Archived Firing over not selling enough red cards?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What?! 3.5%? I don't think my store would have any cashiers left if that were still a requirement.

3.5% was a joke at my store. We got so many prompts that we would've had to get a ton of Red Cards to even come close to 3.5%. Also, the ETLs-GE we had back then wouldn't coach over stupid shit like that; only if you weren't asking.

I haven't gotten a red card in like 2 months and I barely, rarely ever ask. They talked to me about it a long time ago, but now it seems like they don't care. I always give them 5% off just for trying to apply even if they aren't approved. My GSA tells me to do that always.

I always give them 5% off just for trying to apply even if they aren't approved. My GSA tells me to do that always.

This seems to be the case at my store as well. Our RedCard apps have skyrocketed over the past couple weeks and I thought this was a bit strange. I'm sales floor, so I don't know all of the conversations that go on between GSAs and the GSTL, but I eventually figured out that they were giving the 5% off even if they weren't approved. I looked into it and it's 100% against policy to do this.

No one at my store seems to care though. The GSAs are treated like heroes for breaking the rules and artificially inflating numbers but those of us sweating our ass off on the sales floor are being called out for the dumbest things. Frankly, I hope this spike in numbers sends a red flag to AP and they look into this, even if it does nothing more than scare the crap out of the people that are doing it.

And not that I think it will change the way we do things, but a part of me hopes that the whole Wells Fargo thing gets Target to reconsider their stance toward hounding cashiers about Red Cards, but that's just me dreaming.

I get like 2 a week which in target world is really bad of course.. They'd like you to get at least 4 a week but 2 is very very just meh you aren't trying. Know I know they make those threats of well you know they'll fire you but seriously they can't fire you. They can fire you if you aren't performing well not meeting expectations but they can't " fire you over redcards. It would take many many writtens and several verbals to reach that and even then it would like I said they would have documentions before they even got that far.

Is anyone else's store firing cashiers if they don't sell enough red cards? I went to pick up my coworker today when she got off work and she was talking to me about that. A gsa got fired also (signing people up and saving them 5% even if they weren't approved)

Luckily I no longer work at spot :)
I guess it varies by store. We usually let the guest save 5% just by signing up

And I think THAT is the issue with many people. 5% is crap. With Target's data breach, people are still kinda leery...even with the chip card (which absolutely sucks, btw). And even if the debit card is a better choice than a high-interest cc, who carries blank checks with them anymore? So you get a guest sold on the idea of a debit card and then you say, "I'll need a blank check" and the whole thing is shut down. This is happened to me so many times and it's really aggravating.
And that's where a huge issue comes in. Not every cashier/gsa/GSTL pushes online red cards. If they do not have a blank check the next thing that should be said is " well you can always apply online at Target.com/apply" and inform them that a blank check isn't the only way to apply. So many people do not know that and it increases your stores count at the end of the night, if they are near your store. Yes I wish there was another way, like being able too swipe your card and be able to sign up, but that would open another can of issues regarding security and such.

You're not saving money. You're just getting 5% more stuff. If something is $500 and you get it for $400, you didn't save $100....you spent $400.

All we can do is inform guests about the card. If Target expects more beyond that, then they need to hire sales people to be at the registers, not cashiers.

Regardless of what your GSTLs tell you, remember one thing. You can NOT be fired for not getting Red Cards. However you can be for not asking guests. So ignore whatever scary nonsense you're told. Just ask and educate and don't worry about the numbers to a point where it causes you stress.
They do not have to fire you. They can give you the minimum hours though. Here if you do not perform your hours drop. And they made it clear to people who are consistent on not performing, store wide, that the minimum they have to give is 4 hours a week. That alone gets people out the door without unemployment. And AT will employment states they can fire for just about anything

@aj76257 Yeah I've said it before and I'll say it again, RCs are my least favorite part of the job. If you end up spending most of your time as service desk though, then you can probably get by without RedCards. ASANTS though. Also a couple years back, target rated cashiers by conversion percentage instead of # of cards. Their percentage requirement was 3.5%, compared to that my 1% is a god-send. If everyone does 1%, we meet our weekly goal easy.
It's for some reason I seem to get more red cards at Guest service. Had 6 one day at Guest service, and ended up with $20 in gift cards as a reward.

They do not have to fire you. They can give you the minimum hours though. Here if you do not perform your hours drop. And they made it clear to people who are consistent on not performing, store wide, that the minimum they have to give is 4 hours a week. That alone gets people out the door without unemployment. And AT will employment states they can fire for just about anything

Yeah, that's not happening. If you're getting performanced out like that, you're probably a shitty employee in general. If that weren't the case, you would be getting moved into other departments, assuming you made the effort of asking.

Yeah, that's not happening. If you're getting performanced out like that, you're probably a shitty employee in general. If that weren't the case, you would be getting moved into other departments, assuming you made the effort of asking.

You don't get how petty some people can be. It's very real.

I would love just 4 hours a week. A few extra bucks, and the discount I miss so terribly!

(Remember, I got another gig)

If they do not have a blank check the next thing that should be said is " well you can always apply online at Target.com/apply" and inform them that a blank check isn't the only way to apply. So many people do not know that and it increases your stores count at the end of the night, if they are near your store. .

I know that's an option but tbh...why would I want them to go online when *everyone* makes a huge deal about my individual red card tallys? I mean..sure, in the grand scheme of things it's all the same to the store but when my GSTL is keeping track of daily/monthly/yearly red card totals per cashier? Yeah...I'm not going to encourage an online sign-up.

I know that's an option but tbh...why would I want them to go online when *everyone* makes a huge deal about my individual red card tallys? I mean..sure, in the grand scheme of things it's all the same to the store but when my GSTL is keeping track of daily/monthly/yearly red card totals per cashier? Yeah...I'm not going to encourage an online sign-up.
Because even if it doesn't count for you it counts for the store in given circumstances. When the store is green they are going to hound you less, and be happier. And if you miss the goals by just a few they get more strict about red cards, and those online can help. Also mentioning it is apart of your job. Like it or not it is.

I've seen some really awesome Team members have this happen to them because they were not getting red cards or not even trying. And they are more likely to see you can not perform well in this work center and not move you departments. They can do that, but can not say you are too good in this department and refuse a transfer because of that reason.

I would love just 4 hours a week. A few extra bucks, and the discount I miss so terribly!

(Remember, I got another gig)
Well yeah but not everyone has other jobs to be able too. Alot of people if they see 4 hours they are gone

Mentioning a red card is part of my job. Pushing an online signup is not.
wellllllll.....not necessarily...during the interview process there's a question..i think it's the third one we ask, it says something to the fact that, will you promote ALL target products and educate guests on things Target has to offer them and blah blah blah and things of that nature and then you answer yes or no....whoever is working at Target currently said yes. :rolleyes:

This is true one of our cashiers is slow but she gets 12-15 red cards a week so the ETL-GE always makes sure she gets her 40.

Last edited:
Well yeah but not everyone has other jobs to be able too. Alot of people if they see 4 hours they are gone

I understand that. My old store wouldn't let me work just 1 day a week, or I would have stayed.
My point was, if my store set me at 4 hours a week, I would have been cool with that.

Unfortunately, unless you are a TL, you can't rely on Target as your only source of income.

I understand that. My old store wouldn't let me work just 1 day a week, or I would have stayed.
My point was, if my store set me at 4 hours a week, I would have been cool with that.

Unfortunately, unless you are a TL, you can't rely on Target as your only source of income.
We have a GSA who only works 1 day per week, and a few TMs too. I have 1 in Starbucks, and it works out just fine. Your old store's loss, I guess.

We have a GSA who only works 1 day per week, and a few TMs too. I have 1 in Starbucks, and it works out just fine. Your old store's loss, I guess.

So true, my store values people with another job -- when we don't have shifts for them they are the least likely to complain about it.

They are working on a law in my state to require them to give you 3 weeks notice of your future shifts

Mentioning a red card is part of my job. Pushing an online signup is not.

IIRC Cobycord is correct and They did tell you in every role you are expected to push Target Products, including the red card, and Mentioning Online is included on that. As well as Cartwheel andOUr streaming service while it lasted. If you said yes to that, and you refuse to mention onlines applications that is lying on an interview, and should get you fired. It takes almost no effort to mention Online red cards. Not 5 Seconds. Sounds like Laziness to me

wellllllll.....not necessarily...during the interview process there's a question..i think it's the third one we ask, it says something to the fact that, will you promote ALL target products and educate guests on things Target has to offer them and blah blah blah and things of that nature and then you answer yes or no....whoever is working at Target currently said yes. :rolleyes:
I would be happy to do all this once Target takes the time to educate me on all things it has to offer.

Sounds like Laziness to me

Mmmkay. I'll take that under advisement but since I am the leader in red cards at my store, I'm fairly confident I won't be fired anytime soon. And I was hired as a seasonal and at no time was the selling of red cards ever mentioned in the actual interview.

I feel so bad for my friends who are still at Spot! This Redcard shit is terrible! Yes asking and signing people up is part of the job but you can NOT force people to sign up for a credit or debit card!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back