Archived Firing over not selling enough red cards?

Status
Not open for further replies.
See, I don't like the market saturation argument because most markets' Red Card Sales % is only like 13%. I'm in school for business economics and that's just not saturated yet. :/ But I'm sure there are some stores with a stupid high penetration rate.

Still an argument that can be made tho

I mean I guess, but I don't let my cashiers use it when only 15% tops of our guests have the card. (You figure if 13% use it, maybe 15% have it. ) The conversion rate that I expect out of my cashiers is...wait for it...a whopping 1%.

Not a GSTL here, but when cashiers are worried about getting reds, I tell them that they can't look at it day by day, but more like on a monthly basis. You can definitely have a bad day or two, but if you are asking every guest, you will open red cards. You just will. And by ask, I mean make eye contact, be friendly, and mention a benefit--not mumble about it while looking down scanning mdse.

I think another problem is that more people would like to use the debit card but they don't have blank checks. Sure they can sign up online and use a routing number but I guess it has to be sold directly for it to count?
Not a lot of people wanna sign up for the credit card. More and more people are becoming aware of the financial damage those things can cause. Shit. I know a guy who got himself into thousands of dollars in debt with his Best Buy card.
I don't think I'm ever going to cover a casher shift again lol. I've never liked those to begin with but extra hours shouldn't be worth three coachings and a write up

If Target would give better incentives to guests, I think we'd get more redcards. Bribing me with Starbucks won't make a guest want a redcard. But giving them an extra 5% or 10% for signing up might.

my first cashier shift is tomorrow. I want to make sure I know my cash and card transactions.
cash transactions---- scan scan scan, hit total, hit k1 (pay with cash) and type amount customer gave you and press enter?
card transactions-- scan scan scan, hit total, and then just wait for customer to swipe their card?
is that correct?

I think another problem is that more people would like to use the debit card but they don't have blank checks. Sure they can sign up online and use a routing number but I guess it has to be sold directly for it to count?
Not a lot of people wanna sign up for the credit card. More and more people are becoming aware of the financial damage those things can cause. Shit. I know a guy who got himself into thousands of dollars in debt with his Best Buy card.
I don't think I'm ever going to cover a casher shift again lol. I've never liked those to begin with but extra hours shouldn't be worth three coachings and a write up

Millennials are credit adverse so they won't apply for a credit card and while they have checking accounts, they don't use paper checks. Not that they don't have a check with them, they don't have ANY.

Seniors usually have all the cards they want, but sometimes you can snag one.

Best shot is an 18-19 y/o who doesn't understand how credit works and that applying isn't the best thing to be doing without a reliable income. Someone in their 40s-50s is usually good as they are in their prime income earning years and home owners to boot.

At least, this has been my experience in getting 1-2 cards in a 5.5 hr. shift; or more if there were incentives being offered.

If Target would give better incentives to guests, I think we'd get more redcards. Bribing me with Starbucks won't make a guest want a redcard. But giving them an extra 5% or 10% for signing up might.
One of our older TMs suggested 10% upon opening the card, 5% on purchases thereafter, give a pair of reusable bags to continue passive adverts for Target, mail out occasional coupons/offers good only with use of redcard.
Make it worth their while.

One of our older TMs suggested 10% upon opening the card, 5% on purchases thereafter, give a pair of reusable bags to continue passive adverts for Target, mail out occasional coupons/offers good only with use of redcard.

All of this is good....especially the special coupons/offers if you have a redcard. It only makes sense. I get a "best customer bonus" for my grocery card. It would be smart for Target to give something similar a couple times a year to their "best customers" who use the redcard.

See, I don't like the market saturation argument because most markets' Red Card Sales % is only like 13%. I'm in school for business economics and that's just not saturated yet. :/ But I'm sure there are some stores with a stupid high penetration rate.
How is the company defining market? Is it all people in a geographic area, or, people in that geographical area who are willing to shop at Target? I only backup the front end (sometimes for hours) and the guests who use a REDcard (seems to me) to be more than 13%.

How is the company defining market? Is it all people in a geographic area, or, people in that geographical area who are willing to shop at Target? I only backup the front end (sometimes for hours) and the guests who use a REDcard (seems to me) to be more than 13%.
Well the 13% is just true for my store. Without working in corporate, the most you can find out about a market is looking at the district level. So for example I can see the Red Card Sales % number for every store in my district. So yah in this case the 'market' is either the store or the district depending on the scope you want.

@Bosch Well...no certainly not. But honestly in 4 years at target I haven't seen a cashier who constantly is underperforming with RedCards keep their position. Especially now with vibe being gone, it's more of a focus than ever.

Millennials are credit adverse so they won't apply for a credit card and while they have checking accounts, they don't use paper checks. Not that they don't have a check with them, they don't have ANY.

Seniors usually have all the cards they want, but sometimes you can snag one.

Best shot is an 18-19 y/o who doesn't understand how credit works and that applying isn't the best thing to be doing without a reliable income. Someone in their 40s-50s is usually good as they are in their prime income earning years and home owners to boot.

At least, this has been my experience in getting 1-2 cards in a 5.5 hr. shift; or more if there were incentives being offered.
In my observation, the majority of pepole who have or are at least more inclined to want one are middle class soccer moms or younger, mid-twentiesish parents who have babies.
You're right about millenials though. We don't carry checks and we tend to not touch credit cards. You'd be hard pressed to sell them to people my age

I have been told that for a on-line redcard to count it has to be done on a store ipad or the guest needs to be in the same zip code as the store. So even if I were to apply on line at home, it would count to a sister store. Cause my zip code is about 4 stores over from the one I work at.

I actually cut my red card up.. I got tired of the inconsistent posting times of transactions to my account. If they all took a day or three days fine. But there was no consistency to how they posted or in what order they posted.

My bank rawks... red card purchases are posted the next day.

I just got home from a nearly 10 hour long cashier shift. Holy shit do I need to vent.
I mean I guess, but I don't let my cashiers use it when only 15% tops of our guests have the card. (You figure if 13% use it, maybe 15% have it. ) The conversion rate that I expect out of my cashiers is...wait for it...a whopping 1%.
1% is pushing it. There's only one person at my store who can actually do that. Everyone else is below.
You can definitely have a bad day or two, but if you are asking every guest, you will open red cards.
Eventually. But eventually can be a very long time.
And by ask, I mean make eye contact, be friendly, and mention a benefit--not mumble about it while looking down scanning mdse.
It's kind of hard to make eye contact with people when they don't at you. Am I supposed to snap my fingers to get their attention and make sure they listen?
You just described me, lol.
Well...no certainly not. But honestly in 4 years at target I haven't seen a cashier who constantly is underperforming with RedCards keep their position. Especially now with vibe being gone, it's more of a focus than ever.
Well, fuck. Guess I should start looking for another job.
I actually cut my red card up.. I got tired of the inconsistent posting times of transactions to my account. If they all took a day or three days fine. But there was no consistency to how they posted or in what order they posted.
That's really weird. It usually only takes a day for me, and I use a credit union instead of a big bank.

Basically, this is how I feel right now:
FUCK RED CARDS.

my first cashier shift is tomorrow. I want to make sure I know my cash and card transactions.
cash transactions---- scan scan scan, hit total, hit k1 (pay with cash) and type amount customer gave you and press enter?
card transactions-- scan scan scan, hit total, and then just wait for customer to swipe their card?
is that correct?

Yup cashiering is idiot proof.

@aj76257 Yeah I've said it before and I'll say it again, RCs are my least favorite part of the job. If you end up spending most of your time as service desk though, then you can probably get by without RedCards. ASANTS though. Also a couple years back, target rated cashiers by conversion percentage instead of # of cards. Their percentage requirement was 3.5%, compared to that my 1% is a god-send. If everyone does 1%, we meet our weekly goal easy.

Not a GSTL here, but when cashiers are worried about getting reds, I tell them that they can't look at it day by day, but more like on a monthly basis. You can definitely have a bad day or two, but if you are asking every guest, you will open red cards. You just will. And by ask, I mean make eye contact, be friendly, and mention a benefit--not mumble about it while looking down scanning mdse.
This doesn't fly when you have stores that will talk to cashiers on a daily or weekly basis if they did not get a red card.

A monthly basis would be nice. My store gives us our speed and Redcard metrics every week.
@aj76257 Yeah I've said it before and I'll say it again, RCs are my least favorite part of the job. If you end up spending most of your time as service desk though, then you can probably get by without RedCards. ASANTS though. Also a couple years back, target rated cashiers by conversion percentage instead of # of cards. Their percentage requirement was 3.5%, compared to that my 1% is a god-send. If everyone does 1%, we meet our weekly goal easy.
What?! 3.5%? I don't think my store would have any cashiers left if that were still a requirement.

Back in the day Target offered 10% off that first purchase when you sold a red card, my electronic shifts I would always get 2 or 3 from people buying a console or computer.

"You don't keep your area clean? You let guests get away with coupon fraud? You play with your phone instead of work? Nahhh we should keep you because you sell REDcards :D:D:D:D:D:D "
Jesus christ this is why I'm not front end

One of many reasons I declined the GSTL position when I was on the TL bench...F that noise. The only other has been FA TL...and also...F that because I could just go work at some fast food place making more money

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back