Archived Flow Team & Box Cutters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a simple question. Can you use your own box cutter. It doesn't say anything in the handbook that i have to use the small/slim box cutter they give you. The box cutter that is given to you is out dated and a danger to yourself. I would like to use my own flip blade and can't get a real answer to why i'm not allowed to use it.

You are supposed to use the 'equipment provided by the company'.
If you get hurt using something you brought in than they can actually walk away from the cost of fixing you.
I used my own box cutter but I called it a 'signing tool' and always carried a regular box cutter with me at all times.

And welcome to The Break Room.

You are supposed to use the 'equipment provided by the company'.
If you get hurt using something you brought in than they can actually walk away from the cost of fixing you.
I used my own box cutter but I called it a 'signing tool' and always carried a regular box cutter with me at all times.

And welcome to The Break Room.

I just had this discussion yesterday with our LOD regarding a backroom tm. The LOD didn't see it as a problem. I think the LOD needs to check with HR. How can it NOT be a liability issue?

I guess the best way to go about it would to be to call the main office. How many time have you cut a finger tip when reaching for the blade that was provided by Target.

You can certainly get away with it, maybe your leadership won't even care. Your DTL probably will and any bigwigs that may come around while you're out and about. You're only allowed to use the standard blade they give you. The only way you can use something else is if you have a doctor's note.

If you carry a box cutter, put it inside one of those toothbrush holders from the travel-size aisle in HBA. Then you can keep it in your pocket without cutting your leg open.

Had a flow TM that had one of those retractable belt clip things. Not sure where he got it though.

I'm not a Flow TM myself, but when I first started I could never find a box cutter; so I just use my keys to open boxes instead to avoid wasting time and hassle trying to find a cutter lying around. Less likely to injure myself as well, and works just as effectively.

I'm not a Flow TM myself, but when I first started I could never find a box cutter; so I just use my keys to open boxes instead to avoid wasting time and hassle trying to find a cutter lying around. Less likely to injure myself as well, and works just as effectively.

I had a TM who transferred to a store in another state. They were amazed that she could open up boxes without a box cutter. As she pointed out..when you don't actually have them to use (only flow and backroom have them in my store), you learn pretty quickly to do without.

I refuse to use our box cutters; I don't get along with sharp edges in general, and our box cutters are beyond unsafe. I use a pen, my fingers, or keys. People look at me funny, but I'll take two extra seconds per box over ripped pants and cut fingers any day.

The people who claim they don't want to use the blades provided to us are... weird. They say the Target ones have caused them to cut themselves X many times (usually "5 times that day!!")

... seriously, what are you doing with the blade to hit yourself so many times? I've been at Target five years, and I can only recall twice that I've cut myself.

The blades are cheap and unsafe to use. I was provided with a blade that slides open. So everytime i go to reach for it. It would be open. With a flip blade. I'm not going to put it back in my pocket open.

I carry two pocket knives on me (one for box cutting and one for larger cutting tasks). I used this combination for two years before I got a talking to about them from one TL. I ignored her talking to because she's literally the only one that cares. My STL doesn't even care. There are a few reasons why I don't like box cutters. They're dangerous, especially because the one's we're provided open and close freely. At the same time they still dull fast and finding a new blade is a pain. I often lose them too, or other tm's borrow them or don't give them back. My knives only open when I want them to, I can touch them up on a grind stone when they get dull, and because they're $40 and $100+ dollar knives respectively, they don't get lost, and they sure do get returned when I loan them out. I'm careful with knives anyway. I can count on one hand how many times I've cut myself ever.

So, officially, you're not supposed to, but more than likely nobody at your store will care. If you cut your finger off though, they aren't liable, so don't cut your fingers off.

The blades are cheap and unsafe to use. I was provided with a blade that slides open. So everytime i go to reach for it. It would be open. With a flip blade. I'm not going to put it back in my pocket open.

Just pull the blade holder out of the metal sleeve, bend it a little and reinsert. Now there's a little more resistance to sliding in or out

I bought one of http://www.target.com/p/utility-knif-folding-quick-change/-/A-14773908#?lnk=sc_qi_detaillink those in the hardware aisle for $5. Most of the TLs and ETLs and I think the STL have seen me use it at smart huddles and haven't really commented. Was borne partially of the fact that I could never track down a damn baby box cutter when I needed one, and partially because I had issues with it sliding open in my pocket/getting dull in 20 minutes/not being able to find a replacement blade/being crappy and useless.

When I started at Target, I used the box cutter knife they gave me. I thought it was moronic given that the only way I could put it away and find it again is putting it in my back pocket. I couldn't leave it in the isle because someone's child might find it and cut themsleves and someone else. Thanks to an uncle I found a solution (especially after management complained that I should stop pulling my knife out of the back pocket and putting it back in).

I got a key chain and a retractable knife that automatically closes when I'm done.

Now, I get the job done faster. People thought I was a serial killer when I purchased it at my store.

Like TiedAndDropped said, bend the bottom end out to prevent the box cutter from opening. It doesn't always work perfectly, but it's an improvement. Another suggestion: Put your cheap Target-issued box cutter on the floor and stomp on it a few times to flatten out the case, this will also make it harder for the blade to open while in your pocket.

Using a magnet inside your shirt or pocket to hold the box cutter on the outside is also popular at my store; using a backstock clip's magnet is something new to me but sounds like a great idea. I have someone at my store who wears his box cutter in the middle of his chest because he has a magnet on the inside of his shirt to hold it.

My fiancee used to work at Target as well, she had her SFT/facilities guy punch or drill a hole in the bottom of the handle, then she bought one of those retractable keychains and had her cutter hanging by it attached to her belt. Her SFT did that for most of her flowteam, it was a pretty popular option.

I know a long-term flow TM who has his own high-end box cutter, as well as our signing TM has a multi-tool with a knife she wears on her belt. It's my understanding that both of these are against Target policy but they work hard and have never been harassed about it. I also have to assume they know to be low-key with those items when the higher-ups are around, just to avoid raising questions.

I had a TM who transferred to a store in another state. They were amazed that she could open up boxes without a box cutter. As she pointed out..when you don't actually have them to use (only flow and backroom have them in my store), you learn pretty quickly to do without.

Yeah, we rarely have box cutters laying around at the front end, so we often use a pen to open boxes.

I've been in various aspects of Logistics for 4+ years and with Target for a lot longer than that and I've never cut myself or my pants with the company issued box cutters. If you are cutting your pants or yourself while reaching into your pockets to get the blade, why the hell aren't you retracting the blade before you put it in your pants? How stupid are you?

Play nice ...don't call anyone stupid!
Some blades are getting lose overtime and slide too easily ,you move a lot during the day ,the blade slides against the material,and it makes a hole! You really do not have to be smart to know that !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back