Archived Flow TL wants me to Call out Logistics TL?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Title says most of it. Log TL wont help push and stands around brown nosing the STL. Flow TL works their ass off and helps our team tremendously. Log TL stops by helps push half an aisle and disappears. Our TLs usually strive to be part of the team and actually help out. I get that our TLs have to check other work centers some times but helping with half an aisle and disappearing for an hour regularly is not encouraging at all. So yeah, the flow TL asked multiple people on our truck team to call him out during our next huddle. They say they already called them out in private. They think if multiple team members speak up it will change his mind and he will get with it. At the moment most people on our team are talking a lot of shit about him behind his back which is rare for my store for any team lead to get that kind of flack or hate. So should we diffuse it during a huddle? How can I bring it up to the Log TL when I know they have a pretty defensive attitude? I'm a bit worried. Could HR help? I don't actually worry that much about it but I know you guys here have more insight than I do. Help me out. If you need more details...If they don't disclose the store I'm at I'm happy to share them.

This should definitely be done in private. Follow your chain of command. TL -> ETL -> STL. This feedback should be given to him by his peers or ETL.
The ETL is the LOG TL ...my bad if that wasn't clear. I could go to HR I suppose since they are also an ETL. The STL knows me well and would not be a problem to talk to but I don't want to bother them. It would be best in my opinion to solve it without involving the STL. If it came to that though, I have no worries. I just don't want to do it alone and it seems my entire team feels even less inspired to act on it and actually speak up. The only real issue at our store atm is our Log ETL.

It's the LOG ETLs responsibility to lead. As far as I can see from what you posted, the ETL is not doing anything wrong. If my ETL had to jump in and help my workcenter, I'd be embarrassed. It's your Flow TLs choice to jump in and help, they are not required to do so. I've learned from personal experience that leaders who literally have to work their ass off are doing poorly as leaders. Train, teach, follow up, and recognize and productivity will increase. There may be more to the story, but from what you posted, this is a non-issue.

It's the LOG ETLs responsibility to lead. As far as I can see from what you posted, the ETL is not doing anything wrong. If my ETL had to jump in and help my workcenter, I'd be embarrassed. It's your Flow TLs choice to jump in and help, they are not required to do so. I've learned from personal experience that leaders who literally have to work their ass off are doing poorly as leaders. Train, teach, follow up, and recognize and productivity will increase. There may be more to the story, but from what you posted, this is a non-issue.

It's a fine line, I agree if a leader is doing all the work and working harder than TMs they are probably burning themselves out without enough focus on training and development.

That said there is nothing wrong with ETLs jumping in and helping. It's their job to fill in the gaps, if your cart attendant calls out it is officially best practice for the ETLs to get carts and leave TMs to their work centers. Great leaders are able to teach AND work alongside their teams.

ETLs who believe certain task are beneath them are a big reason I am glad a lot of these ETL positions are going away. No one here is entitled to be a lazy bum, too much work to be done.

It's a fine line, I agree if a leader is doing all the work and working harder than TMs they are probably burning themselves out without enough focus on training and development.

That said there is nothing wrong with ETLs jumping in and helping. It's their job to fill in the gaps, if your cart attendant calls out it is officially best practice for the ETLs to get carts and leave TMs to their work centers. Great leaders are able to teach AND work alongside their teams.

ETLs who believe certain task are beneath them are a big reason I am glad a lot of these ETL positions are going away. No one here is entitled to be a lazy bum, too much work to be done.

Log TL stops by helps push half an aisle

o_O

What is the Log TL? Why are you differentiating between Flow and Log? Both are the same thing.

Your flow TL is wrong x20. Tell him/her to challenge her peers and get with the ETL if it's becoming an issue. This isn't something TMs need to be involved with on any level.

What is the Log TL? Why are you differentiating between Flow and Log? Both are the same thing.

Your flow TL is wrong x20. Tell him/her to challenge her peers and get with the ETL if it's becoming an issue. This isn't something TMs need to be involved with on any level.
I thought what you thought, until it was clarified that the LOG TL was actually the ETL LOG, which made the scenario even more baffling.

I'm assuming you mean etl log, if so, he shouldn't really have to push like others said. It's not really his job to push. His job is to manage the tl's and tms. My etl log does however push with the truck, but usually it's to make sure everything is on track and to make sure certain tms are doing their job. If your truck team needs help from an etl, then your etl isn't doing his job, because he/she isn't managing your team properly. It also sounds like your flow tl needs to be replaced for even bringing this to the tms and trying to get some sort of mutiny going on at target lol. If you have problems talk it out with hr.

Not sure why but we've had a flow Tl for years now and they just hired on a new one that we refer to as our logistics tl and we still call our original flow tl our flow tl..It seems our logistics TL does a lot more standing around and time crunching for hours while our flow tl actually leads our team on the floor as we push the truck. Our flow TL has expressed multiple times that our log tl has time to help us and simply doesn't. They tell us our goal times and go hang out and chat. That's not really professional, especially when we can see them chatting and doing nothing while we're on our knees filling end caps. Meanwhile our original flow tl is helping with breakout, helping on the line, directing people on what will be faster according to how the day is going. No truck is the same and the funny thing is our LOG tl knows this but pretends to be ignorant when they ask "you guys still aren't done over here?" Lol stfu this guy Time crunching for hours wouldn't be so bad if (in my opinion) we didn't have two TLs running the show during truck days. What a waste of money. Our original TL is amazing and we never had issues. All the log tl is doing is shaking up the team and suggesting new ways to do stuff which is fine if he wasn't such a pussy about helping us work those changes into our roles.

Butt out. As a flow tm I would not be calling out my Etl log, even if he was a slug. If your flow tl thought this was a good idea, then you have a bigger problem.
Yeah I don't want to start anything with any of my TLs so I don't really want to call him out. We have a few TMs who actually have been giving them backhanded/sarcastic compliments on how hard they work and the log tl just treats them like shit now. Nothing against policy. Just generally checking up on them more often, kind of harrassing them over how slow they're pushing an aisle, etc.

The ETL is the LOG TL ...my bad if that wasn't clear. I could go to HR I suppose since they are also an ETL. The STL knows me well and would not be a problem to talk to but I don't want to bother them. It would be best in my opinion to solve it without involving the STL. If it came to that though, I have no worries. I just don't want to do it alone and it seems my entire team feels even less inspired to act on it and actually speak up. The only real issue at our store atm is our Log ETL.

Mayday Mayday.

Do NOT call out an ETL, ever. Especially not at huddle. dude.

I just keep my head down and do my job. It's not My Job to police the ETLs.

You will only cause trouble for yourself.

Stay out of it.

Title says most of it. Log TL wont help push and stands around brown nosing the STL. Flow TL works their ass off and helps our team tremendously. Log TL stops by helps push half an aisle and disappears. Our TLs usually strive to be part of the team and actually help out. I get that our TLs have to check other work centers some times but helping with half an aisle and disappearing for an hour regularly is not encouraging at all. So yeah, the flow TL asked multiple people on our truck team to call him out during our next huddle. They say they already called them out in private. They think if multiple team members speak up it will change his mind and he will get with it. At the moment most people on our team are talking a lot of shit about him behind his back which is rare for my store for any team lead to get that kind of flack or hate. So should we diffuse it during a huddle? How can I bring it up to the Log TL when I know they have a pretty defensive attitude? I'm a bit worried. Could HR help? I don't actually worry that much about it but I know you guys here have more insight than I do. Help me out. If you need more details...If they don't disclose the store I'm at I'm happy to share them.

Nope. Not gonna happen. ETL will just think poorly of those team members, and he might even share his thoughts with other ETLs and the STL.

Nope.

I would not go to HR, either.

Unless the ETL is doing something against policy - like stealing, hitting on the team members, threatening team members, drinking on the clock - doing stuff that could hurt someone.

Yeah, my advice only applied when he was a TL. If you're in a green process, regardless of whether or not he's contributing to it, you can't call out the ETL. Regardless, half of the ETLs you meet will put a target on the back of your head if you call them out on something like that. That TL challenging upwards is a little more reasonable... Sounds like he's uncomfortable doing it himself?

I still don't understand what the issue is. They're bothered because the ETL-LOG isn't pushing or zoning aisles? Your Flow TL is giving you some really bad direction by trying to rally you all up. It's their job to bring that up to the ETL-Log if something is negatively impacting the process. Don't do it because you're only going to put a target on your back especially for something that isn't even an issue. This is pretty petty.

Thanks for all your advice! I actually talked to them today asked if they think I need improvement in anything and they said I do more than they expect and not to worry. I wonder if this could be solved the same way for everyone else. I mean it's not about them being an asshole or anything but they kind of just play off the fac they don't do as much as they say they do. I still get this bad vibe from the log etl because I have seen them goofing off on the job way too many times to count and then they come to us trying to time crunch us when we are a great team that already pushes as fast as possible. There's a few of my TMs that fuck around when it's a smaller truck or generally hate the new log etl...so that's a concern. I am getting worried about too much, I suppose. I actually need to help get some team members (like 2-3) coached up on not over stocking or flexing though. I work salesfloor on non truck days and hate having to backstock items that inconvenience my zoning. So annoying to go all the way to the back, find a backstock clip and walk back to my department.

Last edited:
I still don't understand what the issue is. They're bothered because the ETL-LOG isn't pushing or zoning aisles? Your Flow TL is giving you some really bad direction by trying to rally you all up. It's their job to bring that up to the ETL-Log if something is negatively impacting the process. Don't do it because you're only going to put a target on your back especially for something that isn't even an issue. This is pretty petty.

My thoughts exactly. I would rather reason with him and express the teams concerns but I don't want to express concerns that would be silly. My team seems to think he needs to be acting as a regular team member. We get a huge morale boost when our team leads hop in with us and help out so that's the thing my team is complaining about. It's good to know they aren't just sitting around bullshitting while we sweat our asses off. Then again, I am one of the very few on my team that get they have other duties in the morning and pushing an aisle over checking out other areas of the store would be a foolish move for them. To be fair, I think my team members that are angry are just mad about hours and maybe slightly irrational due to them barely making rent or paying bills. It's first quarter...they know they can't rely on hours here. Or they should by now. None of them are new. Flow keeps 4 or so folks a season and about 3 drop off. We don't have much turnover, our team knows each others like family. I just don't want this new family member to end up being the cause of random turnover. I couldn't imagine losing some of my key partners. On one hand I empathize with my team, on the other I don't see a reason to stir the pot so early in his employment. He might prove invaluable. I've never been to college but I feel like this is a behind the scenes hazing for him. I know the narrative of my posts have changed but that's because I changed my perspective after I posted this.

Last edited:
I would not go to HR, either.

Unless the ETL is doing something against policy - like stealing, hitting on the team members, threatening team members, drinking on the clock - doing stuff that could hurt someone.
What about constantly on his phone? He ignores service calls at 8 am when our hardline members aren't in yet on truck days and he is the only one with a mydevice i
Mayday Mayday.

Do NOT call out an ETL, ever. Especially not at huddle. dude.

I just keep my head down and do my job. It's not My Job to police the ETLs.

You will only cause trouble for yourself.

Stay out of it.

Honestly appreciate your feedback and have decided to just turn the other cheek on this and not worry. I am by far one of the hardest workers in my store so I don't have anything to worry about. They hardly bother me but I see co workers of mine that aren't lazy at all that get messed with by him. Not sure if they give off a lazy vibe or something to him or he just is stereotyping on their looks? Meh...I just compensate for them as much as possible so they look better. I don't want him criticizing my team when they work their asses off. Meeting goals is our thing. I refuse to see this ship sink. lol

can't finish my last sentence after the first quote due to some editing bug? but yeah my tls are the only ones with mydevices in the morning on truck days, yet they expect us to guest service anyone until electronics and A-B hardlines is there at 9 30 lmao...we are pushing truck and you want us to guest service? aint nobody got time for that...as some rapper must've said at one point.

Edit: I would like to recognize my two closing team leads and the hr team lead who closes once a week for being completely forgiving on how bad it can be and always going with best practice without making people feel bad. LOL Sorry had to cut the negativity in this thread I made.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back