Archived Firing over not selling enough red cards?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do they tell cashiers when they coach them about not getting enough red cards? Do they offer suggestions about how to improve or just tell them they need to do better? I'm sales floor, but I went through the same training with other people who stayed as just cashiers and we weren't given any tips; just shown how to scan the pamphlet if someone wanted one.

What do they tell cashiers when they coach them about not getting enough red cards? Do they offer suggestions about how to improve or just tell them they need to do better? I'm sales floor, but I went through the same training with other people who stayed as just cashiers and we weren't given any tips; just shown how to scan the pamphlet if someone wanted one.

Entirely depends on how your store leadership likes to approach it. They can either be really nasty about it and practically threaten your job, or they can give you positive feedback and coach you (positively) on ways you can do better. As a sales floor TM REDcards will not be overly stressed to you or important to your job since you will only be cashiering for backup, or on the rare occasion they give you a cashier shift.

They would probably use one case of not asking a guest about the Redcard as a reason for coaching. Technically, you can be coached for not asking that 7 year old kid buying gum to sign up for a credit card. It's really lame, but it can technically be done.

They would probably use one case of not asking a guest about the Redcard as a reason for coaching. Technically, you can be coached for not asking that 7 year old kid buying gum to sign up for a credit card. It's really lame, but it can technically be done.

Yep. It allows leadership to performance just about anyone out.

The truth is, everyone is mediocre at getting REDcards. There are a few cashiers who are able to "champion" REDcards and get numbers no one else can (invariably, there will be one or two of these at your store -- we called ours the REDcard Queen), but these cashiers are either naturally good at selling to people (most cashiers are *not* natural born salespeople), have a few tricks up their sleeve and/or are very good at making guests who don't sign up feel a little bad about it. Our REDcard queen was eventually fired because it was found out that she was being incredibly deceptive when it came to getting guests to sign up, sometimes outright lying about the benefits and telling people it was just a rewards card. She used typical salesman tricks to make REDcards look like the greatest things since sliced bread. Can't say Target does a whole lot to deter this since the damn cards matter so much to a cashier's job.

Look, I became GSA and my REDcard numbers as a cashier were not great. They aren't everything. The cashiers getting all the REDcards usually stay where they are, because why would any store want to risk losing those numbers by promoting them or moving them to other depts?

I thought this was just my store! We have a cashier who does the same thing, and she gets special treatment for being a top earner! Ugh

I felt bad every time I was forced to coach a cashier for lack of RedCards. Also, the GSTL team at my store had a goal of 3 coachings per week, with us getting one if we didn't meet our goal.

I've been trying since before Christmas to switch to salesfloor but keep getting told that they don't have hours (understandable) but I'm very stressed and frustrated about being a cashier. Some days I just don't even want to talk to anyone and to have to do it for eight hours a day is miserable. I try to get RedCards but I just don't know what to do anymore. Having the same conversation 20-30 times a day is really... really draining.

I understand totally..... Let's face it there will be some awesome days where guests will sign up no problem and then there will be some days where guests already have redcards ( recurring theme in my store) or they simply do not want one. It really is draining because you try so hard and it's so annoying because they expect you get them but you will have those not so awesome days. I try try not to let it get to me but I know in my heart I am asking every guest. Try not to let it bother you and you know in your heart you trying your best also!! Don't stress and try your best:)

I've been trying since before Christmas to switch to salesfloor but keep getting told that they don't have hours (understandable) but I'm very stressed and frustrated about being a cashier. Some days I just don't even want to talk to anyone and to have to do it for eight hours a day is miserable. I try to get RedCards but I just don't know what to do anymore. Having the same conversation 20-30 times a day is really... really draining.
Not to depress you but it took me 6 yrs and 2 previous tries to get officially on the salesfloor. I only made it because we had this one lady that worked in Market that told HR that they really needed me there. This lady's in her late 70's and NOONE argues with Miss Fran.

I was just on a lane near our "red card queen" and overheard her. She offered people to bring in their receipts from this month and to come to her lane and she will refund them the 5% from all of the receipts from this month IF they signed up with her today. Not sure if I should do something about it or just wait until someone catches on to her. We don't do price adjustments, missed coupons, wrong price etc on the lanes and only at the service desk so I am sure it will be noticed soon, that she is doing a bunch of missed coupons and wrong prices to refund the 5%.

Ah, nice. I got an "official, documented coaching" today over red cards (I thought I had to sign something, but I didn't?) because I wasn't asking guests.

Literally almost had a breakdown to the GSTL about it, but instead tried to play it cool (through choked back tears) about how I hate how no matter how good a cashier was, I'm always worth less than those who get them (and let me tell you she kept emphasizing it to hell and back that I'm an AMAZING cashier). Should have just let myself cry about how it's literally affecting my confidence and mental health worrying about how many red cards I get. Stopped asking and it felt like a weight off my shoulders. At least managed to reiterate how much I wanted to be in hardlines because fuck the red cards.

I feel you there. Apparently I'm worthless even though I have the best guest service score and am one of the fastest cashiers. But no that doesn't matter because the fact I can't get someone to sign up for a damn credit card makes me a horrible person.

Bombshell: I don't have a red card and I work at target because they are horrendous

I was just on a lane near our "red card queen" and overheard her. She offered people to bring in their receipts from this month and to come to her lane and she will refund them the 5% from all of the receipts from this month IF they signed up with her today. Not sure if I should do something about it or just wait until someone catches on to her. We don't do price adjustments, missed coupons, wrong price etc on the lanes and only at the service desk so I am sure it will be noticed soon, that she is doing a bunch of missed coupons and wrong prices to refund the 5%.

This will get her fired. Not cool.. Shady as all get out.

I know at our store we give people the 5% (just for that one transaction) if they sign up, but are not approved on the spot. We just do it as a Target coupon.

I know at our store we give people the 5% (just for that one transaction) if they sign up, but are not approved on the spot. We just do it as a Target coupon.

We sometimes do that with leadership blessing, but doing missed coupons for multiple transactions is going to pop up on a report and AP will notice if they haven't already. Shady, now leadership maybe so desperate they may keep quiet until AP comes asking questions, but that cashier is going under the bus when AP says "This isn't allowed and did you know about this?"

We sometimes do that with leadership blessing, but doing missed coupons for multiple transactions is going to pop up on a report and AP will notice if they haven't already. Shady, now leadership maybe so desperate they may keep quiet until AP comes asking questions, but that cashier is going under the bus when AP says "This isn't allowed and did you know about this?"

I'm a sales floor person so I've only had to do it like three times (only once did I do it without a leader's approval). But I'm 95% sure they just tell all the cashiers to do it. Especially since after the second time asking for approval they told me to just go ahead and I don't need to ask in the future. Hopefully the cashiers don't get in trouble for doing something they were told to do. But I can definitely see your point if it isn't actually allowed and the AP finds out and the leadership doesn't want to get I'm trouble.

Alert your leadership. That is absolutely a termable offense, and I would say something about it to your ETL-AP/APTL.

We do this too but just for that transaction if they are not approved right away. Not for past transactions like this cashier is doing.

Alert your leadership. That is absolutely a termable offense, and I would say something about it to your ETL-AP/APTL.

Thanks, I was so taken back when I found out, that I didn't even think about alerting our AP. I was thinking about alerting my GSTL but she is off today and the LOD on duty doesn't know much about cashiering, Red Cards etc. Going straight to AP is probably my best option. I can see my GSTL sweeping it under the rug because we haven't made the goal in weeks.

I'm a sales floor person so I've only had to do it like three times (only once did I do it without a leader's approval). But I'm 95% sure they just tell all the cashiers to do it. Especially since after the second time asking for approval they told me to just go ahead and I don't need to ask in the future. Hopefully the cashiers don't get in trouble for doing something they were told to do. But I can definitely see your point if it isn't actually allowed and the AP finds out and the leadership doesn't want to get I'm trouble.

We are allowed to take the 5% off as a missed coupon if they don't get approved on the spot but only for that transaction. I am pretty sure it would be easy to prove that the missed coupon was associated with a red card application but this cashier apparently refunds way too much. You can only do a missed coupon for up to 48 hours from the purchase time. I am guessing she is also doing the "wrong price" to give people money back if they come in after 48 hours. Cashiers at my store are supposed to send guests to the service desk for missed coupons and "wrong price". But if she would send the guests to the service desk, they wouldn't come back to her to sign up lol. Because she is the red card queen, she is the GSTL favorite.
I am not a red card queen but I do get red cards without bending rules and lying to guests. Luckily I got two today which means the pressure is off for a day or two. If I get 2-3 a week, my GSTL and GSA's are happy and leave me alone.

There are a few cashiers who are able to "champion" REDcards and get numbers no one else can (invariably, there will be one or two of these at your store -- we called ours the REDcard Queen), but these cashiers are either naturally good at selling to people (most cashiers are *not* natural born salespeople), have a few tricks up their sleeve and/or are very good at making guests who don't sign up feel a little bad about it.

There is a guy at our store who consistently gets more REDcards than other cashiers, but I've seen him borderline harass guests when talking about the REDcard. Once I was helping a guest with a large item on a flat so I had to stay with it while he checked her out before I helped put the item in her car. She told him she wasn't interested in the REDcard and then he said something along the lines of 'well if you aren't interested in saving money then I guess that is up to you' and he said it in a rude and demeaning way. Then is kept pushing until the end of the transaction. I felt pretty uncomfortable standing there with the flat because he was basically badgering her. I almost wanted to apologize when we left the store because she obviously was getting really annoyed at him for trying to guilt her into signing up for one. I mentioned it to other cashiers and I guess he does stuff like that a lot, but the other cashiers feel leadership doesn't care how you get a REDcard just as long as you get it done. I understand he gets REDcards which leadership likes, but I could see if being a big turnoff for people.

Edit -- misspelled a word

Last edited:
There is a guy at our store who consistently gets more REDcards than other cashiers, but I've seen him borderline harass guests when talking about the REDcard. Once I was helping a guest with a large item on a flat so I had to stay with it while he checked her out before I helped put the item in her car. She told him she wasn't interested in the REDcard and then he said something along the lines of 'well if you aren't interested in saving money then I guess that is up to you' and he said it in a rude and demeaning way. Then is kept pushing until the end of the transaction. I felt pretty uncomfortable standing there with the flat because he was basically badgering her. I almost wanted to apologize when we left the store because she obviously was getting really annoyed at him for trying to guilt her into signing up for one. I mentioned it to other cashiers and I guess he does stuff like that a lot, but the other cashiers feel leadership doesn't care how you get a REDcard just as long as you get it done. I understand he gets REDcards which leadership likes, but I could see if being a big turnoff for people.

Edit -- misspelled a word

Why should leadership call him out? This is what corporate wants. They want cashiers to be aggressive in getting REDcards. They want cashiers to shove them down everyone else's throats as hard as possible. If you can't, you're a bad cashier. And that looks bad for your GSA/GSTL, and that looks bad for your store. Everyone including leadership is getting this shit from corporate and that means doing whatever it takes to inflate scores -- including harassing guests, verbally abusing team members AND guests, pulling people into offices, firing them, etc. All this crap so Brian can afford his new mansion.

They want cashiers to be aggressive in getting REDcards.

I just feel like it might be bad in the long run if every cashier is as aggressive as that guy is. One cashier told me that she has had a couple guests actively avoid the guy I mentioned before. For example, once she had a line and suggested that the person go to the other cashier (the really aggressive guy) and the guest said no and that she would rather wait because she didn't want to deal with him asking about the REDcard (I guess the person had the guy check him out a few times before and remembered him).

I know I've stopped shopping a couple places before because they were harassing me about their store card and I just didn't want to deal with it so I found a similar store that wouldn't be so aggressive. I actually once left a makeup store without my purchase because they kept asking me for my email and after telling them no about four or five time I just left and went to a different makeup store at the other end of the mall and got the same thing. They asked me for my email there as well, but gave up after I said no twice.

So I was kind of thinking that the constant harassing might turn people off completely, but maybe its not enough people to make a difference. Or maybe other people don't change where they shop to avoid aggressive sales people like I do.

I just feel like it might be bad in the long run if every cashier is as aggressive as that guy is. One cashier told me that she has had a couple guests actively avoid the guy I mentioned before. For example, once she had a line and suggested that the person go to the other cashier (the really aggressive guy) and the guest said no and that she would rather wait because she didn't want to deal with him asking about the REDcard (I guess the person had the guy check him out a few times before and remembered him).

I know I've stopped shopping a couple places before because they were harassing me about their store card and I just didn't want to deal with it so I found a similar store that wouldn't be so aggressive. I actually once left a makeup store without my purchase because they kept asking me for my email and after telling them no about four or five time I just left and went to a different makeup store at the other end of the mall and got the same thing. They asked me for my email there as well, but gave up after I said no twice.

So I was kind of thinking that the constant harassing might turn people off completely, but maybe its not enough people to make a difference. Or maybe other people don't change where they shop to avoid aggressive sales people like I do.

Do we work at the same store?? We have a male cashier like that too, he says the exact same stuff with such a condensing voice. Some guests have told me they rather wait in a long line instead of going through his. One guest complained about him to the GSTL and she just laughed and said oh he's just doing his job :eek:

I'll give the guest the 5% once they start to apply for the RedCard because sometimes the register won't allow any changes to be made after the application is complete.

It's not as though a cashier gets a ton of cards a day, so if the cashier waits until the app is started...well, how many 5% discounts would that cashier get for the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back