Archived first day of training help

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm new to this forum and had some questions about cashier back up training because i'm going into sales floor. Today i started my first day of training as a cashier i did some training watched a video and also practiced on the register. My supervisor put me in express i was a little slow at first but i got used to it then they put me in the main front cashier line where i didn't do so well... by well i mean i was struggling often and had to call my supervisor over to help me. One of the guest bought 154 cans of cat food which took awhile to package it. my main issue, ill give and example a guest today came to me with this tv for 539.00 and she was claiming it was 239.00 which was complete out of the reasonable so i tried getting my supervisor but she was already busy and other employees were busy cause of halloween day. So i went and check electronics and the tv said 539.00 so i came back and the guest was furious calling me a liar and she was going to get me fired and she left the store. Will i get terminated? i was polite and respectful but how do you deal with people like this on a regular basis? It was my first day with very little experience.

Also before my shift was over a man came up with 2 coolers i looked inside both of them like i was trained and found a sony dvd player in one, He claimed he didn't know it was in there and was acting very strange. Was this a test ? or was he trying to steal ?

Sounds like you're doing fine.
You are following procedure and for the first day got hit with some of the nasties.

Of course, the real question is how many surveys and red cards did you get?

I offered if they wanted to open a Red card account when it prompted on my screen but out all the customers i had they already had one or said no.

You were correct to think the TV price the guest quoted was unreasonable. But if you are cashiering, and even when the GSTL/GSA is busy, you need to stay on the lanes. You can also help by speeding things up by communicating to the salesfloor, or in this case electronics, by calling the operator to have the dept call your lane or call over the walkie.

When you leave a guest at the lanes, they can easily walk out with the merchandise unpaid. Or they can become more uneasy/vocal because they are not getting direct attention. And it can cause the GSTL/GSA to be alarmed when they see a cashier has left.

AFA the cooler/DVD, it could have been a test, but chances are he was trying to steal it. GTC to you for catching it either way.

On the TV, the only thing you might have done differently would have been to wait for the LOD to deal with the guest. $300 is too much of a difference to be "reasonable", though, so, another GTC for sticking to your guns. :good:

It sounds to me like you did just fine. I wouldn't worry too much about not getting any red cards on your first night. You'll get turned down more often than not...

Instead of leaving the lane to check, put your blinking light on & wait. If the GSTL doesn't notice, another TL or the LOD will & they'll walkie the GSTL "blinker on lane XX".
Great job catching the DVD player. Also make sure you check the inside & under on carts. We had a guy stack some action figures under the kiddie seat then put his bags in front of them. He also had some liquid Tide (almost the same color as the cart) underneath. I caught both when I put the last of the bags in.
Guests will also argue & be nasty in an effort to intimidate you in hopes you'll cave in to their (unreasonable) demands.

You were correct to think the TV price the guest quoted was unreasonable. But if you are cashiering, and even when the GSTL/GSA is busy, you need to stay on the lanes. You can also help by speeding things up by communicating to the salesfloor, or in this case electronics, by calling the operator to have the dept call your lane or call over the walkie.

When you leave a guest at the lanes, they can easily walk out with the merchandise unpaid. Or they can become more uneasy/vocal because they are not getting direct attention. And it can cause the GSTL/GSA to be alarmed when they see a cashier has left.

This!

The only thing that I would encourage you to do in the future if you have another cooler/dvd incident is write down what time it occurred at (as accurately as possible) and what lane you were on and give it to AP or someone that will get that info to them ie GSTL, LOD... That way AP can look into their previous transactions if they paid in a traceable method (which most do) and see if they have stolen from us before.

Who knows, if it leads to a recovery they might get you some kind of reward!

The only thing that I would encourage you to do in the future if you have another cooler/dvd incident is write down what time it occurred at (as accurately as possible) and what lane you were on and give it to AP or someone that will get that info to them ie GSTL, LOD... That way AP can look into their previous transactions if they paid in a traceable method (which most do) and see if they have stolen from us before.

Who knows, if it leads to a recovery they might get you some kind of reward!

I did the same exact thing with a couple highly suspected of using stolen credit cards to buy visa/amex gift cards. I got a description 3 months before I personally dealt with them by my favorite GSTL, and sure enough. One night when she and I were both closing said two people came in my line. Their sheer friendliness made me suspect. Then I remembered the description and both matched it to a T. After finishing up with these "guests" (i.e. thieves), I wrote the time, and register on my hand in pen (why I do this is beyond me), then I called my GSTL on the walkie (I was taken off a register to zone the checklanes, this was near closing time). She congratulated me after informing AP and I got sbux requisitioned for me the next time she worked.

Welcome to the forum.
Fun first day huh?

You were fine for questioning the TV price, but you should have either called the operator or if you know electronics ext. called them (or guest service for that matter) as she was probably trying to scam the store with the price. A lot of thieves will go to new employees or the ones that they do not recognize in hopes to getting away with things that you have already seen.

And like others have said you should report that DVD incident to your AP team, it could have been a coincidence that someone put that there in the past in hopes to steal it or that could have been a real theft attempt, you never really know.

For every one nasty guest you will have 50 great ones. It sounds like you paid attention in your training. You asked about Target cards, you looked inside large items and you followed the rules about empowerment and being reasonable. Keep asking about the Target card. A good opening line is simply "did you know you could save 5% on every purchase at Target (be sure to emphasize the word every!) It sounds like you are on your way to becoming a great cashier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back