Can any AP buffs give a good answer for this please and thank you.

If your not stealing then no reason to worry. Ap does investigate internals but it's not worth their time if your not stealing.

In my last 2 stores AP has gotten upgrades to increase coverage and lower gaps. They usually will also move cameras when POGs have large transitions if high dollar items get moved around. Some cameras are real some are dummies, and sometimes they upgrade or move real cameras to the dummy locations.

They aren't doing that specifically for you, in all likelihood it's one of the things above or else they have noticed an issue based on reporting that they need to investigate.

If your not stealing then no reason to worry. Ap does investigate internals but it's not worth their time if your not stealing
Exactly,as long as you are not doing anything wrong.they can have can have a dozen cameras around you,and it doesn't matter,ignore them

You work in retail, specifically Target, you are on camera all day.

If you are not stealing or causing a loss, then you have nothing to worry about. AP has to have documentation to show your causing a loss to the store to have you terminated. More than likely they are investigating another TM or doing random monitoring.

Have you had any recent issues in other areas or other TMs?

We have to have some pretty irrefutable evidence of theft before we term someone. Something like you selecting the merch, putting it into a bag, and then you exiting the store with that same bag at the end of your shift without having made a purchase, or putting cash into your pocket at the register/cash office.
As for the camera, we even have one in the AP office, watching everything we do everyday. The only areas in the store that don't have cameras are the fitting rooms, bathrooms, and the ETL offices, but the latter can change if we get corporate approval to intall one, which we only get if we have reasonable suspicion to believe the ETL is stealing.

We have to have some pretty irrefutable evidence of theft before we term someone. Something like you selecting the merch, putting it into a bag, and then you exiting the store with that same bag at the end of your shift without having made a purchase, or putting cash into your pocket at the register/cash office.
As for the camera, we even have one in the AP office, watching everything we do everyday. The only areas in the store that don't have cameras are the fitting rooms, bathrooms, and the ETL offices, but the latter can change if we get corporate approval to intall one, which we only get if we have reasonable suspicion to believe the ETL is stealing.

you ever get TMs doing embarrassing stuff on camera? Every time this topic comes up, I think about every gross thing I've ever done, thinking I was alone.

Yeah, I wouldn't overthink it. As for being insulted, unless something has changed in the last 20 years the number one cause of shrink was employees--theft, mistakes, etc. so I can't really fault the cameras.

I bet there could be a thread on hilarious stuff AP has seen TMs do on camera. Unfortunately it wouldn't be nearly as funny without (face-blurred) video.

you ever get TMs doing embarrassing stuff on camera? Every time this topic comes up, I think about every gross thing I've ever done, thinking I was alone.

I will be the first to admit there have been days I’ve worn underwear that didn’t quite live up to expectations of staying in place and had to adjust accordingly. *shrug*

AP people can go on immediate finals for wrongful apprehensions and such.

They have to be 100% clear

It is very doubtful they installed a camera just for you. Target surveillance is pretty damn impressive to start with, there isn't a lot they can't see with present equipment. They wouldn't add to it.

I totally get you feeling insulted or paranoid about it too, but, if you're not doing anything wrong, don't let it bother you. Enough Target employees are stealing or do other stupid shit (look at some other posts, seriously). They don't have the spare time to spend going after someone just minding their own business and doing their job.
Yes we would and I have installed cameras for a single specific TM. To answer the OP no you can't be fired for suspicion of theft. I won't get into specifics of the AP department but we have to have subtianiated proof to term

Re: the embarrassing stuff caught on camera - undergarment adjustments are probably pretty common. What about wildly using a broken down box to fan away noxious odors after certain people have used the restroom near pharmacy? Oy.

I am reasonably certain that the generator room doesn't have one, same goes for the backroom coolers/freezers. PMT cage definitely doesn't have one.

Dry room definitely doesn't have one. Fixture room ones are dummies.

Cue to me in the fixture room. Pretty sure both cameras in there are dummies (though the hanging one definitely doesn't work due to me accidentally hitting it with a basedeck). I have this habit of jamming out to my iPod while I clean the fixture room. Cue to awkward white boy dancing while I put away peghooks

>
I am reasonably certain that the generator room doesn't have one, same goes for the backroom coolers/freezers. PMT cage definitely doesn't have one.

Dry room definitely doesn't have one. Fixture room ones are dummies.
True...normally. I meant the only places that we can't place cameras without special permission. But if the PMT is corrupt, the whole camera strategy is screwed.

>

True...normally. I meant the only places that we can't place cameras without special permission. But if the PMT is corrupt, the whole camera strategy is screwed.

I'm confused as to how. My PMT has never touched the cameras.

I would warn anyone that thinks certain areas don’t have cameras because they only see a dummy dome.

We also have these things called covert cameras, that if installed correctly, you will not see at all.

Restrooms and fitting rooms are pretty much the only areas that are off limits for cameras.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back