Archived Firing over not selling enough red cards?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just on a lane near our "red card queen" and overheard her. She offered people to bring in their receipts from this month and to come to her lane and she will refund them the 5% from all of the receipts from this month IF they signed up with her today. Not sure if I should do something about it or just wait until someone catches on to her. We don't do price adjustments, missed coupons, wrong price etc on the lanes and only at the service desk so I am sure it will be noticed soon, that she is doing a bunch of missed coupons and wrong prices to refund the 5%.

You are not allowed to give the 5% on past purchases. That is not a go.

There is a guy at our store who consistently gets more REDcards than other cashiers, but I've seen him borderline harass guests when talking about the REDcard. Once I was helping a guest with a large item on a flat so I had to stay with it while he checked her out before I helped put the item in her car. She told him she wasn't interested in the REDcard and then he said something along the lines of 'well if you aren't interested in saving money then I guess that is up to you' and he said it in a rude and demeaning way. Then is kept pushing until the end of the transaction. I felt pretty uncomfortable standing there with the flat because he was basically badgering her. I almost wanted to apologize when we left the store because she obviously was getting really annoyed at him for trying to guilt her into signing up for one. I mentioned it to other cashiers and I guess he does stuff like that a lot, but the other cashiers feel leadership doesn't care how you get a REDcard just as long as you get it done. I understand he gets REDcards which leadership likes, but I could see if being a big turnoff for people.

Edit -- misspelled a word

I think this is standard practice at all Target stores. The problem is that cashiers can't seem to take no for an answer. I remember one time before my shift I was sitting in the break room and one of the cashiers came in and started asking people if they wanted/needed a red card. I politely said no but she still kept asking me. At that point it started to irritate me.

I think this is standard practice at all Target stores. The problem is that cashiers can't seem to take no for an answer. I remember one time before my shift I was sitting in the break room and one of the cashiers came in and started asking people if they wanted/needed a red card. I politely said no but she still kept asking me. At that point it started to irritate me.

That would have gotten a "Fuck off!" From me. In the break room, yeah no.

I've heard such abusive sales tactics from one woman and had a few guests complain about her. She tricks people, lies, never stops pressuring the guest and gets praised for it. It's sleazy but there's always going to be that one TM and the ETL's don't care as long as we're making numbers.

TM's need to know when to back off. Pissed off guests will not come back. You'd think that increasing sales would trump red card sales.

A couple if cashiers told my ETL they had guests that got really angry about them continuing to ask about RCs after the guest said no. She said, "I told them I don't care if guests get mad, and I don't care. I really don't!"
They have started writing corrective actions for our cashiers. The atmosphere in the front of the store in not FFF.

A couple if cashiers told my ETL they had guests that got really angry about them continuing to ask about RCs after the guest said no. She said, "I told them I don't care if guests get mad, and I don't care. I really don't!"
They have started writing corrective actions for our cashiers. The atmosphere in the front of the store in not FFF.

But they don't care, because someone is still making a buck.

The thing is, Target is unfortunately not the only retailer that engages in these tactics when it comes to credit cards. I know a few others, like Kohl's and Best Buy, can be pretty bad as well. I know a girl who was nearly in tears over the harassment from her superiors when she worked at Kohl's. This issue isn't just limited to Spot. All these corporations are greedy for more at the expense of employees.

Kinda like staying open until 11 pm on 4th of July? Like the extra $$ is nice. Closing early would've been nicer.

Yep. I closed GSA last year on the 4th. First year I had to miss the fireworks with my family, thanks to greedy Spot. Funnily enough, we had like 2 guests in the whole store between 9 and 11pm, so they spent more money keeping us there than they made in sales.

Thankfully I work at Lowe's and we closed at 8pm.

Is anyone else's store firing cashiers if they don't sell enough red cards? I went to pick up my coworker today when she got off work and she was talking to me about that. A gsa got fired also (signing people up and saving them 5% even if they weren't approved)

Luckily I no longer work at spot :)
We give then the discount just for applying. We don't tell them that in the beginning, but will offer if they are not immediately approved or if there is a problem with the system.

You shouldn't be. Ultimately it's against a directive from corporate and at the end of the day, if someone gets cut it's not going to be the STL.

You shouldn't be. Ultimately it's against a directive from corporate and at the end of the day, if someone gets cut it's not going to be the STL.
i guess there will be no left to run our little ULV store, as most everyone does it.

Last edited:
The other day I was shopping at a Target store not too far from mine....when I was at the checkout the cashier didn't ask the guest about a Redcard....so I already had my card out and mentioned to the guest that they ought to consider getting a Redcard....well, at this point the cashier did mention that if the guest would sign up today that there would be an extra 10% taken off.....a special just for today!
Well, the guest didn't get a Redcard and I was quite surprised that the cashier was telling the guest about the extra 10%.

While I know that we aren't supposed to give extra discounts or offer a drink from Starbucks....sometimes there just doesn't seem to be a choice...you gotta do what you gotta do....even if it isn't Target's policy.

Redcards are difficult to get at the level that store goals are set...so I understand why these illegal practices are used. At least the stores aren't taking 50% off the bill to get someone to sign up! (This happened at my store...and said TM is no longer a TM......but said TM got 250 cards in a year before being termed.)

I came back today from my twisted ankle and needless to say today was not a good day to come back. We were super busy and I didn't get any redcards and neither did 3 other cashiers so we all got pulled into the office and got verbals. Thankfully it wasn't a written coaching but still...... The ETL who yelled at all 3 of us said why didn't you get redcards all of the other cashiers got redcards and I said in my defense ( which was true) many of my guests either had a redcard or they were using giftcards or in some cases they simply didn't want one no matter how much I begged or pleaded. I can't simply leap over the counter and get down on my knees and beg...... Some cashiers are lucky and sadly the three of us weren't so lucky:(

I HATE THIS!!!
Cashier shifts can be grueling. You're stand in one place lifting, talking, smiling and desperately trying to get a REDCard.
When your shift is over, no matter how hard you tried or how FFF you were you get chewed out? You never get a, good job providing great service to our guests.
We used to be first in our district. We had competitions for cool prizes. It was fun. The prizes are gone and there is an air of desperation. The entire culture has changed.

Same we also used to be number one in the district we had red card kings and queens but of course even they can't save us so hence the constant berating. I totally agree time is definitely not your friend.. I know at least one of the frequent guests know or rather has a inkling that we get coached if we don't get so many because one day the guest said I know you have to ask me everyday or you get yelled at am I right ( I didn't say anything) if only I could've of shouted it from the rooftops and said yes we do yes we do and then the guest would've of told another person and eventually maybe it would get to spot but they'd deny it..

Then they would have to fire all of our cashiers and any of the guest first staff. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot.

Yep. So getting RCs is so vital, so important, so necessary but you're gonna fire someone who gives maybe, at most, a $5-10 discount when their app gets the dreaded "we'll get back to you in 7-10 days"? Really? But we can go ahead and give a guest a reduced price on items just because they argued the price? Or $ back when they clearly dug a receipt out of the garbage and went to find the item in the store? Cuz that makes all kinds of sense. If my GSA/TM tell me to do it, then I'm doing it. Otherwise, maybe corporate needs to change their MO about RCs.

Same we also used to be number one in the district we had red card kings and queens but of course even they can't save us so hence the constant berating. I totally agree time is definitely not your friend.. I know at least one of the frequent guests know or rather has a inkling that we get coached if we don't get so many because one day the guest said I know you have to ask me everyday or you get yelled at am I right ( I didn't say anything) if only I could've of shouted it from the rooftops and said yes we do yes we do and then the guest would've of told another person and eventually maybe it would get to spot but they'd deny it..

I've told the guest that we are 'required' to do our RC pitch. When asked if I have a quota, I would also confirm that for the guest as well. If I am given a slip of paper at the start of my shift telling me how many I need to get, yes, I have a quota!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back