How is this any different from it lying on the floor in the backroom or on the floor on the salesfloor. The clothing doesn't always come in plastic bags in Target's own repacks.
Well, to be fair just because the clothes dont always get treated right before we pack them doesnt mean we send them to guests haphazardly. I find something on the backroom floor I dust it off and pack it properly so it's not worse off, risking a pissy guest.

How is this any different from it lying on the floor in the backroom or on the floor on the salesfloor. The clothing doesn't always come in plastic bags in Target's own repacks.

Because just dumping it into a box wouldn't make for a positive guest experience. For the guest experience they should be receiving folded and prepped softlines items.

Do you at least prep them if they're going into a box with hardlines items? There'd certainly be a risk of dirt and damage otherwise when the boxes inevitably get crushed and battered around.

...I always prep clothing because you dont know if the packaging is going to rip and/or get wet and the prep bag is an extra layer of protection.

We only put softlines in a bag if it’s going into a box with chemicals. Otherwise it goes in loose with the air bubbles as filler.

If the mailer is going to get ripped no doubt the much cheaper prep bag will too.

Also as a guest, it does just make me feel better cleanliness wise when it comes in the extra bag. I know it doesn't make a real difference but it definitely feels like a better experience.

Meanwhile, the same shirt I'm neatly folding and wasting extra plastic bags on was just run over by a guest cart on the floor before I picked it. Seems paradoxical.

When I order clothes online I always expect them to be bagged before packed. It makes me feel warm and cozy inside, like I recurved a special item that was specially selected just for me and was treated gently. Having worked Fulfillment I know what really happens. So now when I get items that are prepped I know someone paid attention to detail and wanted me to receive my items as pristinely ad possible. When I open the bag/box and everything is just dumped in it feels like they don’t care and it just feels more hostile. Almost like it’s saying Fuck you for ordering online.

When I order clothes online I always expect them to be bagged before packed. It makes me feel warm and cozy inside, like I recurved a special item that was specially selected just for me and was treated gently. Having worked Fulfillment I know what really happens. So now when I get items that are prepped I know someone paid attention to detail and wanted me to receive my items as pristinely ad possible. When I open the bag/box and everything is just dumped in it feels like they don’t care and it just feels more hostile. Almost like it’s saying Fuck you for ordering online.
I tend to agree

So... yeah the new prep thing is... interesting. I mean, for me it wasn't really too bad, considering I prep all clothes/certain chem/hba items anyway. I just prepped all of them first and then went through the scanning of them. There were some that wanted us to prep them that I didn't think needed it considering they were in a box already.

It's been crazy busy the past few days, where orders are dropping for 3 different days. I alone packed over 500 units today, and we are already in the triple digits for tomorrow and the next day. Insane.

I'm not sure, I have never seen it drop for 3 days before until these past few days, but I've only been there since July, so maybe someone more seasoned has experienced this and can shed some light? It was odd to me. Especially when there were already 500+ for the second day, but not the first. Strange.

Hey has anyone got new printer if so can you provide a picture of prints an say whats so different?
Are there newer printers than the zebra ones that print just a shipping label or is that the one that you’re asking for? 😋

Probly that one
I don’t quite have a photo on me - but the new printers are loaded with rolls of sticky paper with backing rather than sheets of paper like a standard printer. When you’re finished packing, the printer only prints a gift slip (if applicable) and then shipping label (no packing slip), and both are automatically peeled from the backer as they come out of the printer - ready to stick onto the box! (If a gift slip prints out, you want to use the small pads of paper that come with the machines... stick the gift slip to a slip of paper and stick it inside the box.) The printer won’t print the next label until the first one is pulled out also.

it really is a lot faster & more efficient, I really like them! Once you get a hang of loading the rolls into the printer correctly you’ll like it a lot more

I don’t quite have a photo on me - but the new printers are loaded with rolls of sticky paper with backing rather than sheets of paper like a standard printer. When you’re finished packing, the printer only prints a gift slip (if applicable) and then shipping label (no packing slip), and both are automatically peeled from the backer as they come out of the printer - ready to stick onto the box! (If a gift slip prints out, you want to use the small pads of paper that come with the machines... stick the gift slip to a slip of paper and stick it inside the box.) The printer won’t print the next label until the first one is pulled out also.

it really is a lot faster & more efficient, I really like them! Once you get a hang of loading the rolls into the printer correctly you’ll like it a lot more
Intresting we haven't gotten ours yet but have the hexal wrap

Why are units dropping 3 days in advance? It's nice to see for planning, but is a change. We're at 600+ each day for Thurs, Fri, Sat.
My understanding is stores out west are overwhelmed and out of stock on things due to panic buying of sanitizer, wipes, etc. So lots of orders are being funneled around the country, more so than usual i guess.

We only put softlines in a bag if it’s going into a box with chemicals. Otherwise it goes in loose with the air bubbles as filler.

If the mailer is going to get ripped no doubt the much cheaper prep bag will too.
Packing guidlines say clothing always gets prepped in prep bags. Also the new prep app will ask you to put all clothing in prep bags. So i dont understand the logic, unless sabotaging the guest experience is the goal.

Packing guidlines say clothing always gets prepped in prep bags. Also the new prep app will ask you to put all clothing in prep bags. So i dont understand the logic, unless sabotaging the guest experience is the goal.
just trying to cut corners is all it seems to me.

just trying to cut corners is all it seems to me.

Nope. Just saving on unnecessary waste. It’s like buying a bag of chips and putting them in a plastic bag to carry out.

And yeah, the new prep app is micromanaging. We’ve had it for a month. We prep the carts as we pick though so we just breeze through the app. Scan item and scan back into the subcart location.

Nope. Just saving on unnecessary waste. It’s like buying a bag of chips and putting them in a plastic bag to carry out.

And yeah, the new prep app is micromanaging. We’ve had it for a month. We prep the carts as we pick though so we just breeze through the app. Scan item and scan back into the subcart location.
I don’t get paid enough to question how Target wants me to prep items lol

Something Cool and Good Target could do is actually send supplies in a consistent and reliable way. Sure, we have plenty of 126s for the morons who buy one bag of chips or one eyeliner, but can't put lamps in those!

Oh and there is already a new supply order sheet with the items for the new printers on Sharepoint. I printed them out for my team so we have them when needed.

In other news my ETL gave me the questions for my upcoming interview for a promotion. I'm equal parts excited and nervous. Let the prep begin! Lol

Last edited:
Back